iPad Amzingly Terrible iPad support. They said no photo backup! as if

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nycmacrumors, Oct 9, 2013.

1. nycmacrumors macrumors newbie

Issue 4 times calling last night to backup photos and retrieve what i left on the iCloud from 11 months ago.

On each call to AppleCare, iPad support stated one can only backup the camera roll versus all photos on iPad. They said I would have to email the 2,700 photos to myself piecemeal.

Like a fool I kept calling back until I went to be and spoke into my other device "how do I backup photos on iPad" and (duh for me) --- just stick in the USB cable and iPad shows up as drive device on PC and then drag and drop the contents of the DCIM folder.

Apple did not know that?

I am sure this has happened to others over the years but what a save I received from this incompetent of tech support (as the man said today, "we are only allowed to give support like we are instructed"). They all seemed to giggle when finished giving their very bad tech. support. Almost like they want to waste your time.

The real save is that I just saved $2,300 for a MacBook Pro. What a sad toy company that Apple has become. It stinks that Apple does not allow their support teams to give exhaustive diligent 'put-the-customer-first' support. Based on my one use of the AppleCare and iCloud "services" that iI wasted money on, The AppleCare support members just spoke their allowed solution and then went blank saying "is there anything else I can help you with?" So Stepford Wife!

Del

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

That does sound lame. Im not thrilled with them either - my wife drove a good distance to get to an Apple Store and they were not very busy but still made her come back after making an appt. No walk-ins? Geesh - she would have even waited a while. They ought to make sure that walk ins for any type of help are NOT supported :(

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What I do is walk in, use the Apple Store app to make an appointment. If you don't have an iOS device, go to one of the display Macs and make an appointment from there. Last time I was able to snag a spot five minutes from when I made the "appointment." :D

It used to be that if they had an open slot, they'd accommodate walk-ins, but now that it's so easy to make appointments, not so much.

4. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

As a former Genius, you would need to understand a lot of what goes on with scheduling, appointments, limited appt times, etc. It is very different from store to store of course. But in the store I was in, it would be dead one minute but then 10 scheduled appts and 10 more walkins the next with 5 people staffed at the bar and 6 in the family room. If the walkins were taken first then the appts would be furious for planning ahead and waiting.

On the flip side, we would have loved to help the walkins immediately. But staffing is different between stores and customers issues are so unpredictable. A simple device replacement could easily become a 2 hour ordeal for many reasons.

Anyways. It has always been the Apple Store's policy to try and help everybody if possible based on staffing, scheduled appts., etc. But as is made very clear on each stores website, an appt is highly recommended.

5. nycmacrumors thread starter macrumors newbie

So solution to avoid heinous lack of basic support is to bring PC+Ipad to AppleStore?

OK
    I will call a cab. Ha ha NOT . I will sell this ipad 3 today for a couple of hundred$ to a (i was going to say lucky, but I have have to find another word) person that needs it on ebay or something.

I cannot imagine ever calling AppleCare's giggle tel. support again but thanks for sharing as a former employee that it might require iPad users to a Store location rather than expect professional support versus inane scripts from the AppleCare telephone support lameline.

Have a great day all!

6. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Thats fine - she wouldnt have minded except for the fact that they were plenty staffed and not all busy and it isnt immediately known that you do need an appt, evenm for fairly simple things. Now, we know. Not the end of the world just a tad frustrating with what fuel costs these days! ;)

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Sorry you had a bad experience with Apple customer support, but there seems to be some kind of communications breakdown going on here. If the pictures you wanted to copy are in the DCIM folder, then they are in the camera roll. If the pictures aren't in the camera roll, they won't be in the DCIM folder. So were the pictures you wanted to copy in the camera roll or not?

Or perhaps the problem is with the term "backup"? Perhaps if you had said you wanted to copy the pictures, or import them?

8. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

The issue may be in how you were phrasing the question. Because the way iTunes is set up it only reads the camera roll and photos imported via the camera kits. Anything that came to the device via syncing iTunes assumes you can sync again.

So if it sounded like you were talking about synced photos the answer given would be correct

----------

They may have seemed plenty staffed but not everyone is a technician. You might see 20 folks on the sales floor and only four have the training and the access to do support

9. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I'd take a breath and give it a day (or, two) before doing anything rash.

If you feel the same then, do as you stated without regret.

10. nycmacrumors thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you all, and Braddick:

YES...I went to sell it and indeed i did not let it go because I wanted to keep the iPad universe for now, pre-os7....for as long allows my apps to run on it.

i disappointed the buyer who wanted it as it is mint as a gift but it was online so I did not put them out as they only replied to a post.

