An Example Why Guns in Schools Might Not Be A Good Idea

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Mar 14, 2018.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Isn't it quite sad that you need to argue "why guns aren't a good idea in classrooms"? The fact that it's even something anybody would want, is just... Mindboggling

3. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

The irony is in the title: Gun Trained.... Clearly not. So much wrong with this teacher and his/her behavior. The issue isn't a gun in the classroom, it's with who ever cleared that person to handle a firearm period let alone in a classroom. So many screw ups on their part that it's not funny.

Exactly why the teacher was displaying the weapon at all was not entirely clear. Police said he was “providing instruction related to public safety.” The father told KSBW that the teacher was preparing to use the gun to show how to disarm someone.

Short list of F-ups

• Poor Muzzle Control. Know where to point a weapon when holding it
    • Clearly Trigger Control. Finger off trigger at all times unless neutralizing a threat or cleared to fire at range
    • Loaded gun let alone a real gun being used to show anything is dumb
    the list could go on and on.....and these are basic 101 things.

4. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

it's absolutely an issue of a gun being in a classroom. Not exclusively... but yes - having a gun in a classroom can lead to an increase in gun-related accidents or worse. It's simple math.

5. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

simple math would be to lock down the schools too but how's that worked thus far?
    simple math would be to just make sure the basics of any 101 entry level course are completed and second nature to anyone handling a firearm. I've handled firearms for over 30 years and never once had an accidental discharge. seems to me the dept. that certified him needs a thorough audit of their training program.

6. chabig macrumors 603

I could propose a list of shootings as examples of why “gun-free” zones might not be a good idea.

7. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Agreed. None of that negates what I said though. If teachers have guns in their classrooms, there is a higher risk for accidents or worse.

8. Herdfan macrumors 6502

So true. If they were such a good idea, we would use them at other government buildings such as courthouses and police stations.

That beings said, I am not convinced that arming teachers is a good idea. But I do think that having armed guards at schools is not a bad idea either. Plenty of former/retired officers and military that could fit the bill. But not teachers.

9. chabig macrumors 603

I’m not either. But I despise the idea that politicians tend to ram down our throats many overarching laws based on emotions. Let’s gather data before we make decisions. If a few states want to try something, let them. Let’s Let some teachers have weapons and find out what happens. We armed pilots after 9/11 without harmful side effects. Armed guards is a good idea, but hugely expensive. Evaluating other options is a good idea.

10. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

alas though, the most obvious option is the one that's off the table

11. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

As a disgruntled teacher said, we are already overworked and underpaid, now they want us to take on law enforcement duties too? I agree, these kind of proposals are another attempt to avoid paying more taxes, the Republican Holy Grail of squeezing blood out of a turnip.

12. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

This might be a god time to remind Republicans that even an armed and trained officer refused to engage the shooter in the Parkland shooting. Yet they expect teachers to be able to handle it.

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Is anyone advocating FORCING teachers to take this up? Or are those in favor of it simply giving those teachers who feel comfortable doing it an option to do so?

Personally I'm not a fan, I'd rather the local PD put an armed officer at every school and then lock the school down like Ft. Knox with metal detectors. I can't get into either of my kids schools without going through the main entrance which is locked and video recorded. They won't unlock the door before I state which kid is mine and what his student number is or what his birthday is and the reason for coming in.

14. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

They did have an armed officer and it did zero good. One crazy thought, don't let known mentally disturbed kids have free access to assault weapons.

15. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Might also be a good time to remind democrats who want to ban everything but a musket that school officials, local PD, the FBI, and a trained officer who refused to engage the shooter did nothing to protect the community. There was more than enough proof this kid was nuts and he should have had those weapons removed, keep that in mind when they spout off about how unreasonable law abiding gun owners are when they're told they don't need guns to protect themselves or their families.

16. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

We just want reasonable control over how assault weapons are regulated, which is currently barely at all. But feel free to keep telling us how we want to "ban everything" instead because that false statement only really works in hard right circles anymore.

17. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

He is/was a reserve cop..

In the end he shot the roof and some shrapnel hit a kid in the neck. The story about this I read implied that he is now a former teacher and former reserve cop.

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

19. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

You have added some great insights in the past about gun control. However it's hard to take posts like this seriously when it begins with Hyperbole.

20. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

See the link above.

I don't believe democrats at all when they try to put the varnish on their gun control position. Not from the party who claimed "You can keep your doctor and your plan if you like it", and who employed the man who crafted the bill on the premise that "the American voter is stupid, that's why we can do these sorts of things". Pretty sure in one "assualt weapons ban" bill recently there were deer hunting guns on the list. Don't worry though, I don't believe some things Republicans say, like they actually want to do anything that might be an "undue burden" to Bubba who wants exercise his 2nd amendment right.

21. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I’ve used the musket analogy to make a point about when the 2A was written to indicate that it’s overdo for an update. Back in the 60s, gun violence was on the rise in urban areas. Laws were passed to counter, and the conservative pushback is such that some of us went off the deep end, bowing before the golden pistol as the solution to all of society’s problems... which it is not. Stable societies are not characterized by putting a gun in every citizen’s hand.

22. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

You aren't the only one I hear make that argument and I'm not only talking about what I hear on this forum.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well said. I believe that gun-control advocates will try and regulate guns out of existence rather than try and do bans and repeal the 2nd Amendment.

Things like: mental health screening, background checks on ammo purchases, insurance requirements, guns can't be stored at home, etc.

24. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Many of us (teachers) are former military. At my current school, it's easier to name the teachers who are not prior service than those who are. And none of us want to carry guns in this building.

25. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I don't believe that to be true. Democrats wants to ban assault weapons and are aggressively met with "define and assault weapon?", "you just want to ban all guns!", "Liberals want to take away your freedom!" when nothing could be further from the truth, even on this forum.

The reality is a reasonable conversation can't be had when met with this type of hostility and hyperbole. The bottom line is kids are regularly getting killed with this style of weapon and democrats want to address this style of weapon. We don't want to "take all your guns" and you may post an article to find some outliers but by and large, that is completely false. For the record, not that it should matter, but I also own a gun and have no unrealistic fear that it will be taken away.