America's angriest white men

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
A longish excerpt (sorry) from a much longer book excerpt in Salon:

Who are the white supremacists? There has been no formal survey, for obvious reasons, but there are several noticeable patterns. Geographically, they come from America’s heartland—small towns, rural cities, swelling suburban sprawl outside larger Sunbelt cities. These aren’t the prosperous towns, but the single-story working-class exurbs that stretch for what feels like forever in the corridor between Long Beach and San Diego (not the San Fernando Valley), or along the southern tier of Pennsylvania, or spread all through the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, across the vast high plains of eastern Washington and Oregon, through Idaho and Montana. There are plenty in the declining cities of the Rust Belt, in Dearborn and Flint, Buffalo and Milwaukee, in the bars that remain in the shadows of the hulking deserted factories that once were America’s manufacturing centers.
Perhaps what binds them all together, though, is class. Rural or small town, urban or suburban, the extreme Right is populated by downwardly mobile, lower-middle-class white men. All of the men I interviewed—all—fitted this class profile. When I compared with other ethnographies and other surveys, they all had the same profile as well.

In the United States, class is often a proxy for race. When politicians speak of the “urban poor,” we know it’s a code for black people. When they talk about “welfare queens,” we know the race of that woman driving the late-model Cadillac. In polite society, racism remains hidden behind a screen spelled CLASS.

On the extreme Right, by contrast, race is a proxy for class. Among the white supremacists, when they speak of race consciousness, defending white people, protesting for equal rights for white people, they actually don’t mean all white people. They don’t mean Wall Street bankers and lawyers, though they are pretty much entirely white and male. They don’t mean white male doctors, or lawyers, or architects, or even engineers. They don’t mean the legions of young white hipster guys, or computer geeks flocking to the Silicon Valley, or the legions of white preppies in their boat shoes and seersucker jackets “interning” at white-shoe law firms in major cities. Not at all. They mean middle-and working-class white people. Race consciousness is actually class consciousness without actually having to “see” class. “Race blindness” leads working-class people to turn right; if they did see class, they’d turn left and make common cause with different races in the same economic class.
That such ardent patriots are so passionately antigovernment might strike the observer as contradictory. After all, are these not the same men who served their country in Vietnam or in the Gulf War? Are these not the same men who believe so passionately in the American Dream? Are they not the backbone of the Reagan Revolution? Indeed, they are. The extreme Right faces the difficult cognitive task of maintaining their faith in America and in capitalism and simultaneously providing an analysis of an indifferent state, at best, or an actively interventionist one, at worst, and a way to embrace capitalism, despite a cynical corporate logic that leaves them, often literally, out in the cold—homeless, jobless, hopeless.
http://www.salon.com/2013/11/17/americas_angriest_white_men_up_close_with_racism_rage_and_southern_supremacy/

The point of this examination being, why, when modern corporate interests have eliminated the jobs, careers, and vocations that the lower middle class depended upon, do angry white men blame everyone else?

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
A longish excerpt (sorry) from a much longer book excerpt in Salon:

http://www.salon.com/2013/11/17/americas_angriest_white_men_up_close_with_racism_rage_and_southern_supremacy/

The point of this examination being, why, when modern corporate interests have eliminated the jobs, careers, and vocations that the lower middle class depended upon, do angry white men blame everyone else?
it is the uneducated who tend to blame everyone else for THEIR misfortunes, if you are not doing well, blame the fat ugly bald beaner in the mirror. oh, wait, that's me, change the bold above as you see fit :D

ElectronGuru

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
The question kind of answers itself. Someone who believes in themselves and believes in the country and believes in capitalism can't blame any of those things when something goes wrong. These beliefs used to be an asset. They've only recently become a liability.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
OK, so you dismiss the source.

But what about the premise? Do you deny the assertion that most of the angriest people, the sort of folks you hear blaming Obama for pretty much everything, are poorly educated white men?

I've never seen an "Impeach Obama" bumper sticker on a Mercedes. But I see plenty on rusty old pickup trucks and clapped out Hyundais. (Not a scientific survey, but still...)

Take a look at the sort of comments you see on FoxNews.com or Yahoo news. The more the comment rails against Obama/Democrats/Liberals - the more likely it is to be ungrammatical, poorly spelled and racist.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget

But what about the premise? Do you deny the assertion that most of the angriest people, the sort of folks you hear blaming Obama for pretty much everything, are poorly educated white men?

I've never seen an "Impeach Obama" bumper sticker on a Mercedes. But I see plenty on rusty old pickup trucks and clapped out Hyundais. (Not a scientific survey, but still...)

Take a look at the sort of comments you see on FoxNews.com or Yahoo news. The more the comment rails against Obama/Democrats/Liberals - the more likely it is to be ungrammatical, poorly spelled and racist.
where are you getting the impression that "most" of the people who have an issue with Obama are " poorly educated white men?"???????

what an awesome broad brush you have there :rolleyes:

CalWizrd

Suspended
Jun 21, 2011
NYC/Raleigh, NC

Wow. What an incredibly biased, ivory tower liberal conclusion. As if you can't possibly comprehend someone with intelligence having a problem with Obama's very obvious lack of even the most miniscule leadership or management skills.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
where are you getting the impression that "most" of the people who have an issue with Obama are " poorly educated white men?"???????
That's a straw man argument.

He didn't say that. He said that "most of the angriest people, the sort of folks you hear blaming Obama for pretty much everything, are poorly educated white men."

people who have an issue with /= angriest people, the sort of folks you hear blaming Obama for pretty much everything

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012

Yes...I totally dismiss the source. 100%.

No I would not consider them poorly educated, angry, racist white men.

You have to clarify something for me. The democrats like to state that republicans are a bunch of rich people voting for rich people who only care about rich people....

But here you have republicans classified as Uneducated, poor, angry, racist white guys in beat down trucks not being able to afford a Mercedes.

Which is it?

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
No I would not consider them poorly educated, angry, racist white men.
How can you not consider them to be poorly educated, angry, racist white men? The article is about poorly educated, angry, racist white men, so by definition they are that. It's a tautology.

----------

You have to clarify something for me. The democrats like to state that republicans are a bunch of rich people voting for rich people who only care about rich people....
Obviously that can't be true. The rich don't make up roughly 50% of the voting population. Republicans include people of all income levels.

Can you find sources for your claim that Democrats like to state that all Republicans are rich people?

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Trying to have a discussion with someone who hasn't bothered to read the article is proving to be a waste of time. (Well, duh..)

Its your loss, because the article (excerpted from a much longer book) doesn't merely dismiss the anger among some of these people - it puts it in context. I don't necessarily agree with the conclusions these (the angry white) guys come up with, but at least it helps me to understand their perspective.

“As rural communities started to collapse,” Davidson writes, the Far Right “could be seen at farm auctions comforting families . . . confirming what rural people knew to be true: that their livelihoods, their families, their communities—their very lives—were falling apart.” In stark contrast to the government indifference encountered by rural Americans, a range of Far Right groups, most recently the militias, have seemingly provided support, community, and answers.
Emphasis mine.

That doesn't make me agree with these right-wing people. But it does make it easier for me to understand their appeal.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
Too bad. You probably would find it interesting.

But here you have republicans classified as Uneducated, poor, angry, racist white guys in beat down trucks not being able to afford a Mercedes.

Which is it?
You really should read the article, because, you jumped to a conclusion about Democrats and Republicans up there.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
Too bad. You probably would find it interesting.

You really should read the article, because, you jumped to a conclusion about Democrats and Republicans up there.
I have now read it, and my response you were referring to was not responding to the article, but to the posters comments.

Trying to have a discussion with someone who hasn't bothered to read the article is proving to be a waste of time. (Well, duh..)

Its your loss, because the article (excerpted from a much longer book) doesn't merely dismiss the anger among some of these people - it puts it in context. I don't necessarily agree with the conclusions these (the angry white) guys come up with, but at least it helps me to understand their perspective.

Emphasis mine.

That doesn't make me agree with these right-wing people. But it does make it easier for me to understand their appeal.
Okay, I decided to read it, and it was standard Salon. No different then me posting infowars. And the only loss was taking the time to read it. I want a do over and that time back.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
Okay, I decided to read it, and it was standard Salon.
In what way was it "standard Salon"? The content is somewhat unusual, actually, so you don't see things like it everywhere. In terms of the people interviewed, and so on, it has something in common with the article in another thread on people living in Appalachia. That article was from National Review, not Salon.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Not only do they blame everyone else, but then they continue to vote for the same party that caused the majority of these problems in the first place. You can bet the vaaast majority of the people this article is talking about voted for Romney in the last election.

Right, because if it's not foxnews.com or Rush Limbaugh's blog, then it's not credible. Right?

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
Wow. What an incredibly biased, ivory tower liberal conclusion. As if you can't possibly comprehend someone with intelligence having a problem with Obama's very obvious lack of even the most miniscule leadership or management skills.
I suspect that angry, white males have a tendency to be hyperbolic as well.

CalWizrd

Suspended
Jun 21, 2011
NYC/Raleigh, NC
When responding to hyperbole I don't feel the need to put in much effort.
OK, I'll eliminate the hyperbolic effect...

On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is Justin Bieber and 10 is Tim Cook, where would you rate Obama's management skills?

On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is Ted Kaczynski and 10 is Winston Churchill, where would you rate Obama's leadership skills?

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
He is quite eloquent... I'll concede that.
If you have anything to contribute to the discussion other than your contempt for Barack Obama, I'd be more than interested in listening to it.

But over the past several years, I haven't seen much evidence that Republicans have got anything else to say.

Prove me wrong - but I don't think you can.