iPhone 11 An honest opinion of my new iPhone 11, upgraded from 6S

Progressiveimaging

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2019
I use my iPhone for both personal use and business. I essentially run my company off of it. I do estimates and invoices, collect payment, schedule, take nots, pictures, email customer, do calculations, etc. etc.

I have been using an iPhone 6S for the last 4 years. I changed the battery out a little over a year ago, but it just got terrible. Recently I had to charge it 5-7 times per day. I noticed it getting slightly slower with some apps, so I figured it was time to upgrade.

One of the things I was looking forward to is the new screen, bigger screen means more real estate, right?

So I spent the day playing with my new iPhone 11. I set everything up and used everything the way I normally would. In the end, I am not impressed. It's good, everything works, but it's just not much different than the 6S, at least not in better ways.

It's a lot heavier. It's larger. It's thicker. It's bulky. I would forget those if the size of the screen was good, but it's just not doing anything for me. In most situations it's just like an "old man version" of the iPhone, meaning the same exact thing is on the screen, everything is just larger.

I still have 4 app thumbnails across and 6 down. Almost all apps still show the exact same thing, they just show it bigger.

In some instances, like browsing the web, I get fit more onto the page. That does help a little bit.

In the end, I needed the upgrade, but I am not impressed. Most of the big changes don't apply to me, I'm not a photographer and don't care much about the pictures since the ones on the 6S were fine. The changes that do help me are cancelled out by the negatives (mainly the bulkiness and weight). I should have just bought a new battery for the 6S.

That's just my honest opinion, worth what you paid for it.

gkn1999

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2017
I really don't like the size of the 11/XR/MAX. It's just not comfortable. I'd take a look at the X/XS/11 Pro size though. I think it feels very nice in the hand -- similar to the feel of a 6s.

adrianlondon

macrumors 68000
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Hmm - I got my 6S battery replaced last December, the last moment before the $29 (or currency equivalent) offer ended. My 6S lasts a day easily, running iOS13.1 b4. After having this battery in the phone for over 8 months, the health still says 99% (I never really believe that figure, but it makes me happy to see it so high).

I'll probably get the 11 once I pop into an Apple Store next week to see them, but it really depends on the screen. If the pro is noticeably better (OLED vs LCD) then I might splash out on the pro, but then I'll need to spend ages working out which size to get.

I *do* want a better camera, and my 6S is only 16GB, so I'm ready for the upgrade. I'll be keeping my 6S though as a spare phone and also for running Cyclemeter on my bike mount.

Iphone5preorder

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Funny. I completely agree. I have the 6s on my desk along with my new Pro that just arrived. Haven't been able to play with it yet because the data transfer keeps failing, but my initial thoughts are that it's way too heavy and too large in general.

The 6s was more ergonomic and the screen size was perfect. Looking forward to the camera, speed and battery of the new phone but the 6s is a better phone in my opinion when it comes to feel, overall size and use.

I'm going to keep it but it'll be tough to get used to.

danniexi

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
No, the battery life in the 6S was always great until the second battery failed (I had it installed at Apple for the $25 discounted price). I never had to charge the battery during the day in the fist 3 years of owning it.
better as in better performance and battery life compared to the 6S in general.

but if you were completely satisfied with your 6S, then yes, a new battery would have sufficed instead of opting for a new phone.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
This is the reason I went iPhone this time around. Cause getting a Note 10+ would be too similar to my S10+. Been there done that countless times.

Maybe I just have super strength, but I don't really feel much of weight difference compared other recent iPhones. I was expecting a much more noticeable difference.

Progressiveimaging

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2019
Hmm - I got my 6S battery replaced last December, the last moment before the $29 (or currency equivalent) offer ended. My 6S lasts a day easily, running iOS13.1 b4. After having this battery in the phone for over 8 months, the health still says 99% (I never really believe that figure, but it makes me happy to see it so high).
Mine still said 96% battery health when it started. It still says 86% battery health right now, Peak Performance. Yet I will lose 30% of the battery charge while spending 10 minutes reading a website lol.

Iphone5preorder

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
This is the reason I went iPhone this time around. Cause getting a Note 10+ would be too similar to my S10+. Been there done that countless times.

Maybe I just have super strength, but I don't really feel much of weight difference compared other recent iPhones. I was expecting a much more noticeable difference.
What do you mean by recent iPhones? If you compare the 6s to the Pro, it literally feels like double the weight. If you compare the X, of course it's not going to be much different...

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
I think this also could simply be a case of getting adjusted to a a new phone.

You've been using the 6s for 4 years (and use it for personal & business use) so that is thousands upon thousands of hours of being accustomed to a specific advice. The 6s & 11 have quite a gap between them, but your initial comparison is that of the phone that's been your to go for 4 years & 1 you've just had for a day.

What you're describing isn't uncommon, but it will take some time to get used to. Overall, the specs & capabilities far outweigh those of the 6s.

I think it's just a matter of getting used to this new phone...

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
What do you mean by recent iPhones? If you compare the 6s to the Pro, it literally feels like double the weight. If you compare the X, of course it's not going to be much different...
Well I don't have a 6S, the oldest iPhone I have is the 7+. I never had the X or XS, but I compared the Pro Max with the XR weight in hand at the Apple store today, and it wasn't that big of a difference. The way some are speaking about the weight, I was expecting to unbox a brick.

Maybe I'm just used to dealing with differ phones.

