An Apple fan who is hugely disappointed in the "great" Apple

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SJ27CAL, Jun 28, 2010.

1. SJ27CAL macrumors newbie

I'm shocked. Story is I bought a Macbook Pro 15" i7, GPU randomly goes bad after 3 weeks of owning it. I took it in to Apple retail store on June 20, 2010. They offered me a new laptop after they saw I only owned it for 3 weeks and it clearly was a GPU failure. They promised to order the new Macbook Pro on June 21, 2010 since it was a Sunday and ordering department was closed. They promised me a turn around time of 4-6 business days. I'll keep this short, it is June 28 (6 business days later), I just called in, still NO IDEA on when it will be available. I mean, ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA as to when the Macbook will be available. Apparently I was dreaming that Apple actually cares about customer service. Seriously, this is horrible. I hope this does not happen to any of you but this is beyond belief that a company which charges a premium for their design and customer service is not living up to their expectations. :mad:

2. Bankaimadness macrumors 6502

How did you became an Apple fan in the first place?

3. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

high demand, choose another laptop, or wait it out.

4. bcomer macrumors newbie

This is nothing compared with the bad service I am getting with Dell Canada (or is that Dell India). They are completely useless and serve no purpose. Their service was much better when the call center was based in North America.

Every time we ship a job off-shore we sell a little piece of our souls.

5. SJ27CAL thread starter macrumors newbie

I used to build my own PCs and I never had any issues was them, I just wanted like the fact that Apple started to create a nice ecosystem so I wouldn't have to always buy third-party and configure it. I would rather pay a bit more and have things made for each other and have great customer support...

6. SJ27CAL thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple.com shows my laptop as configured shipping out "1-3 business days". I think the high demand died down...

7. SJ27CAL thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree. No one can argue that Apple does not charge a bit more on a spec for dollar on their products even after you factor in design. I have no problem paying for customer service but when you pay and do not receive it, its disappointing.

8. jdechko macrumors 68040

I can understand your frustration in the delay, but they are completely replacing your machine when standard procedures dictate that this should have been a repair.

If you feel that it's taking too long, then maybe you should write Steve at sjobs@apple.com. A polite, thankful (for the replacement) email might just speed things along.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Cool story bro.

If it says 1-3 days online you should got it by now.

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can multi-quote via the [​IMG] button, it turns to this ([​IMG]), if you have selected the post to quote.

Btw, melons exist with every computer line, especially if millions are produced.

11. SJ27CAL thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry if my story is coming out as a rant. I was hoping for a repair too since a new one just means I have to restore my OS X + reinstall Windows via bootcamp.

Btw, I did send Steve an e-mail, really briefly telling him the problem, quite polite actually, and just asking him to not let Apple become just like other companies. My feeling/hope is Steve would be mad that customers are complaining and he would tighten things up.

12. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I've had constant repairs for 6 months, and it's still not fixed. You can wait =]

13. SJ27CAL thread starter macrumors newbie

Your right. I absolutely agree. And I know Apple doesn't personally assemble them plus they source parts from Intel and other vendors so I am not mad at the fact that it broke down, just at the fact that after 6 business days they still have no idea when I'll be getting my laptop. Maybe I'm just suffering from a lack of my MacBook:apple:.

Btw, thanks for the tip on replying. :D

14. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

i think you mean lemon, not melon... spelled with the same letters, but taste completely different... :)

15. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

Seriously, it's only a week later, and you're writing new threads making blanket accusations on the most well-read Mac board around? Perhaps you should try a few other major manufacturers and see how you like their customer service. I've been trying for 7 months (yes, 7 MONTHS) to get a single reply from Acer for a desktop that won't start. Period. Doesn't work at all, won't turn on, and I can't get even the first reply from them.

Give it a few days. Save your ammunition for when you really need it.

16. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

Read the thread "BRO"

17. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Try calling Apple at the 1-800-275-2273 (U.S.) and asking for Customer Relations, tell them your tale and see if they can give you a better answer, or maybe do something to make it right.

18. HBOC macrumors 68020

My 1 month old MBP needed a new LB and the turnaround was AMAZING..3 days, and they even shipped it to my parents, where I was going to be spending Christmas break.

19. cryer macrumors regular

This is nowhere near as bad as my situation with the iMac.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=946446&highlight=

I'm still waiting to get a proper and just response to the experience I had to deal with.

Sorry to hijack but any tips on what i can do? Already talking with a second rep but he just tells me the first one is handling my case. And he's the one I'm having a problem with. So what to do?

20. hipvamore macrumors regular

dude you should be happy their giving you a brand new couple thousand dollar machine. patience is a virtue

21. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Try my advice in the my last message above ^ if you're not in the U.S. here's a list of phone numbers for AppleCare, although I suspect you already have this number.

22. SJ27CAL thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry, not trying to be rude, but why would I want a new laptop when mine was only 3 weeks old and nothing wrong, for all I care, they could have replaced the GPU but I'm pretty sure its easier to just grab a new one instead of investing so many labor hours into replacing the GPU.

23. cryer macrumors regular

I've pretty much been in contact with customer relations through these numbers:

512-674-2000
    1-800-767-2775

Is your number different?

24. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Could be, might not be. I don't know.
    But thanks for the head ups. It was late anyway. :eek:

25. woosah macrumors regular

woosah

Most consumers, including myself, would feel differently than you regarding a replacement. I would much rather have a new replacement than a three week old MBP sporting repair parts. I think Apple is doing you a favor.