an all black school? for real?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Keebler, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi folks,

I'm hoping this discussion doesn't turn to racism and if it does, I hope the moderators shut it down.

My shock, disbelief and sadness comes from the fact that Toronto council has agreed to create an all-black school. Now, I want to make it clear that I'm not racist - I don't give a crap about a person's skin colour or ethnical background..we're all people..plain and simple.

But this decision really ticks me off. Here in Canada, there is still racism, but it doesn't seem to be as strong as it is in the US, which breaks my heart. I still hate the fact that it exists here, but anyhoo...

My point is this: is this the kind of thing that Martin Luther King fought against? Didn't he want to walk hand in hand with all races? I'm not saying this is his fault, but I bet the poor guy is flipping in his grave over this idea.

Does anyone have a good reason why such a school is a good idea? I'm not against increased curriculum teaching about black history - in fact, it's probably a good idea to help stop racism.

Should we look forward to all Jewish or all Hindu schools or all Chinese or just all white schools?

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/080129/national/black_focused_school_2

Cheers,
    Keebler

2. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

Wow, this is really sad... Why do people feel the need to not like what is different?

3. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

i dont want to be racist either

but if they can have an all black school

then there should be an all white school

and an all brown school

etc

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

An all black school? That is just as racist as an all white school.

I guess it is not racism though if you are white.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

So its important that black kids know black history, but its not important for white kids to study it?

We definitely don't learn enough black history here in the UK.

The article says that the school would be open to all ethnicity's.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

This is clearly PRSI forum material. Sorry about moving your thread, but it makes a change from talking about Hillary Clinton, I guess.

7. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Did anybody discriminate these guys?

[​IMG]

Honestly! What is wrong with some people??

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

What the hell is black focused Maths anyway? Social issues shouldn't come into Maths lessons at all. God knows what they are planning.

History and music I can agree with to an extent, but putting an artificial slant on someone's education seems wrong to me anyway.

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

10. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Thats the problem this world has, if it's all White it's racist, but all Black? Not a problem.

11. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I had heard about this previously.

I'm torn between what I feel about it. From what I had heard, it isn't mandatory and it is open to all races. It is being used mostly to combat the extremely high drop-out rate amongst black teenagers in Toronto. The city thinks that if they offer a curriculum geared toward a certain race, they can keep them from dropping out. Those things make me feel like it would work, and might be a good idea. But I also think it isn't good, because I think they could have possibly done other things to keep kids interested in school.

What Montréal is talking about doing, I think would be better. They are talking about having focus-schools based on subject areas/interests, not race. Like an arts-focused high school, a language-focused high school, etc. And these kids could then choose to go to one of those schools, keeping them from dropping out because they are learning a lot about something they are interested in.

So, while I think it is good that Toronto is looking at doing something to keep kids in school, I think that they went in the wrong direction here.

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

After reading the article, I was only able to determine one thing: the subject matter is going to be more black oriented; it doesn't seem to say that any student is going to be excluded on the basis of their race.

Nonetheless, I still disagree with the board's decision. Education needs to be equal and non-black students should get some dosage of black history and art too.

The part about math really confused me though. I wasn't aware math varied by race. :confused:

13. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

The 'issue' is that quite often, if not specified otherwise it can turn out all white.

14. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Black or white, everybody's the same. Why separate people with darker skin??

15. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

There are already all-black and all-white schools all over Canada & the US, they're just not officially labeled that. It has more to do with geographical location.

-I don't know about Canada, but no one forces them to attend the school. They have a choice.
    -I don't know about Canada, but no US school is allowed to turn down enrollment of a student due to race. The only "all-black schools" I've ever heard of were in fact interracial with a majority of the student body being black.

16. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Not through discrimination though. There is nothing wrong with having an all white school if that is the way the cookie crumbles. The only problem with an all white school comes when the reason it is all white is because other ethnic groups have been discriminated against.

17. Spizzo macrumors 6502

Couldn't this be done by offering electives in different areas instead of a new school? Seems stupid to me, and like others have said, a step backward. :confused:

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

There are obviously a lot of posters on this thread who didn't read the article and only too willing to flaunt their racist attitudes, the OP included.

I don't know if this is a good solution for Toronto's 40% of black students who don't finish high school. Something tells me it's probably not. It also looks as though the school board caved in to a small group of parents.

Obviously Toronto has a problem, rather than take a knee jerk approach to the issue, maybe as another poster suggested, schools need to focus on areas of student interest. Segregation is rarely positive in the long run.

19. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

No one in this thread has expressed anything even approaching a racist attitude.

20. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Black schools? Why stop there?

What about black bathrooms, black water fountains, etc

Does this sound vaguely familiar to anyone?

---

If you want to go to a black school why not go to a city school in CT?

I think people need to accept that everyone is different and get over themselves.

21. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

An arts centric high school would have so much more to offer to an artistic child struggling in normal high school than a few extra elective choices. I see absolutely nothing wrong with offering choices to students regarding what type of education they would be interested in. As long as each school has to abide by a certain set of minimum Province requirements (a certain amount of math, a certain amount of science), certain schools would be able to provide a more in depth study of certain areas. A kid especially skilled in science or math would do much better in a school with better science and math teachers, more science and math class options, and tougher classes. In a normal school, certain classes may not be offered due to low enrollment or lack of teachers. But if all of these kids went to the same school they wouldn't run into the same problems they would at normal schools.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I am torn, I was thinking this was very silly, but if there is a problem with a specific group of people trying to tackle the problem in one place allows you to experiment without biasing towards other people in the school. And at least they are actually doing something rather than nothing.

However generally the problem isn't skin colour, but rather poverty so splitting the black kids off will a) attract the rich ones, b) leave the white kids in the poor schools in an even worse position.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

24. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Did anyone catch this? I misinterpreted the commas. :p

25. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Where would the White Jews go? Or the Chinese Hindus?

This idea isn't going to work. If the "black" classes they are learning in here, are important, then everyone should learn them. If they aren't all that important, and are being taught because the need some topics on "black" stuff...why waste school time on it?(it might still be worth learning, but not in school...for example I like to read stuff on wikipedia, cool stuff to know, but not worth spending time in school about the history of Apple or Palm)