An extremely awesome iPhone mod in the works..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nickspohn, Dec 11, 2008.

1. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Okay, I got the idea a couple days ago. And instead of waiting for Apple to do something like this, I might as well take matters into my hands.

I'm going to swap out my iPhone back, and convert it into a carbon fiber back. It's going to be extremely difficult, but the look would be simply amazing. If it's a success, I might just start doing this as a service.

For those who are not familiar, this is carbon fiber and what it looks like. It's extremely thin, and extremely durable. Plus, it's nice and clean...

And it comes in many different colors / patterns so it's unique.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Thus the reason you were asking around about how to buy multiple phones without having to pay for the contracts. ;)

Apple had a decent idea. I'm not big on CF, or the look rather, but hey, many seem to be. If CF doesn't interfere with the wifi/phone signal then that's great. I'd hope there'd be some option to not have to buy a CF phone in the future.

Beat Apple to it and I'd think you would have a good little business on your hands until Apple gets their hands on you that is. ;)

Honestly though, if you can pull it off and buy the phones then I think people would buy ... and they'd pay more on eBay.

3. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

All true. And nah, this will have no issues with cell service, GPS, WiFi, etc. I'm just worried about the sim card slot.

Rest should be pretty moderate.

And if it does take off, I'd do the same as colorware. Or could just sell the backs to people. Gotta see how it turns out at first. I want to somehow get the Apple logo to still be seen too.

4. fishmoose macrumors 68000

That carboon MacBook/pro looks really nice, I want one of
    thoose!

5. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Good luck with your carbon fibre. It shouldn't be too tough to lay, whether you're doing a full replacement back or case, or you're doing a carbon overlay. Don't be a hero, wear gloves and mask.

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Do you have the means to actually do this? And what would the process be like? :) I'm curious

7. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

The carbon fibre macbook pictured above is wrapped with a vinyl overlay. Technique is outlined here and here; the applique is commonly available at automotive retail parts stores like Pep Boys and Napa.

Working with real carbon fibre is similar to working with fibreglass. You make a negative mold for your component really nice and smooth. Lay in release agent and a layer of clear resin and let that dry, that makes your top finish nice. Lay in layers of weave and resin until you're happy with it, remember to roll it and keep it straight so it looks good. Be sure no bubbles are in the resin. Ugly CF is fine for stuff you don't see, but not this. Having a vacuum chamber helps greatly, especially for small components. And ideally it should be baked, but it can air dry if you want.

8. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

The frame of my bicycle is made from carbon fiber. I'd love an iPhone to match!

Please continue to update this thread if you really do go through with this project and begin offering it to the masses.

9. efice32 macrumors 6502

that carbon fiber (well...sticker) macbook is badass

10. Indy21 macrumors 6502

Hey that was MY idea, I'm suing!

LoL, j/k, best of luck! Hey if it works out and you start making them by the millions with apple, break me off a lil sum sum. :D

11. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Carbon fibre I think, is as strong as steel, for about a fifth of the weight. That process is sure to cost an arm and a leg.

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Looks nice.

Me like it! :D

13. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

You'll have a tough sell IMHO. People prob won't want to void their warranty, meaning you won't get a large market of the 3G'ers until middle of next year.

For most of us, we've already settled on a case or skin or whatever. How many people who use naked iPhones will want a carbon fiber back?

You might want to consider offering a carbon fiber case - you'd get more sales that way - people could switch to it from their current case, and it would not void the warranty.

Just a couple of thoughts. Good luck and hope it works out!

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i have had first hand experience with carbon fiber messing with radio signals

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Good luck and keep us posted on the progress/results.

16. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Mm, hmm....and what about that pesky void the warranty problem?

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You really think that people who are doing hardware/case mods to their phone/console/computer are really worried about the warranty?

18. Indy21 macrumors 6502

Tell us more please. :)

19. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I don't see Apple ever doing this anytime soon, maybe new colors, but not carbon fiber.... good luck, all the same to you

20. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

Carbon Fibre isn't really that expensive to buy sheets of. Carbon fibre products are expensive because of the labor needed to make them. If he is going to make the backs, there is definitely money to be made.

21. kenkamm macrumors regular

Real carbon fiber is partially conductive. It will degrade your RF performance. I know this first hand because I work in the radar defense industry and have run into these kinds of problems. For something like this, you're better off using a faux overlay, which would be

1) Cheaper
    2) Wouldn't void any warranties
    3) Wouldn't risk damage to the phone trying to take it apart

And, you don't really care about the lighter weight the carbon might provide. The plastic back on the phone isn't one of the heavier components. Taking 50% of the weight out of that isn't going to get you anywhere significant.

Regards
    Ken

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

its not really that cheap

you then have to get the right resins and such which arent that cheap either

well last year i was working on a rc airplane and we had the fuselage made of carbon fiber. we wrapped the antenna around it and needless to say the controller couldnt communicate with it and the plane crashed. apparently its a well known phenom that cf casts a shadow for signals. wished we had that little tidbit of info beforehand lol as we had to rebuild the entire 13ft wing and our compettion was a week later. was an uber long week for out team needless to say

agreed

23. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Well it would just be a different back. I think i might just use the overlay method. The sheets aren't that expensive either, and there isn't much needed for the iPhone backing, it is just the time involved.

I'm trying to figure out how the Apple logo can still be seen.

Edit: I might just have to do the wrapping instead of making the whole thing carbon fiber. I don't think this would void the warranty. It would be possible to still have the Apple logo showing on the wrapping, but if I were to make my own iPhone back, I couldn't use Apple's own logo probably, as I'd probably get hit with a copy right infringement.

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

its going to be every messy until you get a good process down. have you laid up cf before?

id try some practice on as many sample items you can, be it aluminum locks, or plastic containers, etc

25. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Oh i know it's going to be messy. I planned on practicing it to. I might also buy either a broken iPhone or just the iPhone back on eBay. (They are hard to find unless they are used and dinged)

I'm having people that do this and sell carbon fiber wrapped products for cars help me get going. Doing the ringer switch, camera hole and everything else should be fairly easy as it will cut.