An ARM based MacBook Air by the end of the year?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iPhoney:), Mar 10, 2011.

1. iPhoney:) macrumors member

Do you think the use of a dual A5 chip in the new iPad is setting the stage for the introduction of an arm based MacBook air by the end of the year?

2. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

No, but I'd sure like to see a dual boot option

3. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I'm not sure why apple or why customers would want that?! It would make the air incredibly underpowered for what it is, and apple would have to write extra code into OSX to make it work. Unless I am missing something I see no advantages.

4. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

ARM is apples choice of processor for mobile devices. Not for notebooks/desktops.

5. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

No

6. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Nope, clearly with the way Apple is going with OS X, there is no need for them to do this. The processors keep getting faster and Apple keeps finding ways to make things thinner and lighter. With Lion the OS basically makes it so there is no need for iOS to run on it. Mac App Store, Fullscreen apps, LaunchPad, they have clearly made it more friendly to people who are used to iOS, and at the same time made it work better on devices with smaller screens.

A lot of people worry about Apple getting rid of OS X and going iOS exclusive, but the reality is it is more likely (though still not very likely) that OS X will replace iOS.