AMEX Purchase Protection Refunded my money bought 1st day

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pugnut, Sep 6, 2007.

1. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Just spoke to Amex 1-800-322-1277 and they told me that they would normally not cover, but they are in this instence. The credited my money $210 to the card. Includes VA tax.

I would strongly recommned that you call them asap.

2. netronin macrumors member

Interesting... I called them yesterday and they said the buyer protection program was stopped last October (I have a gold rewards AMEX) and the best they could do was put a charge back on the $200 and investigate the
    issue. Which card do you carry and did you have to escalate to a manager?

Thanks

3. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

Purchase Protection covers theft and damage not price changes.

4. pugnut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Card Information and Amex link

I have platinum, but made the purchase with the Delta Sky Miles account. The confirmed that they would not normally cover, but they were recently told they would. I looked on the internet yesterday and they noticed the same thing about the cancellation. The other thing was I thought it was 60 days.

I called after I noticed someone else on another board so I gave it a shot and it worked. I would recommend calling the number .

Hey is the link to the active website

https://www124.americanexpress.com/...n_ALLCCSG_SharedDetails&type=intBenefitDetail

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I wonder if there is a difference depending on the AMEX card one has?
    - Regular
    - Gold
    - Platinum
    etc.

Guess I need to read my card holders agreement.

I am sure the same holds true with Visa or MC. It depends on the card.

6. pugnut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just again confimed with amex

They indicated that this is a Ad-HOC program, not covered under specific programs, but are doing it for valued card members.

I would recommned that you call and ask for yourself, they will tell you the same thing.

I did not give them my card information, just asked a general question. I gave him my claim number afterwards and he confirmed that $210 will be credited.

7. Twinkie macrumors regular

I called and asked if they'd do it, and the person knew exactly what I was talking about, and gave me the credit with no pushback whatsoever.

And this is why I use my AmEx everywhere. Best card ever.

8. amemoryoncelost macrumors 6502

Damn, think I may need to check into one of these cards... Not only are you going to get your money back, but you're still gonna get that $100 from apple, ugh...

9. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

He SHOULDN'T get the $100 gift card if he is getting his money because it is like he is paying the new price. Someone buying an iPhone now would not get the $100, so why should someone who gets the difference be any different? Apple is doing a really nice thing, I don't think it is fair to them or anyone else to "double dip", just for an extra $100.

10. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

Just called in... They only do it on 8gb phones, NOT THE 4gb PHONES!!! She was all ready to do it and then asked is it the 4 or 8 and I said 4 and she said, "ooooh............., sorry but my supervisor said only the 8s..." I'm calling back right now to just say I have an 8 w/ the 8gb model # and hope they do it... lol

11. Twinkie macrumors regular

That's somewhat debatable.

While I think the $100 store credit is an awesome gesture on Apple's part, it isn't like they're giving you a rebate check.

Unless you wanted something from the Apple Store anyway (at full retail + tax), it isn't as though people with price protection programs on their credit cards are cashing in.

12. Twinkie macrumors regular

Um... before you go trying to scam AmEx, do you really think they aren't going to look at your account to see what you paid?

They're not dumb. They'll know that you didn't pay < $599 for an 8GB model.

13. jkwuc89 macrumors member

jkwuc89

I am on hold right now with AMEX. I have a Hilton Honors Platinum card with them. I bought the 8 GB on the first day. Hopefully, the price difference credit will be as painless as reported on this thread. I'll post again with my results.

14. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

Well I just tried saying I have an 8gb iPhone and they DID process the claim; however, the person that eventually processess the claim within the 2 week time period may reject it. Who knows...? If I get it great, if not, I'm not terribly disappointed anymore because Apple is giving the $100 giftcard :)

15. b-real macrumors newbie

Just got off the phone with AmEx and I got a question for all you guys who've already done this: did you get the credit back instantly? I filed a claim and the rep was really helpful and knew exactly why I was calling. She entered the info and told me that it will be going to a reviewer and may take a couple of weeks to process. I'm thinking that there's a good chance that the claim will be denied now that Apple has come out with their $100 credit. What do you guys think?

