America's kids got more stupid in reading, math and science

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Feb 9, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017...d-science-while-team-obama-was-in-charge.html
    Obama is the easy target while the problem is pretty complicated.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Who the hell writes something like "more stupid" in an "article" regarding student achievement?

The irony.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

it's an "opinion" piece on faux news, but as said we have a complicated issue with it comes to tackling education.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Of course we do, good thing we just put an out and out dunce in charge.

Seriously, she can't even speak to the actual issues in the learning process, but instead insists it's all about firing people and allowing religious institutions taking taxpayer money to ignore federal law. She also had to have explained to her just wtf federal jurisdiction was in regards to education policy...in the ****ing confirmation hearings.

We've had neoliberal policies running the show for education for over 20 years, evidenced by the massive explosion in "administration" jobs that don't have anything to do with eduction. That's a bloated business operation if I've ever seen one, better double down on it I guess?

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

opening doors to other educational institutions MIGHT trim down all the fat the public education system is dealing with, no longer will they get guaranteed students, that my friend is a good thing IMHO.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I read the title on Yahoo (which linked to Fox) and I was like, really, talking about kids being less intelligent when using improper grammar??

7. samcraig macrumors P6

Smokescreen to try and convince people that DeVos can't possibly be worse. Trust me - she can be.

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I think teachers should be paid more, to incentivize at least some of those with talent to teach instead of going into industry.

Right now, if you get a masters degree in some kind of math topic, you're probably going to either an investment firm or a tech company. Very very very few go into teaching, because the pay is just not at all on par with investment firm or tech company pay.

9. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

....That doesn't make sense. The entire public school system (as well as public colleges) has seen administrative roles more than double in the last two decades. That's across the board. What in the world does "opening doors" do when it's the same general structure in these others schools?

That "fat" isn't the special needs children that public schools are required (for good reason) to support are they?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2017 ---
    Here in CT you're required to have a Masters degree within 2 years of your hiring. That's for everyone, including gym teachers. Absurd requirements that only further push systemically underpaid teachers further towards the poverty line.

11. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

My nephew and my cousin both believed that Trump was the reason why weed was legalized, which, according to them, was the only good thing that resulted from Trump's election win. They are nearing their end of HS, and have definitely covered US Government / History. I couldn't even facepalm.

Also, I blame them illegal immigrants for coming into America, having them illegal kids enter our public schools, and lowering the OECD. #AlternateFacts <-- In case it's not clear, I'm being sarcastic

12. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Not just CT, that's everywhere now I think.

The issue is (correct me if I'm wrong, teachers) the masters doesn't have to be entirely in your field of teaching. For example, a math teacher can have a masters in childhood development or something. Indeed, the majority of masters held by teachers are in some education- or childhood-related field. There is nothing wrong with these areas of study, but I think more should have a masters in the area they teach, especially math and science. My best math and science teachers were the ones that had a passion for the subject, and had loads of anecdotes from their times as researchers.

I worked at Cambridge College as an computer fixer help desk guy for a summer. For those that don't know, that is a school that has a rapid masters program over the course of several summers designed specifically for teachers, and thus a lot of teachers go there for the summer. It was a great job, and it seems like the staff at that school does good work. The students (teachers) there were all very nice and clearly passionate about teaching, but oh boy some of the ones that told me they teach middle school science or math shocked me. Sorry, I don't care what degree you have, if you don't know how to open an email attachment, you're not qualified to teach science class in 2017.

13. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

kill the useless administrative roles.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Exactly. A principle doesn't need two (or three) secretaries keeping his schedule.

15. kobalap macrumors 6502

You know how media is... incredibly biased. The contents of the article are likely fake too.

16. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Some of it is the dumbing-down. Anecdotal example: In 1943 I learned the times tables to 12x12. In 1992, I saw a TV clip of a 3rd grade teacher being proud of her class learning the times table to 10x10.

In listening to what parents of school-age kids say, it appears that course material is rather shallow.

In college, 1959-1962, it was not uncommon for an engineering major in danger of flunking out to change his major to Education and make the Dean's list. Colleges of Education don't seem to have gotten better with age.

Costs? In the 1990s per an article in the Tallahassee Democrat, the school district had more administrative staff in the headquarters building than it had teachers in the schools.

17. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I got "more stupid" after reading the entire article.:mad: I guess the author's intended audience reads at a 1st grade level.o_O Good grammar is merely a suggestion at this point.:(

18. kobalap macrumors 6502

The problem is worse. The guy we voted in as president was one of the biggest proponents of for profit universities. "For profit university" being a euphemism for "organization whose sole purpose is to fleece undereducated/unsuspecting" people.

I'd just like to state clearly, this isn't a republican we elected. It's a con man.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Given that the GOP's rhetoric hasn't held any relation to the actual legislation and policies they've been putting in place for the last 20 years...what's the difference?

20. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Where is the poverty line in Connecticut?
    The starting wage for a teacher seems slightly above the federal poverty line.

21. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

So it seems popular opinion is that the education system in the US isn't very good and DeVos will make it worse. Can anyone say what could make it better?

22. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

yeah, everyone knows it's stupider. ;)

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Wage freezes, paying for supplies out of pocket, educational debt, etc. These will all will sink you. There is a reason why teachers are notorious for having second jobs to pay the bills.

24. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Yes the requirement is just a masters and I think it's simply because the masters requirement is reasonably new as a nation wide policy. My fathers degree is in mechanical engineering and he taught shop class until it turned into tech, then in is last five years it was tech and math.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Glad my kid will be going to school in Canada.