Progressiveimaging

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2019
I think this also could simply be a case of getting adjusted to a a new phone.

You've been using the 6s for 4 years (and use it for personal & business use) so that is thousands upon thousands of hours of being accustomed to a specific advice. The 6s & 11 have quite a gap between them, but your initial comparison is that of the phone that's been your to go for 4 years & 1 you've just had for a day.

What you're describing isn't uncommon, but it will take some time to get used to. Overall, the specs & capabilities far outweigh those of the 6s.

I think it's just a matter of getting used to this new phone...
That's the thing, I am used to it. I am back at zero.

Normally I feel overwhelmed with a new product and that it will take me days or weeks to get fully accustomed to. And I like that excitement.

With the 11, I have gone thru everything and ran it thru a full day and as I sit here right now I feel like a have a larger 6S.

I've gone thru all the guides and found the different features and settings. Some things are cool. Face ID isn't bad. But when considering everything, I still feel unimpressed.

It's a phone, I will probably get good use out of it for the next 3-4 years. This thread wasn't made to be all complaints, just my honest opinion.
- - Post merged: - -

Maybe return the new phone for the iPhone 8?
Hmmmm, Never thought of that.

That would save me $10 per month for the next 30 months, not a big deal. But I would have a phone that would not last as many years after, right?

Wokis

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Also coming from a 6s.

I’ve held the XR in the Apple Store (curiously never taken notice of one in the wild) and arrived at the conclusion that this would never be the size for me. I hit the hard limit before going above 6”, and with thicker borders to boot.

So when I realised the 11 was just a refreshed XR I knew that I’d have to shell out for the smaller Pro instead. I received my 11 Pro today and can relate to your observations, just to a milder degree. I am especially amused about the fact that I don’t get to see much more of a messages conversation than I did on the 6s screen because the keyboard is moved upwards and allowed to take up more space.

Macalway

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2013
I use my old 6 max for reading. It's very light, and it's nice. Like others say, it probably feels like it weighs half of a 11 pro max.

Everything is greatly improved on these new phones, EXCEPT of course the weight. I got used to the X Max which is a brick. I wouldn't use the 6 again, but it's a very good phone.

Maybe Apple needs to now address this with a lighter/cheaper phone. There's obviously a market for that.

okieoutwest

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2019
california
Earlier this week I posted a table comparing the weights across the iPhone's history. Going from a 6S to an 11 is a 35% increase in weight.

I agree with you about the bulk and weight being pretty noticeable. While I do think over time you might get used to it, 35% is a relatively huge delta.

I'm hoping a smaller (rumored) form factor next year might help keep some of the newest features but offset the weight.

Reactions: janeauburn

Progressiveimaging

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2019
Also coming from a 6s.

I’ve held the XR in the Apple Store (curiously never taken notice of one in the wild) and arrived at the conclusion that this would never be the size for me. I hit the hard limit before going above 6”, and with thicker borders to boot.

So when I realised the 11 was just a refreshed XR I knew that I’d have to shell out for the smaller Pro instead. I received my 11 Pro today and can relate to your observations, just to a milder degree. I am especially amused about the fact that I don’t get to see much more of a messages conversation than I did on the 6s screen because the keyboard is moved upwards and allowed to take up more space.
Exactly. I was excited about the bigger display, that is what I was always looking forward to in an upgrade. I thought it would make both business productivity and personal use better. But it does nothing really.

It reminds me of one of those joke television remotes that you can buy for old people that is the size of a magazine and has really big buttons.

mi7chy

macrumors 603
Oct 24, 2014
Unless you gave it up why not just replace the battery in the 6s from a more reputable source? A quality battery should last more than a year.

Reactions: dazzlingirl

tripleburst

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2018
That's the thing, I am used to it. I am back at zero.

Normally I feel overwhelmed with a new product and that it will take me days or weeks to get fully accustomed to. And I like that excitement.

With the 11, I have gone thru everything and ran it thru a full day and as I sit here right now I feel like a have a larger 6S.

I've gone thru all the guides and found the different features and settings. Some things are cool. Face ID isn't bad. But when considering everything, I still feel unimpressed.

It's a phone, I will probably get good use out of it for the next 3-4 years. This thread wasn't made to be all complaints, just my honest opinion.
- - Post merged: - -

Hmmmm, Never thought of that.

That would save me $10 per month for the next 30 months, not a big deal. But I would have a phone that would not last as many years after, right?
It would last you as long as the X since it has the same processor. Of course not as long as the 11 but maybe as long as your 6S. 6s is still supported in IOS13.

Progressiveimaging

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2019
Unless you gave it up why not just replace the battery in the 6s from a more reputable source? A quality battery should last more than a year.
I had it replaced at the Apple Store.

I worry that the 6S is long in the tooth now and won't last much longer with the software advances.

CE3

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
The 6S Plus had ok battery, but the standard 6S model wasn’t good. I feel like the XR /11 displays are the perfect size. A little heavier than the Plus models, but also a little smaller with plenty of screen real estate and fantastic battery life.

“old man version” of the iPhone
If you say so.

Progressiveimaging

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2019
but also a little smaller with plenty of screen real estate and fantastic battery life.

If you say so.
For most applications it has the exact same screen real estate as the really old models. It just shows things bigger. Like it's made for an old person who forgot their glasses. WTF? Why would they possibly put the same amount of thumbnails on the homescreen and just make them bigger???????