Amish man challenges photo ID requirement to buy firearms on religious grounds

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
https://www.rt.com/usa/319884-amish-firearm-photo-religious/
In a rare case of gun rights and religious freedom overlapping, an Amish man from Pennsylvania is challenging a federal law that requires a photo ID to buy a firearm, saying that his religious beliefs prevent him from being photographed.
Andrew Hertzler filed a suit on Friday in the US Middle District Court claiming that the photographic identification requirement violates both the Religious Freedom Restoration Act and his constitutional right to bear arms.

Hertzler tried to purchase a firearm at a Pennsylvania firearm dealer with a state-issued ID. The sale was denied because the identification card didn’t have a photograph on it, which the law requires.
might be time to turn Amish

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
so now we have religious freedom verses the second amendment.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/10/27/amish-man-sues-to-buy-firearm-without-photo-id-in-gun-rights-religious-freedom-lawsuit/

Lately, Americans have argued both about their right to bear arms andwhether the free exercise of religion allows businesses and state officials to claim exemptions from requirements that conflict with their religious beliefs. It’s not everyday, however, that the two issues, guns and religion, wind up together in a single case.

In a suit that brings together the Second Amendment and the Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA), an Amish man filed a federal lawsuit in Pennsylvania last week because he wants to buy a gun without the required photo ID — and because getting that photo ID would violate his religious beliefs.

Andrew Hertzler, according to the suit, is from Lancaster County, Pa., and is an “active and practicing” member of the community; his “parents, grandparents, and siblings are all active and practicing Amish”; and he “has a sincerely held religious belief that prevents him from knowingly and willingly having his photograph taken and stored.”

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
It's not religious freedom vs the 2nd amendment.

It's religious freedom and the 2nd amendment vs control freaks.

Reactions: jkcerda

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
I was going to side with firearms over religious freedom. A photo ID violating his religious beliefs is an absurd level to take any religion. And rules are rules. If it means so much to you to adhere to such a strict religion, then you miss out on a lot more things than just firearms. At first I thought that the Amish man made his choice: religion over all other things. And that would include firearms.

But on second thought, I've decided that the government should be able to accommodate this choice by confirming his ID with other means. Surely some smart person can figure out how to get a gun in his hands despite him lacking that photo.

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014
Since the religion of the Amish people appears to be something called Anabaptist which is a derivation of Christianity. I would challenge this guy to point out where exactly in the Bible is this reference that forbids him "from knowingly and willingly having his photograph taken and stored.”

Beware of false prophets!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
Haven't we given this bass ackwards religion enough special privileges already? Either let him buy a musket or tough ****, IMO.
It is interesting how they pick and choose what modern convenience they'll tolerate. It seems really arbitrary.

But the important thing is there's an American without a gun. So people, let's focus on our priorities.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
I'm calling BS on "his religious beliefs prevent him from being photographed." The hundreds (thousands) of photos of Amish folks on the Internet discredits that claim all ready.:confused:

One more thing, I thought the Amish were a peaceful folk to the point of pacifism. He must be one of those fake Harrison Ford Amish.:eek:
well, are those photographed "true" Amish? would a Burka satisfy the photo I.D requirements?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I can see the need to protect his religious beliefs, even if most Amish don't have a problem being photographed, but at the same time allowing people to get weapons without any proper ID runs a much higher risk than normal of having the guns end up in the hands of criminals so it risks harming other people's right to life.

Considering we have seen with Kim Davis that your religious rights can be limited when it conflicts with another law I'd say he either needs to accept that he can't have a gun or he needs to comply with the law and get a photo ID.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
I can see the need to protect his religious beliefs, even if most Amish don't have a problem being photographed, but at the same time allowing people to get weapons without any proper ID runs a much higher risk than normal of having the guns end up in the hands of criminals so it risks harming other people's right to life.

Considering we have seen with Kim Davis that your religious rights can be limited when it conflicts with another law I'd say he either needs to accept that he can't have a gun or he needs to comply with the law and get a photo ID.
will them wearing a burka work? it is a photo I.D. you simply can't tell who is under the veil

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
well, are those photographed "true" Amish? would a Burka satisfy the photo I.D requirements?
Well, PBS had a documentary about the Amish cleverly titled, The Amish. I'm 99.44% positive they had "true" Amish and not actor portrayals. Anyhow, there is overwhelming evidence that being photographed being against his "religious belief" is BS.

Think about how easy it would be to make a straw purchases if the fuzz can't track it back to you? Last thing we need is an Amish gun runner.o_O

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Well, PBS had a documentary about the Amish cleverly titled, The Amish. I'm 99.44% positive they had "true" Amish and not actor portrayals. Anyhow, there is overwhelming evidence that being photographed being against his "religious belief" is BS.

Think about how easy it would be to make a straw purchases if the fuzz can't track it back to you? Last thing we need is an Amish gun runner.o_O
question is, what makes them "true"? I am sure Christians would also like to know that bit :eek:

an Amish gun runner would be rather fitting for these fake Amish http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/amish-mafia/
:p