Amid #MeToo, radio station nixes 'Baby, It's Cold Outside'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Dec 3, 2018.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

http://www.foxla.com/news/amid-meto...MLwdYneFGThMX7Epo4hKDAUygDg4dFNntrobHia9NJ3H0
    is rap next?
    [​IMG]

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yeah, guys are no longer actively pursuing the fairer sex - these days we have to line up and wait for them to come to us with a binder of consent forms and waivers. Both sides meet with their respective attorneys then across the table from each other to negotiate the particulars of the upcoming act(s), and how each side will be allowed to feel about it afterward.

And they say romance is dead.

3. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Oy vey. I really don’t understand the controversy- if you read the lyrics it can easily be interpreted as the woman wants to stay but is afraid about what others will think of their presumably secret relationship.

I think we’ve all been in those situations (romantic or not) where you want to stay but have somewhere else to be, but then repeatedly submit to staying longer.

Oh well, one less annoying Christmas song on the radio. I can live with that.

4. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

At first I thought this was about someone changing the lyrics to be uh ... 'more creepy', but I'm with Goldberg. And the supplied picture in the OP is pure propaganda.

I really like the version of this song from Elf (Will Ferrell and Zooey Deschanel duet) ... and THAT was creepy due to the silly circumstances.

5. raqball macrumors 68000

Nothing liberals do or say really surprises me anymore... Screaming at the sky, needing safe spaces and wanting to carry therapy squirrels with them pretty much sealed that deal.....

Cinderella and Snow White are probably next on the chopping block - if they haven't already offended them that is....

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't think that's really true - http://sexpositiveplus.co.uk/consent-101/.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 3, 2018 ---
    Sounds like Trump on a good day.

7. raqball macrumors 68000

To someone with chronic TDS? Sure... But he is not one actually doing and needing those things.... :D

[​IMG]

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You must not follow Trump on twitter.

9. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

No need. Liberals and the MSM regurgitate everything the man says

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

11. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

...because conservatives never make frivolous complaints about stuff like the design of Starbucks' holiday cups and the "War on Christmas."

It just goes to show that you gotta pick your battles carefully. Yes one can interpret the lyrics as a bit date-rapey. Most interpret them as playfully naughty. It might come down to which artists are singing the lyrics, and how the listener imagines the characters in the song to be. Ultimately I just can't abide by censorship of music, literature, or the arts in general. Nothing wrong with voicing an opinion, but don't deny others the ability to have their own opinions and thoughts. Both Democrats and Republicans have a history of promoting censorship. Personally I've seen more conservatives pushing to censor certain books or music, but I've definitely seen Democrats do it too (looking at you Tipper Gore).

Ironically the person who complained about Baby It's Cold Outside just made it the most popular song of this holiday season. That's the way attempts at censorship usually work. Getting banned by someone somewhere can really make a book or a song take off in popularity. It can also turn the person, or organization, who pushed for the ban into a pariah. The radio station that banned the song is risking a backlash just to placate one listener who complained.

Lyrics describing bad behavior do not, by themselves, lead others to engage in bad behavior suggested by the lyrics. And in this case it's a song that is played in the background during the holidays. Hardly anyone listens to the lyrics that closely.

12. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

Getting outraged at an outrage is still 'Snowflakey' or PC. I have plenty of things to ignore, one more added to that isn't going to make a difference, that includes religious conservative minions of Mike Pence.

13. raqball macrumors 68000

Outraged? Me? Naw... I find it and liberal reactions to such things as pure entertainment and best of all, it's free!.... :D

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

A lot of liberals feel the same about trump.

15. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

And the opposite side feels the same. Keep it going, it's actually mildly amusing for the spectators who are removed from the battlefield trenches, you know the trenches that breeds biases and narrows worldview.

16. raqball macrumors 68000

Please see the TDS image in post # 8...

17. SquireSCA Suspended

SquireSCA

I would not want to be dating today... there is talk of a woman being able to revoke consent after the fact, making the man a rapist retroactively? No thanks.

18. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

watching the birth of the Dem Communist Party
    HuffPost just took an axe to Rudolph. :(

19. raqball macrumors 68000

What did Rudolph do to upset / offend the snowflakes?

20. raqball macrumors 68000

21. ThisBougieLife, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018

ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

^I remember as a kid my mom telling me she never liked that song on account of the other reindeer only changing their behavior toward Rudolph once they find a use for him. Even if his red nose turned out to be of no use to anyone, that doesn't make mocking him okay. As far as songs about magic reindeer go, it's a bit of a troubling message. :confused:

As for the reaction to "Baby, It's Cold Outside", I find it amusing that it was once conservative moral crusaders calling for songs and TV shows to be censored. As Bill Maher said, "remember when it was conservatives with the sticks up their asses?" The song is terrible, but that doesn't mean I want it pulled from the radio. #MeToo is turning into a form of mass hysteria. That's unfortunate given its original righteous aim.

22. Zenithal macrumors G3

I pride myself on not knowing a single lyrical line to any Christmas song apart from "Deck the halls with" and I can't remember the rest. Even if I did, I don't think I'd care. Furthermore, if you're the type who likes Christmas music all year long, I'll happily pay for your one way ticket to a far and very remote strip of island in the middle of nowhere.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Rudolph is bullied for being disabled. That’s the problem.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 3, 2018 ---
    Baby it’s cold outside isn’t rapey in the original context.

24. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Yeah, if you really want to see a textbook case of clinical wackadoodlism read this article "The Gay Subtext of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer". It's a pretty imaginative "subtext" on the author's part... I almost question if this article in tongue-in-cheek, but I don't think it is.
    https://www.vulture.com/2016/12/rudolph-the-red-nosed-reindeers-gay-subtext.html

I was raised Jewish so I'm not expert in Christmas movies, but I swear I've seen the first ~20min of this movie 10x but have never seen anything further. I've seen enough to known the article above is absurd and digging really hard. I can't speak with absolute certainty since I haven't seen the entire film, but this movie is absolutely terrible... the animation, the voices, the script, the characters, etc. I don't understand why its constantly on TV when you flip though the channels.

I understand your sentiment, but honestly I think it's reading way too far into things- a lot like the song issue. The story of Rudolph is for 5 year old kids and I think most kids extract the message that just because people who are are different physically doesn't mean they're not capable... to accept people's differences... something along those lines. I don't think 99% of children are going to interpret the primary message of the movie about exploitation.

Mmmm, I'm in that same boat... probably because my Jewish parents shielded me from Christmas until I was in high school haha.

Reminds me of a story I'm now reminded of. As you may know I minored in Clinical Psychology in college so I ended up taking this class about addiction and addiction treatment. As part of the class we were required to go to 2 Alcoholics Anonymous meetings a week for I believe 10 weeks of the semester (many people cheated and just wrote their papers on bogus meetings). I was told if I had to introduce myself to say my name and "just observing today" rather than "<name>, alcoholic". So the very first meeting I went to was very small- no more than 10 people. I introduced myself "<name>, just observing today>". The professor neglected to mention I should say I'm there for academic purposes. So basically the people in the meeting thought I was a new comer maybe on the fence about getting sober, rather than realizing I was a student there to learn more about AA for academic purposes.

At the end of some groups' meetings it is customary to close with The Lord's Prayer (strange considering AA is allegedly not religious... but I digress). The guy leading the meeting I guess wanted to involve me since I didn't say anything the entire meeting and therefore announced we would close the meeting by holding hands and saying The Lord's Prayer and asked if I would lead the group in the prayer. Being rasied Jewish, I never learned The Lord's Prayer and for some reason I didn't say I didn't know it. "Our father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name... .... ...?". I only knew the first line. Thankfully the group quickly picked up the rest for me.

I told this story a while back and was then quizzed to see if I ever learned it. My honest answer: "Our father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, Amen."