An example of how the MSM is bad for our nation.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BoneDaddy, Nov 27, 2016.

1. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

This, among other videos like it, is proof to me that the mainstream media is probably one of the top three problems, if not the first, that is dividing out nation.

I used to hate this guy. Now I have a bit of respect for him. It's like an actor; People fall in love with, or hate a character on screen, and when they meet them in person, their opinion changes. That's an extreme example, as one should know that actors are different from their characters on screen, but people don't generally know that about the MSM. People don't know that these people are "news actors". They get hire to go on tv for a network with an agenda, and are paid to represent them in actions and words.

Our nation was doing a lot better before the MSM started indoctrinating us with garbage. Like CNN showed a video of some lady saying "we don't want violence here", but in a personal and extended video, she goes on to say "take that violence to the suburbs", and continues to say they need what they have in the inner city but the suburbs should be destroyed.

I've seen ALL networks twist crap like this so I'm not here just to bash CNN, BUT I will say that I've seen it on liberal news more than Fox, or local networks. With the wikileaks emails, we now know that this is the case. Lies, to destabilize relations, so the "victims" can fall into the pockets of the ones who wish to achieve their agenda, on both sides. In reality, we all have a lot more in common and agree on most of our issues. When we don't agree, it'n not as passionately as it may seem on the internet or media.

Watch this whole video, please. Especially if you wish to comment. Don't comment with some divisive nonsense when you didn't even watch the video that may contradict what you said. Some of us will have different points of views, but not that far off and there are obvious things that could not be addressed in this video, such as getting to root causes of some of the things that were brought up. The point is, a civil conversation happened between an info wars guy, and a mainstream media guy, which seems to be on both sides of the extreme. Well, they met in the middle, with mutual respect and agreed on most counts.

Van Jones will go back to his chair and be that guy that the right hates, and Carl will go back to his. Without the MSM these guys were likable, honest, and damn near a TEAM. I hate the media and I think it's going to continue to ruin the relations in our nation as long as people take it for gospel, and as long as the MS is the MS. Hopefully with modern tech and drive, we better balance it out with private journalists who remain unbiased and honest.

THIS VIDEO GIVES ME HOPE.

2. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Meanwhile our President Elect is tweeting using sh** like infowars as a source.

So, it ain't just the MSM that is bad for our nation.

3. BoneDaddy thread starter Suspended

BoneDaddy

AND...?

That's beside the point. You can go on about that all you want. This is a thread about how much the MSM divides us and how awesome it was to see a real discussion, in person, between two sides.

We can't have a discussion when our replies are like children.

"Hey child, why did you eat that candy before dinner?"

"WELL THESE CHILDREN ARE EATING CANDY TOO."

I'm assuming we're all adults here...

4. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

A few thoughts.

First, "Mainstream Media" (BTW, a sure sign of slight illiteracy is the idea that MSM makes sense as an acronym when mainstream is one word) is an idea that increasingly signals nothing but the apparent obsessions of its user.

Is the mainstream media cable news? Well, that's interesting considering that by and large, the evening news shows at NBC, ABC, and CBS still continue to crush the ratings of cable news. While Fox News likes to make a big show of its ratings, note that is always ensconced in the subsection of cable news. Essentially, Fox News is the fastest snail.

On Nov. 22, Fox News' highest ratings included 3.049 million people. That's big numbers compared to CNN, MSNBC, and HLN, but pales in comparison to the 7.258 million people who watched CBS or the 9.047 million that watched NBC's nightly news programs.

Now, we could accept that cable news is part of the mainstream media, but that subset only includes television news and has little to say about newspapers, magazines, and online news sites that increasingly fuel the news business.

As for coverage, the "talking head" style of news is relatively cheap and easy and works very well on the 24-hour news networks that need desperately to fill time without going through the expense of sending out reporters.

CNN still sends out teams and CNN International still compliments the network's international coverage. And, CNN funds programs like Anthony Bourdain's "Parts Unknown," Morgan Spurlock's "Inside Man," and W. Kamau Bell's United Shades of America" which try to cover culture and society using documentary-style coverage.

Unfortunately, CNN saw that Fox News was making hand over fist having talking heads battle it out with each other and has abandoned much of its original reporting for studio work. MSNBC decided to become Fox News for the left and HLN decided to become each's increasingly vapid cousin.

And, here's the thing, for everyone that complains about the "Mainstream Media" there's someone watching these shows or clumsy clicking on chum boxes on their favorite bong-water site. And, real reporting dies on the vine.

You want good news. Buy it.

The problem isn't "indoctrination." The problem is the American audience keeps buying McDonalds cheeseburgers while wondering why all cheeseburgers taste like crap. Meanwhile, the diner around the corner that used to make $5 burgers with hand-ground angus made fresh on a well-loved griddle is about to close.

Stop telling me that cheeseburgers don't taste good any more. They still taste great, but you're buying crap.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Are you new here?

6. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Lol. You must be new here.

There is no topic you can post - none - that can't and won't be immediately derailed by a Liberal Trump post - no matter how remote and irrelevant and non-constructive.

And here's the cool part - if you revive a Liberal anti-Trump pre-election thread, it'll disappear.

Poof...

But Trump-ing a thread - as yours was in Post No. 2 - is a-o-k.

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

So, is "Trump-ing a thread," the new Godwin?

Interesting idea.

As for the second thing, it's possible the mods are chucking bumped posts. It's also possible that no one replies and the thread falls below the first page again. Or, it might be a bug.

You should check with the mods if you've got a specific issue.