No rashness here except for cancelling icloud.

Best to you all and thanks for coaching me a bit there; i noticed on this site how many said, speaking of regret, of missing it and due to it and the confidence in it's protective case it has become somewhat essential.

Good night and good day!

11. imlovinit macrumors 6502

imlovinit

I think googling or coming on here for help would be a good idea before calling technical support in cases like these. :)

12. Freida macrumors 65816

Really? Is your solution always all or nothing? Ok, so you had bad customer experience -> that is why you use the feedback or even complain to people that can help you or fix it for you. Giving them a chance to justify the situation. What you are doing is the same as if you work in a company and your colleague is talking badly behind your back for something you messed up (or even not and it could have been misunderstanding). Do you like that? I don't think so. I'm sure you would prefer that person to come to you and solve it between you too.
    If you came here complaining that you talked to manager or even 2 and none helped you etc then it would be different but in your case you didn't.
    Think about it, do you want to solve it or do you just want to whine?

13. emseven macrumors regular

Americans are incredibly angry post-recession.

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If there was a slot open later that day she should have been able to wait for it. I've done that, popped by just in case they had an opening and hung around until they did. My stores have never made me come back, they just let me schedule an appointment and wait for the slot. If it is later in the day I can leave and come back.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

True, although sometimes they simply don't have any slots left for the day. Happened to me once at the NYC Fifth Ave store. I've always made sure to make an appointment first since then. And since Apple released the Apple Store App, it's very simple to check for available slots. So sometimes I'll be looking to make an appointment and they will have none until the next day.

16. nycmacrumors thread starter macrumors newbie

AppleCare support requires researching your language before calling AppleCare

indeed Apple requires well thought out questions the way they need to hear it (a problem for new users of iOS and OSX like me)
    It is hard to phrase things correctly for Apple Care iPad support line. This is important research to do here at macrumors before calling iPad Apple Care as they cannot provide correct answers unless you use the right words.

I asked to backup all my photos from iPad (not a stretch). The solution was - plug in USB to PC and drag and drop DCIM folder.
    (Applecare young ones were stuck in their preposterous "you can only backup your photostream -- no other pictures from the internet or screenshots unless you email them one by one for backup!).

But I have only Dell Business Pro support, Samsung Tablet and Note support and Sony Vaio support to compare to. There are no issues with communicating with their support for a solution without having to call back. If the rep. cannot answer, another is contacted right up to senior level to resolve the issue. Apple Care reps. for iPad that day sluffed it off with no desire to get beyond their limited thinking.

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That just doesn't sound right. Pictures from the Internet and screenshots definitely go into your camera roll, and into your photo stream if you have it turned on. And you say more than one Apple Care rep told you that?

18. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

I'm not exactly sure what the point of this thread is. Are you just looking for sympathy or advice on how to better handle what ever problems you might have with your devices in the future?

19. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

No one cares. Also, who uses "as if" anymore?

20. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i'm thinking this person isn't an American based on the English.

21. nycmacrumors thread starter macrumors newbie

Night Spring. Thx for Q but it was just one of those things I'd say!

Re: Tech calls. Yes, Two in a row said that I had to email them to myself. The first call focused on my keeping a backup of what was in iCloud then deleting manually ones on the iPad. But he also did not mention the usb to pc simple solution.
    I thanked him after we were on call for ~15 minutes and when I called #2 they were just stuck on 'photo roll only'
    I cannot remember the 3rd call as I am tired, but no prob. as it was solved when like a fool i googled it after I called AppleCare (duh)
    And I kept the iPad 3 as it is uniquely mine and I would have missed it.

It was just one of those things, Night Sky.
    And iPad worked again! Thanks to searching not calling :)!

----------

My main macrumors gal Freida used "as if" and so did I and then you did ha ha

You are so bad, Andy

made me laugh

----------

Does it count that I am an NYC native born in Brooklyn? Grandparents and parents born here too. WW2 and all. How about you all? patriots?

ipad 3 thank you!

----------

Now you move on if you please, as there is nothing to see here indeed. All is well, dear Brittany. There you go.

22. nycmacrumors thread starter macrumors newbie

23. Freida macrumors 65816

joined this month and already assuming. love you too! :p

24. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Lol.

Synced photos aren't in DCIM. If you copied DCIM and then restored, you just lost a whole load of photos.

The only supported way to get synced photos off of a device is to email them. Or use some kind of sharing app (not supported). You can use a backup extractor, or something like iPhone Explorer to do it, too, however you can't expect Apple to support that. They can only support Apple apps.