America's "Toughest Sheriff" Under Investigation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Peace, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

PHOENIX -- The Justice Department has announced it is investigating Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio over accusations of civil rights violations.

In a letter sent from justice officials to the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office, Loretta King, the acting assistant attorney general wrote, "our investigation will focus on alleged patterns of discriminatory police practices and unconstitutional searches and seizures conducted by the MCSO."

http://www.kpho.com/news/18902485/detail.html

And it's about time.

2. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Great! I'm glad someone made a thread about this. I meant to the other day but completely forgot once I got to a computer.

This guy is a complete joke. His "crime suppression sweeps" are nothing more than blatant civil rights violations. His deputies set up in a heavily Hispanic neighborhood and pull over any brown person for the smallest of traffic violations (cracked windshields are a favorite), then ask for documentation of residency/citizenship. He's allowed to do this because of the 287(g) agreement with the Department of Homeland Security.

And that's not all either. Many people have died in his custody for a variety of reasons, ranging from neglect and abuse. He has lost many many many lawsuits and as a result our county has had to pay out tens of millions in wrongful death suits.

In the article, he mentions he "welcomes the Justice Department", but in reality he will obstruct every little step of the way. It's his M.O. Whenever he is under investigation for anything he will draw out the process as long as legally possible to make any investigation of him difficult.

This scumbag belongs in prison. Its so embarrassing living in the county where this ******* was re-elected with large margins in November.

EDIT:

Maricopa County has had to pay out $43 million as a result of this guy.

3. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

This is the third thing I've heard about police in America in the space of a week. First was the guys that battered that poor girl. Then there was the police that were 'confiscating' peoples stuff or threatening to take their children into care. Now there is this.

What is the deal!

4. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

This guy isn't anything new. He's been like this since he's been Sheriff here. Many groups have been opposing him practically the entire time he's been in office. It's just now that the federal government is opening an investigation into what has been blatantly obvious to Maricopa County residents for years.

5. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Because it is not a common occurrence it is still news. Be very afraid of the day when such activities are so ho-hum that they don't make the front page.

6. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Well, thank you for that lesson in backwards logic but you missed one thing out. The day where it wasn't in the news simply because it doesn't happen.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, he is re-elected. Must be something about elections and scumbags??

I do like his sound bites though, as do his constituents.

I guess we have gone French after-all, for you have declared him guilty until proven innocent.

And as the Department of Homeland Security gave his this "tool", would you not have him use it??

Something like when people jump in front of subway trains?? :rolleyes:

8. Peace thread starter macrumors P6

Peace

The guy runs what amounts to internment camps. He's a frackin Nazi..He has abused the idea of "Homeland Security". Which I happen to have a great distaste for. The very idea of "Homeland Security" reminds me of Hitler and thats not good.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

There are almost 1 million law enforcement agents in the US. Odds are some of them are bad apples. ;)

Lethal

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That's how he treats people, especially if you're brown.

11. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I know he's guilty, as does any other Maricopa County resident who isn't a racist (his constituents). This guy has broken the law so much over the years, but the politicized Justice Department of the last 8 years has done nothing about it.

12. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Do tell what laws has he broken?

13. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

As I am so frequently asked here, where are your facts to prove this?

14. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

plus 1... still waiting.

15. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

So the people who vote for him are racists? Leave Arizona and don't come back. I for one think he his doing a good job. He makes me not want to go to his jails...

There is no middle of the road when it comes to Arpaio. You either like him or hate him, and I happen to like him. But that does make me or anyone else who voted for the man a racist. So you can take that accusation and politely shove it... :eek:

I am with the others, please provide your proof. You want to watch the news that demonizes the guy for having the balls to do what most other police agencies would never dream of because they are afraid of public opinion. It's refreshing to see someone do something that may go against "societies thoughts on law enforcement". And the funny thing about it is when I look at the news and images of who is in tent city it's a lot of white people.

He's trying to crack down on the illegal alien problem. You break the law you go to jail, what's hard about this concept? You don't want to go to his jail and deal with pink underwear and green bologna, don't break the law....

16. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Before I say what I'm going to say, just know that I don't know anything about this guy, so I'm just going on the statement I'm quoting.