8. BoneDaddy thread starter Suspended

BoneDaddy

Haha, if just under a year is new, yes. Trust me though, I can already see the incapability to discuss, and stay on topic. Hell, I don't mind someone calling me an idiot if I've displayed idiocy, but if someone else does the same thing, safe spaces start opening their doors.

I just want people to watch the video. I doubt nine out of ten will get half way through, and seven out of ten will spend more time commenting, than they did watching the video. For those who do, fantastic.

I predict the veering off will be extreme too ;)

9. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Fair enough.

But sincere question - where'd the "it's ok to shame Clinton voters" thread go? The one that reasonably - arguably 'properly' - parodied the "it's ok to shame Trump voters" go? Admittedly I'm looking on my phone and I don't have the best search skills. Not sarcasm. But best I can tell it vanished.

Probably user error, I admit.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

It's not besides the point at all. You have the leader of this country tweeting out InfoWars as a credible news source. How is that not relevant.

11. BoneDaddy thread starter Suspended

BoneDaddy

The hypocrisy on this forum is already obvious. I can tell where it leans. I got a day suspension for "calling names" to someone, but I've seen so much "name calling" toward the "other side". "Bigot, idiot, disgusting, racist"... All of that, and I DON'T MIND IT, but you invade the other side's safe space with a little "name calling", and here come mommy and daddy...

12. samcraig macrumors P6

The irony.

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Hey, it's cool that the guys from InfoWars got Van Jones to talk to them for 30 minutes. But, what's the real story here? Van Jones thinks that Trump's a race baiter, not a racist. These guys disagree.

Great. What did we learn? Two or three (four?) guys have opinions. Maybe even opinions that they could agree or disagree over.

But, this is just surface journalism. Cheaply made, opinion-led without relevant facts or reporting to back it up. I just don't care that InfoWars bought three guys a video camera and they managed to find Van Jones.

I care about real reporting.

14. BoneDaddy thread starter Suspended

BoneDaddy

Because the thread is about how the media is dividing us, not about how someone wishes to use which media.

That's like asking, "was the war in Iraq a mistake", and someone responding, "Well a US soldier murdered an innocent man".

OK, AND? The soldier should and will be tried, but that's beside the point. But I know, I know... all of the off topic nonsense shouldn't be "invalidated". Everyone's "feelings" SHOULD BE tended to... Pshhh

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Complaining about the refs is always a sure sign of a winning argument.

One thing that people often get confused about is the difference between attacking a public person like Trump or Obama and attacking a forum member. Don't do the latter.

16. BoneDaddy thread starter Suspended

BoneDaddy

The real story is that these two men, who are both on far sides of the isle, can come off script and have a spontaneous and civil conversation, where they actually agree on most of what is said.

I HAD TO EXPLAIN THAT?!!! Hahaha DAMN, the hysteria is deep here.

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It appears to be gone. Not sure why. Ask the mods directly.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

If you truly care about the issue, you wouldn't dismiss the fact that those in power have influence over the value some media avenues over others. That's relevant.

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Aisle?

Keep in mind that you're just talking about two guys using a metaphor fixed to Congress. People do this all the time. It's not news.

I'm not sure you know what that word means.

20. BoneDaddy thread starter Suspended

BoneDaddy

Your reading comprehension, as well as your anxiety to hurry up and type something for the soul purpose to disagree with someone, challenges the seriousness of those posts.

OBVIOUSLY I was talking about how people insult EACH OTHER on here, not Trump... Perhaps you were intentionally blind to that fact, just to argue, without actually having a good argument.

Also, Republicans running every branch of gov, is THEE sure side of a winning argument. Did I hurt your feelings?

21. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The media doesn't divide us. People divide themselves into their ideological camps and increasingly succor themselves with media outlets that play to their preconceived notions while preferring talking heads over densely reported investigations.

Cable news has played to that ideological divide—because there's gold in them hills!—and you've taken the bait, preferring ideological arguments over fact-based news gathering.

And, the fact that U.S. soldiers and mercenaries murdered Iraqis during the Iraq War should certainly be included in a discussion about the Iraq War. If you can't answer the question "Was the war in Iraq a mistake" without accounting for Iraqi casualties and their causes, you're not really trying to answer the question seriously.

22. BoneDaddy thread starter Suspended

BoneDaddy

I do, and the "cause I said so" crap doesn't make that not so.

But what IS funny, is how Obama was the first one to use other sources in ways he wished. Nobody complained, or at least YOU didn't. See? Anyone can play the, "well he did it first" game.

But I'm not gonna climb into that rabbit hole with someone who will constantly deflect.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 27, 2016 ---
    Hahaha, WOW. Alright, smart guy... Whatever you say.

23. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

I appreciate your searching and confirming. Glad I didn't lose my mind.

As for asking the mods, no thanks. It's their forum, and their rules.

Not mine.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

Deflection is really not my thing. And how on earth would you know if I complained or not about Obama? Since I never posted either way and wasn't active on PRSI back then, your assertion is completely without merit.

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I type quickly.

I was pointing a common confusion. You're not using specific examples so there's no way to judge whether the mods are being unfair. If you have a real issue, take it up with the mods; I'm not one.

Look, I'm sure that the phrase "did I hurt your feelings" seems like a winning salvo to you, but simply put, it's weak sauce.

As for Republican's recent electoral wins, that hardly proves them right, smart, or good. But, it means they've gotten good at winning elections. But, this doesn't mean they're right.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 27, 2016 ---
    Well, sometimes the mods can explain why they did something. Or, they might learn that there's a problem with the site. Dunno'.