Americans: your impression of Gordon Brown?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Blue Velvet, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

As I write, I'm listening to a live press conference from the White House with George Bush and Gordon Brown, the new (ish) British Prime Minister. You might be seeing pictures of this now or you might see him on the news later...

I know that Tony Blair was popular over there. What do you think of the new guy?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

All I've seen of him so far are news clips of him sucking up to Bush. I know everyone has to be diplomatic, but come on, punch Bush! :)

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i don't know what to think of him just yet. waiting to see how things go.
    and while i never minded Blair, i wasn't a huge fan either. too buddy-buddy with Bush for my liking.

we'll have to see how things go.

4. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Seems a bit more distinguished.

Tony Blair reminds me of one of those guys on those schlocky infomercials.

5. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I'd have a good impression of Brown if he put America in it's place and spoke out against our disastrous foreign policy. Otherwise I see him as I did Blair, which wasn't good.

6. Queso macrumors G4

You'll never get a British Prime Minister publicly criticising the United States. It's what gets said behind closed doors that's important.

7. calculus Guest

calculus

Yes, I agree with this. I suspect that Blair was much more of a civilising influence on Bush than we would know from what he said publicly.

8. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

My memories of Blair are a little different than the the rest of you. I remmeber him as good friends of Clinton. It seemed in the grand scheme of things, Blair was interested in promoting British interests in the United States and it really didn't matter to him who was in the WH. His job was to be nice to everybody.

Brown has kind of rubbed me wrong over the last few years as he has gotten ready to take over. A lot of times it felt like he was trying to prepare to build his legacy by not being so effective under Blair (just enough that it was never his fault) and thus being viewed as an improvement. I don't expect him to do much for Britan or for Labour if it doesn't fit his view of what it will take to build a legacy. Personally, I'd rather Cameron on Downing Street.

9. Queso macrumors G4

In Brown's defence I'll just say that you couldn't trust a single thing the Blair camp in Downing Street said, ever. Even if he did undermine some policies, it will not have been even a minute amount of what was attributed to him by Bliar's Spin Machine.

Blair will be remembered for the constant half-truths and misleading twisting of facts more than anything else.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Few impressions thus far, except that I've heard that his policy relationship with the U.S. and Europe is likely to be very similar to Blair's. Anyone hoping that Britain would lean more towards Europe and less towards the U.S. under Brown will probably be disappointed.

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Brown seems to be more or less a Blair spinoff. Nothing really original or groundbreaking.

12. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

I just hope that, behind Camp David's closed doors, Brown told him "enough is enough in Iraq. See you later." Somehow I doubt it though.

13. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

14. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I think he should be given a fair opportunity to see how well the big chair fits. I have not been watching any television lately, so I have missed Questions for the Prime Minister. That was my favorite forum for getting a 'feel' for the PM and other MPs. I actually liked John Major. I know his government was often underfire at home. But, I would characterize the conservatives more like moderates in America.

15. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Well, I saw Blair as a master of deception, but Brown is a little different. He's a master of double-speak.

While telling the British public he was giving the people and the parliament more powers over government, he is using global warming as an excuse to move all the laws of England under the EU.
    And it seems the staged terror when he came into office was a little too convenient for comfort.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

While were on the subject, what is the feeling about Britain and the EU? Seems to be a bit of resentment and resistance there.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

That was my point, in a way. I know if only from our discussions here that many Britons would like to see the UK move closer to Europe and further from the U.S., but to date they don't seem to have chosen a leader who will take that course.

18. Queso macrumors G4

The vast majority don't actually care either way. There's a rather vocal group at one end of the spectrum who divide their time between exaggerating flaws in the EU and pretending there's still a British Empire, and then there's the group I belong to who see the EU as the future and think we should dive headfirst into it as the only hope for shaping the Union into what we want (a family of closely linked countries) rather than how the Federalists see it. I'm glad we kept the Pound independent, but these idiots who call for British withdrawal are living in dreamland if they think that would help the economy one jot.

19. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

He must be doing an all right job or at least nothing to really screw things up because he's totally under the radar as far as I know, so it's hard to really have an impression.

Anyone else think it's odd that the new PM´s initials GB, are just like the country and the prez GB. I feel a total conspiratorial cover up going on. :)

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

He was? News to me. The only people who really seemed to know anything about him linked him to Bush, and therefor we really didn't. Too bad, he might have had a different legacy if we had elected someone else and/or he went a different direction with us. But he picked his horse, and stuck by him even when we knew things were going wrong. His own fault. I'd say he paid the price for it, but like us, you guys seemed to have a very weak opposition and just couldn't take him out. Unlike us though, at least your guy eventually took himself out which gave him a little dignity until he starts collecting that fat paycheck we've been hearing about for going private.

The new guy could be terrible, but his predecessor set the bar so low, it would be hard for him to come off worse.

22. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

i dunno..he does seem to be spending too much time with bush...

23. Queso macrumors G4

Parliament is in recess. Brown is therefore using the time to visit a number of key British allies and introduce himself. If it makes you feel better, he visited both Sarkozy and Merkel before visiting the US, and met with a number of other US politicians in Congress after leaving Camp David.

Bush is going to be increasingly seen as yesterday's man as the 2008 election gets closer. No need for Brown to spend too much time with him.

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

From what I'm reading today about their meetings and public appearances together, Brown is making a conspicuous effort to not appear as close to Bush on a personal and policy basis as Blair did. I'm sure in part this is just good domestic politics for Brown, but I'd like to think it also represents a new reality, for at least as long as we need to suffer with W.

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Who actually are elected officials in Great Britain, Why not have a prime Minister election so you can pick who you want.