Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
I have really cool suggestion for iTunes music store!! Maybe someone has already thought of this?

Before you ask, I have suggested this via the iTunes store suggestions link too.

My favourite feature at Amazon, and the reason I choose it above other online shops is the album recomendations based on my preferences.

My suggestion is to use peoples star ratings in iTunes to then recomend new titles. The music store can look at ratings of your music already in iTunes and then provide recomendations based on the ratings.

This save the hastle of rating all items online at a website, and most people probably rate their tunes already for use in smart playlists. Thus we all get the additional benefit if we rate our tunes.

Plus it will increase revenue at the music store by entising people to try new music inline with their taste!

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
Most radio stations have website. They should have a link to the Apple Music Store for the song they are currently playing (if available). So, if you like a song on the radio and don't know what it is called, check your radio stations website, and then click the link to the Apple Music Store.

The radio station would get a few pennies for each successful transaction.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
It almost does this, when you browse an album it says, "People who bought this album also bought..", or something to that effect. Interesting idea, even though I don't think I'll ever use the service.

dynamicd

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Chicago
The problem with that feature is that most of the music i put on my computer i like so all 1200 of my songs are rated as 4 or 5 stars.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Ah great idea! iTunes would send back the ratings on everyone's music lists? It would send back the data of the best rated pirated mp3s! Then Apple could have a 'Most Popular Pirated MP3" list.

Sacarstic but I'm hard pressed to think that at a good percentage of users have pirated mp3s (myself included). So I would not be open to letting music companies know that I have gigs of illegal music. Also, I don't feel like rating every song, it's silly to do so. If I don't like the song it's not in my library.

Now, secure info based on how many times played on music only bought from themusic store is an idea. Besides, I can tell in the 30 seconds of preview if I'm gonna like a song.

Jeffx342

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2002
North Andover
Apple Needs to advertise that the users that buy the songs are not downloading Mp3's there downloading AAC which is amazing quality. I compared my music with AAC it was a big difference

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
I think the "People who bought this album also bought..." feature will serve this purpose pretty well. Once the store has been used for a few months, the results won't be quite as random as they seem now.

tcolling

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2001
Originally posted by Kid Red
Sacarstic but I'm hard pressed to think that at a good percentage of users have pirated mp3s (myself included). So I would not be open to letting music companies know that I have gigs of illegal music.

As opposed to declaring it publicly on a popular rumors site?

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Well, they already have the "people who bought this also bought...". But I agree if they could find some non-intrusive way of gathering user ratings it would be that much better.

herr_neumann

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2003
Roseville, Ca
I think rather than an arbitrary rating it should base it on amount played. Some sort of ratio which has an amount of time (like a month/week/etc) and what percent a song monopolized your itunes.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
While the suggestions are aloat...

I would like to see some sort of bookmark feature for the store, there are a few artists/albums that I'd like to buy sometime in the future but not at the moment and I may forget to write the name down somewhere so then I have to go searching around the store for something I don't even remember the name of so I'd like a little tab or something off to the side of artists/albums that I want to be reminded of but haven't bought yet.

And I would like to see a better management for previews for us with less than ideal connection speed..

Currently I'm only able to preview one song at a time like when I go to preview another one, the cache is purged or something and I have to wait for it to buffer again if I want to hear the same preview, something where all the previews were stored and encrypted for a certain amount of days would be nice, maybe it could also have a song/size limit, otherwise the 30-sec preview function is perfect, I just wish I could access ones I've already heard quicker...

agp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
You can overcome privacy issues by having an option in iTunes to choose which ratings the music store can see.....kind of like Amazon that lets you rate any CD you own or have bought and also tell it to ignore the ratings of certain items.

Another option is that they could just base recomendations on ratings and playcounts given to your purchased music.

The point mentioned that all your music is 4 or five stars does not apply to all people. I am very open to buying new music, so I have a wide range of music...some of which I really like and some that I just like. iTunes could just let you turn off the whole recomendations system if you didn't want to use it.

The biggest issue I see is how do apple retrieve and store the data? Do they let you choose to update musicstore ratings or do they update everytime you login? Amazon is sorted since it keeps the ratings on their database.

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
I think one of the best features of amazon is the recommendations list that users can leave, they appear in the right of the screen when you search for an album, people list albums they like and write a bit about why. Also the customer reviews section has often influenced purchases off amazon.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
I love the idea of a link to the iTMS from radio websites. That would be so sweet to hear something, say "I like that", and then buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.