As long as the police are pulling people over for actual laws being broken, no matter how small, I don't see a problem with it. And it might sound racist because they are pulling over more "brown" people, but come on... it's in a state that borders Mexico. My guess would be that most illegal immigrants coming into the country would be from Mexico, and that most of them would be entering the country through a state that borders it.

17. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

It'll come. I haven't been at a computer since I was posting yesterday.

18. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

No, there is a problem. To begin with, Arpaio doesn't claim these sweeps are for illegal immigrants. He calls them "crime suppression sweeps" or something as ridiculous. It just so happens that every single one of these "crime suppression sweeps" have been in low-income and predominately Hispanic neighborhoods. Secondly, once in the "sweep" area, his deputies pull over a disproportionate amount of brown people. But of course, he pulls over plenty of legal citizens or residents of this country, and treats them as though they are illegal (demanding proof of citizenship or residency).

He routinely violates the 287(g) agreement with the DHS (if not the law, at least the spirit of the law) by rounding up undocumented immigrants based on minor charges (like cracked windshields, or sometimes his deputies just break the law entirely), while the law was intended for police officers to use that power on major crimes like smuggling, violent crimes, drugs etc...

He is accused of violating the first amendment rights of The Phoenix New Times (the only media critical of Arpaio here in Phoenix). He served a subpoena to the paper demanding "all documents related to articles and other content published by Phoenix New Times newspaper in print and on the Phoenix New Times website, regarding Sheriff Joe Arpaio from January 1, 2004 to the present." He also demanded to know the identity of every person that had looked at the New Times online since January 1, 2004. After the editors of the paper had written an article addressing the subpoena, his deputies had them arrested. A judge later found that the subpoena's were not legally issued, and now the New Times is suing Arpaio (and our County Attorney and another prosecutor) for negligence, conspiracy and racketeering, and State and U.S. constitutional violations of free speech rights, false imprisonment, retaliation by law enforcement and abuse of process. And we the county taxpayers have to pick up the tab to defend that guy.

He recently segregated his jail, by forcing 200 unsentenced individuals (who the Sheriff presumes to be "illegal") to march to a segregated area of the jail.

I can see though that nothing will convince any of you that this guy has no place being in any position of power. He routinely harasses and intimidates his opponents (accusing a previous election competitor of a sex offense - it of course, was not founded in any truth).

And jonbravo77, I wasn't accusing you of being a racist. I should have said "not all Arpaio supporters are racists, but all racists are Arpaio supporters". You yourself might not be a racist, but you're in the company of plenty of them. If you don't believe me, just take a look at the people that show up to the next pro-Arpaio rally.

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Wonder how many people involved in this investigation will themselves be embarrassed, arrested, or investigated.

Seems reporters who write articles against him and expose him tend to get arrested and released quite often.

20. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

So basically they would just have to show a driver's license and everything would be fine. Again, I'm not for this guy because I know nothing about him, I was merely saying that I don't see anything wrong with doing road "sweeps" to find illegal immigrants. As long as you're a legal citizen, there should be no problem.

21. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

That's how he runs things here. He frequently intimidates to get his way. Just recently he had a tantrum about how he doesn't get free parking at the airport to transfer inmates (by the way, he had free parking for years before he made his tantrum). He said that he would start transferring inmates on our new light rail system as a cost-saving measure if he didn't get free parking, which he already had (free parking at airport vs. not free on the light rail, how does that work?). The airport caved and gave him free parking, which he already had.

He does this sort of thing often.

No, there is a problem when he is profiling and asking for that documentation from brown people only. You might think that violating the rights of legal citizens is fine as long as a few undocumented get picked up, but I find it to be completely inexcusable and indefensible.

22. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

23. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I agree.

I absolutely applaud this sherrif. if you don't like the rules of the house first don't ask to move in, but if you insist on moving in don't bitch about the conditions, since you chose your path.

24. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

So you all think it is perfectly fine for legal residents and citizens of this country to be harassed along the way, as long as the Sheriff finds a few undocumented immigrants in the bunch?

I mean, this guy has set up a hotline for people to call if they suspect someone of being an undocumented immigrant. How do you think most people who call that number would make that judgment?

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And, I could be wrong, but from what I've read about Jackass Joe, a drivers license isn't enough documentation, you need a birth certificate or passport or something like that to prove you're a legal resident, because you know, I carry my birth certificate and passport with me all the time :rolleyes: