an eye for an eye

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by NewGenAdam, Dec 22, 2009.

1. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8425820.stm

Two men are sentenced to life in jail and to have their ears and noses cut off after they cut the ears and nose off a woman.

This is consistent with the Islamic teaching of 'an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth' which is also in the part of
    the Bible Christians choose to ignore.

I've never quite got the whole thing where you can support BOTH sides of any argument with the Bible. often New Testament versus Old. ehh

---Update---
    In the spirit of the season I suggest Christians and Muslims unite in their shared love of Jesus
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2009/dec/23/religion-islam
    (précis: a Muslim proclaims ' "we believe in Jesus" ')
    everyone else, enjoy the traditions and rituals which make Christmas for you. Hope it's merry!

2. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

What they did was horrible, but it is dispicable that the goverment is torturing these criminals. No one should be subject such treatment, no matter what they did.

You cannot support both sides of the eye for an eye argument using the bible unless you ignore major parts of it. The new testament clarifies exactly how we should treat others even if they are deserving of punishment.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is exactly why religion and politics don't mix. Disgusting savages. :mad:

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Nice segway from radical islamists to bible ignoring christians. Brilliant actually.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Although this sounds appalling, I can't really see how its worse than the death penalty.

Additionally from the article:

So the chances are this will be squashed on appeal.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

And they say religion is a positive, stabilizing influence on society :rolleyes:

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Two wrongs do not make a right.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

True.

9. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree. The death penalty is worse, and I think it's an inhumane atrocity that countries which claim to be civilized still kill their citizens.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You really think death is worse than being kept alive in a prison after your ears and nose have been cut off? I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that there is no pain after death and the agony of being alive is gone. Otherwise why are there so many who agree to blow themselves up for whatever cause. Because it doesn't hurt to die in a flash of light! Death is a release, homeslice. :)

11. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

I think you undervalue life.
    We all get an eternity of oblivion; shouldn't we make the most of however much time we can get alive?

12. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I don't know enough about Islam to comment on its specific justice proscriptions, but the notion of retributive justice is not exclusive to religion.

By limiting the punishment to that equal to the crime and performance to by the neutral party that is society, it was one of the underpinnings to moving away from the vigilante justice that helped civilization rise from savagery.

13. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Well you have to expect the haters to show some intelligence on occasion.

14. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

The article references a Pakistani court's decision; your beef (complaint) is with them...

True...

Why are you injecting the Bible into this issue? BBC article you cited explains Pakistani Court decision and Islamic law... no mention of Christianity.

Again... your beef (complaint) is with Islamic law not the Bible.

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Not at all, life is beautiful. But having some semblance of a fulfilling life is one thing, but living the rest of your life in prison --mutilated-- is another.

16. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

let me illustrate then connection. This part of Islamic law comes from the bible as much as the Quran. Both Christianity and Islam have the passage 'an eye for an eye' in their main texts, as well as much of the old testament. The difference with christianity, well the clue is in the name: Christ, and the new testament.

The bible is already injected.

I'm just commenting that Christianity is strange in that much of its main text contradicts today's common preaching. The cutting off of ears and noses is an example of how parts of the bible may be practically interpreted.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Now if we could just get you to do the same. :rolleyes:

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Sorry that's not the only difference
    I feel you posted this to do nothing more than rile up Christians. It would also help if you understood the Bible or knew what you were talking about. The "eye for eye" is Old Testament. Christianity is about the New Testament where this isn't the teachings

Your story deals with Islamic law. Why you feel the need to extrapolate that to "attack" Christians is nothing more than trying to pick a fight

Why not talk about Islam.....as that's what the story is about

Until then, try and research first before posting

19. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Your fight is with Islam and law practiced by Pakistan Court...the connection you're attempting to make is invalid; see dukebound85's post repeated below whose sentiments I second...

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

FIFY, not all countries who practice Islamic law follow these barbaric parts.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

When a court actually cites the Bible and hands down this sentence, then you will have a valid comparison. Until then, I think dukebound85 was dead on in his analysis of why you threw in Christianity.

22. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Funny how Christian homophobes always cite the Old Testament as source when they claim being gay is wrong... :rolleyes:

23. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Are you suggesting people only cite the bible when it supports their opinion?
    :p

24. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

No, people can always cite the Bible;
    they just cite the bit which supports their opinion.

It's never hard to find a bit which doesn't support their opinion though.

25. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm talking about Christianity because what the Islamic state's proposing seems TOTALLY unChristian but yet the fundamental "an eye for an eye" idea is common to both Islam and Christianity. Even if you assume there to be no greater textual similarities (read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_narratives_and_the_Qur'an), you'll find "an eye for an eye" appearing several times in the Old Testament (Leviticus 24:19–21, Exodus 21:22–25, and Deuteronomy 19:21).

Anyway, forgetting the Islamic aspect:
    What interests me far more is that the Christian religious text the Bible, as a whole, is inconsistent with itself.
    Or perhaps it's not