an eye for an eye

NewGenAdam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8425820.stm

Two men are sentenced to life in jail and to have their ears and noses cut off after they cut the ears and nose off a woman.

This is consistent with the Islamic teaching of 'an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth' which is also in the part of
the Bible Christians choose to ignore.

I've never quite got the whole thing where you can support BOTH sides of any argument with the Bible. often New Testament versus Old. ehh

---Update---
In the spirit of the season I suggest Christians and Muslims unite in their shared love of Jesus
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2009/dec/23/religion-islam
(précis: a Muslim proclaims ' "we believe in Jesus" ')
everyone else, enjoy the traditions and rituals which make Christmas for you. Hope it's merry!

imac/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007

Two men are sentenced to life in jail and to have their ears and noses cut off after they cut the ears and nose off a woman.

This is consistent with the Islamic teaching of 'an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth' which is also in the part of

I've never quite got the whole thing where you can support BOTH sides of any argument with the Bible. often New Testament versus Old. ehh
What they did was horrible, but it is dispicable that the goverment is torturing these criminals. No one should be subject such treatment, no matter what they did.

You cannot support both sides of the eye for an eye argument using the bible unless you ignore major parts of it. The new testament clarifies exactly how we should treat others even if they are deserving of punishment.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool

Nice segway from radical islamists to bible ignoring christians. Brilliant actually.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Although this sounds appalling, I can't really see how its worse than the death penalty.

Additionally from the article:

Sentence was passed on Monday under a rarely invoked Islamic law dating from the 1980s. In the past similar sentences have been revoked on appeal.
Islamic laws were introduced in Pakistan during the military regime of General Ziaul Haq in the 1980s.
The BBC's M Ilyas Khan in Islamabad says punishments prescribed under the laws have rarely been awarded, and never carried out.
So the chances are this will be squashed on appeal.

NewGenAdam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Although this sounds appalling, I can't really see how its worse than the death penalty.
I agree. The death penalty is worse, and I think it's an inhumane atrocity that countries which claim to be civilized still kill their citizens.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
You really think death is worse than being kept alive in a prison after your ears and nose have been cut off? I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that there is no pain after death and the agony of being alive is gone. Otherwise why are there so many who agree to blow themselves up for whatever cause. Because it doesn't hurt to die in a flash of light! Death is a release, homeslice. :)

NewGenAdam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
You really think death is worse than being kept alive in a prison after your ears and nose have been cut off? I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that there is no pain after death and the agony of being alive is gone. Otherwise why are there so many who agree to blow themselves up for whatever cause. Because it doesn't hurt to die in a flash of light! Death is a release, homeslice. :)
I think you undervalue life.
We all get an eternity of oblivion; shouldn't we make the most of however much time we can get alive?

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
This is exactly why religion and politics don't mix. Disgusting savages. :mad:
I don't know enough about Islam to comment on its specific justice proscriptions, but the notion of retributive justice is not exclusive to religion.

By limiting the punishment to that equal to the crime and performance to by the neutral party that is society, it was one of the underpinnings to moving away from the vigilante justice that helped civilization rise from savagery.

IntheNet

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009

The article references a Pakistani court's decision; your beef (complaint) is with them...

This is consistent with the Islamic teaching of 'an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth'
True...

...which is also in the part of
Why are you injecting the Bible into this issue? BBC article you cited explains Pakistani Court decision and Islamic law... no mention of Christianity.

..I've never quite got the whole thing where you can support BOTH sides of any argument with the Bible. often New Testament versus Old. ehh
Again... your beef (complaint) is with Islamic law not the Bible.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
I think you undervalue life.
We all get an eternity of oblivion; shouldn't we make the most of however much time we can get alive?
Not at all, life is beautiful. But having some semblance of a fulfilling life is one thing, but living the rest of your life in prison --mutilated-- is another.

NewGenAdam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Why are you injecting the Bible into this issue? BBC article you cited explains Pakistani Court decision and Islamic law... no mention of Christianity.

Again... your beef (complaint) is with Islamic law not the Bible.
let me illustrate then connection. This part of Islamic law comes from the bible as much as the Quran. Both Christianity and Islam have the passage 'an eye for an eye' in their main texts, as well as much of the old testament. The difference with christianity, well the clue is in the name: Christ, and the new testament.

The bible is already injected.

I'm just commenting that Christianity is strange in that much of its main text contradicts today's common preaching. The cutting off of ears and noses is an example of how parts of the bible may be practically interpreted.

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
let me illustrate then connection. This part of Islamic law comes from the bible as much as the Quran. Both Christianity and Islam have the passage 'an eye for an eye' in their main texts, as well as much of the old testament. The difference with christianity, well the clue is in the name: Christ, and the new testament.
Sorry that's not the only difference
The bible is already injected.

I'm just commenting that Christianity is strange in that much of its main text contradicts today's common preaching. The cutting off of ears and noses is an example of how parts of the bible may be practically interpreted.
I feel you posted this to do nothing more than rile up Christians. It would also help if you understood the Bible or knew what you were talking about. The "eye for eye" is Old Testament. Christianity is about the New Testament where this isn't the teachings

Your story deals with Islamic law. Why you feel the need to extrapolate that to "attack" Christians is nothing more than trying to pick a fight

Why not talk about Islam.....as that's what the story is about

Until then, try and research first before posting

IntheNet

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
Your fight is with Islam and law practiced by Pakistan Court...the connection you're attempting to make is invalid; see dukebound85's post repeated below whose sentiments I second...

I feel you posted this to do nothing more than rile up Christians. It would also help if you understood the Bible or knew what you were talking about. The "eye for eye" is Old Testament. Christianity is about the New Testament where this isn't the teachings

Your story deals with Islamic law. Why you feel the need to extrapolate that to "attack" Christians is nothing more than trying to pick a fight

Why not talk about Islam.....as that's what the story is about

Until then, try and research first before posting

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
The cutting off of ears and noses is an example of how parts of the bible may be practically interpreted.
When a court actually cites the Bible and hands down this sentence, then you will have a valid comparison. Until then, I think dukebound85 was dead on in his analysis of why you threw in Christianity.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA

Funny how Christian homophobes always cite the Old Testament as source when they claim being gay is wrong... :rolleyes:

NewGenAdam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Are you suggesting people only cite the bible when it supports their opinion?
:p
No, people can always cite the Bible;
they just cite the bit which supports their opinion.

It's never hard to find a bit which doesn't support their opinion though.

NewGenAdam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
When a court actually cites the Bible and hands down this sentence, then you will have a valid comparison. Until then, I think dukebound85 was dead on in his analysis of why you threw in Christianity.
I'm talking about Christianity because what the Islamic state's proposing seems TOTALLY unChristian but yet the fundamental "an eye for an eye" idea is common to both Islam and Christianity. Even if you assume there to be no greater textual similarities (read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_narratives_and_the_Qur'an), you'll find "an eye for an eye" appearing several times in the Old Testament (Leviticus 24:19–21, Exodus 21:22–25, and Deuteronomy 19:21).

Anyway, forgetting the Islamic aspect:
What interests me far more is that the Christian religious text the Bible, as a whole, is inconsistent with itself.
Or perhaps it's not