16. Fuj macrumors newbie

The refund by Amex has nothing to do with apple. It is a benefit of being an Amex cardholder that a lot of folks pay for to have the card. Apple feeling guilty by screwing us and offering the $100 coupon is an Apple issue and something there is better than nothing but it doesnt have anything to do with the benefits an amex card provides. Thats why i use my amex all the time.

Apple should realize that any time they launch a new product all of us will hesitate at least 65 days before buying - history shows you could save 33%! I for one will never buy a new Apple product until after the 2 month price drop. So dont go run out and buy the new ipod - wait 2 months and save some money. This has to impact future apple launches no doubt.

17. jkwuc89 macrumors member

jkwuc89

This is going quite well! For valued AMEX card holders, they are accepting claims for 8 GB iPhone purchases even though they no longer offer the price protection program. Mine was purchased on day 1 which was over 60 days ago. The representative I am speaking with has been very friendly and very professional. I was told to expect a credit on my account in no more than two weeks.

18. pugnut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Amex

The 2 weeks is the standard disclaimer. They told me the same thing and when presed the women told me that I will see the credit in a day or two,she told me they are auto approved.

In speaking to them the second time I am wondering if Amex is working directly with apple. There were a few things during the conversation that made me think that. They told me that this credit will not be affected unless Apple decided to directly credit the card.

On another note Amex is not going to stick their nexk out for customers by telling them this is a good will move and pull it out. If anything they may reduce the credit by the $100 dollars, but highly doubt it.

19. b-real macrumors newbie

I believe this is a service offered to premium charge card holders (i.e. cards w/ annual fee).

20. amemoryoncelost macrumors 6502

Well, so thinking I needed to get me a new card and everything, i checked the benefits of my mastercard and lo and behold, I have price protection on mine. I just called in and filed a claim, I'll need to submit a couple of things, receipts and everything, but it sounded hopeful. Would be nice to get the money back, would ditch out on the $100 from apple for it obviously...

21. xploit macrumors regular

amex

I carry a platinum amex card the number on the back 800-492-8468 I called this number 5 minutes ago and spoke to a customer service guy. He told me that there was some BEST somthing guarantee but it has since been discontinued. He said he would research it and call me back as to if AMEX is doing anything for its customers concerning the IPHONE. I will keep you posted. It sounds suspicious to me but I would definitely love to get 200 back .

X

22. pugnut thread starter macrumors 6502a

xploit Are you Serious

I have a platinum card and called the number, not on the back of the card, from the Amex Web page I attached in a previous post and no issues.

Did you bother to call the number in the post ?

23. aristobrat macrumors G4

Yeah, the Best Price guarantee or something like that. I called the number on the back of my card earlier this morning and was told the same thing.

I just called the number off of the OP (which goes to the Purchase Protection area) and the said that while price differences aren't normally covered, as "good-will", they'd submit the claim and see if it gets approved.

So ... try calling the number at the top of the thread. :)

24. Natalia81 macrumors regular

I called this number and first started off by asking if their protection plan covered reimbursements of price changes after a certain amount of time. The guy responds with "can I have your account # that you purchased our iphone with?"...huh? "so you know why I'm calling...". haha. He knew exactly why I was calling.

Anyways, he said AMEX discontinued the Best Price guarantee about a year ago. But he was going to see if they could make a "ONE time exception" for this. He took my information and then gave me a claim number. Said it would take about 2 weeks before I know anything. Either the credit my card or send me a letter saying it was rejected.

So I guess I'll wait and see.

25. Partridge macrumors 6502

Pretty much the same thing here. He started off by explaining exactly what the purchase protection program is supposed to cover, but that they are well aware of the iphone situation, and they are making a one time exception for valued customers.

As far as AMEX is concerned, it's a huge PR opportunity. Just how many of us who get a refund are going to be spouting off about how fortunate we are that we used our AMEX cards instead of another credit or debit card for our large purchase?

Priceless.