America's angriest white men

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Apr 11, 2014.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

A longish excerpt (sorry) from a much longer book excerpt in Salon:

http://www.salon.com/2013/11/17/americas_angriest_white_men_up_close_with_racism_rage_and_southern_supremacy/

The point of this examination being, why, when modern corporate interests have eliminated the jobs, careers, and vocations that the lower middle class depended upon, do angry white men blame everyone else?

2. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

it is the uneducated who tend to blame everyone else for THEIR misfortunes, if you are not doing well, blame the fat ugly bald beaner in the mirror. oh, wait, that's me, change the bold above as you see fit :D

3. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

The question kind of answers itself. Someone who believes in themselves and believes in the country and believes in capitalism can't blame any of those things when something goes wrong. These beliefs used to be an asset. They've only recently become a liability.

4. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

OK, so you dismiss the source.

But what about the premise? Do you deny the assertion that most of the angriest people, the sort of folks you hear blaming Obama for pretty much everything, are poorly educated white men?

I've never seen an "Impeach Obama" bumper sticker on a Mercedes. But I see plenty on rusty old pickup trucks and clapped out Hyundais. (Not a scientific survey, but still...)

Take a look at the sort of comments you see on FoxNews.com or Yahoo news. The more the comment rails against Obama/Democrats/Liberals - the more likely it is to be ungrammatical, poorly spelled and racist.

6. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

where are you getting the impression that "most" of the people who have an issue with Obama are " poorly educated white men?"???????

what an awesome broad brush you have there :rolleyes:

7. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Wow. What an incredibly biased, ivory tower liberal conclusion. As if you can't possibly comprehend someone with intelligence having a problem with Obama's very obvious lack of even the most miniscule leadership or management skills.

8. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

That's a straw man argument.

He didn't say that. He said that "most of the angriest people, the sort of folks you hear blaming Obama for pretty much everything, are poorly educated white men."

people who have an issue with /= angriest people, the sort of folks you hear blaming Obama for pretty much everything

9. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Yes...I totally dismiss the source. 100%.

No I would not consider them poorly educated, angry, racist white men.

You have to clarify something for me. The democrats like to state that republicans are a bunch of rich people voting for rich people who only care about rich people....

But here you have republicans classified as Uneducated, poor, angry, racist white guys in beat down trucks not being able to afford a Mercedes.

Which is it?

10. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

How can you not consider them to be poorly educated, angry, racist white men? The article is about poorly educated, angry, racist white men, so by definition they are that. It's a tautology.

----------

Obviously that can't be true. The rich don't make up roughly 50% of the voting population. Republicans include people of all income levels.

Can you find sources for your claim that Democrats like to state that all Republicans are rich people?

11. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Trying to have a discussion with someone who hasn't bothered to read the article is proving to be a waste of time. (Well, duh..)

Its your loss, because the article (excerpted from a much longer book) doesn't merely dismiss the anger among some of these people - it puts it in context. I don't necessarily agree with the conclusions these (the angry white) guys come up with, but at least it helps me to understand their perspective.

Emphasis mine.

That doesn't make me agree with these right-wing people. But it does make it easier for me to understand their appeal.

12. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Too bad. You probably would find it interesting.

You really should read the article, because, you jumped to a conclusion about Democrats and Republicans up there.

13. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I have now read it, and my response you were referring to was not responding to the article, but to the posters comments.

Okay, I decided to read it, and it was standard Salon. No different then me posting infowars. And the only loss was taking the time to read it. I want a do over and that time back.

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You mean there are people who aren't angry at Obama?

15. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

In what way was it "standard Salon"? The content is somewhat unusual, actually, so you don't see things like it everywhere. In terms of the people interviewed, and so on, it has something in common with the article in another thread on people living in Appalachia. That article was from National Review, not Salon.

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Not only do they blame everyone else, but then they continue to vote for the same party that caused the majority of these problems in the first place. You can bet the vaaast majority of the people this article is talking about voted for Romney in the last election.

Right, because if it's not foxnews.com or Rush Limbaugh's blog, then it's not credible. Right?

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

At this point, I can't see why, but I think there remain good reasons and bad reasons to be angry at the administration.

Too often Republicans pick the worst reasons to be mad at the administration.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I suspect that angry, white males have a tendency to be hyperbolic as well.

19. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

... and you, I assume, are of the opinion that Obama possesses any management or leadership skills of measurable quantity?

He is quite eloquent... I'll concede that.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Yes. Greater than zero is a certainty.

21. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

That was quite a cop-out on the subject.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

When responding to hyperbole I don't feel the need to put in much effort.

23. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

OK, I'll eliminate the hyperbolic effect...

On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is Justin Bieber and 10 is Tim Cook, where would you rate Obama's management skills?

On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is Ted Kaczynski and 10 is Winston Churchill, where would you rate Obama's leadership skills?

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

25. vrDrew macrumors 65816

If you have anything to contribute to the discussion other than your contempt for Barack Obama, I'd be more than interested in listening to it.

But over the past several years, I haven't seen much evidence that Republicans have got anything else to say.

Prove me wrong - but I don't think you can.