Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matt459

macrumors member
Original poster
im a student in high school and i am planning on buying a laptop soon. I've mostly only worked on Windows machines and im sick of them. We just purchased a new desktop and it has the usual windows problems: slowness, freezing, errors etc... I was wondering, are mac machines really a better solution to the frustration Bill Gates has put on us windows users? If so, i definitly want to purchase an ibook. If not, i could just buy an ugly, windows laptop for 700 bucks.
Also, can someone help me with the basic differnces between windows and Mac OS. Its been a while since ive used a mac, and that was OS 8.

nintendo1138

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2004
go to a MAC and you will feel the difference, most the stuff you can find on a PC you can do on a Mac just as well; or better. Just find a the newest Apple Store near you, or a CompUSA and play with one for a while.

Mr. Monsieur

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2004
go to a MAC and you will feel the difference, most the stuff you can find on a PC you can do on a Mac just as well; or better. Just find a the newest Apple Store near you, or a CompUSA and play with one for a while.
that's basically it...I was "converted" by watching my friend use his iBook EVERYWHERE...on the bus, in my car, walking down the street...it was like an extension of him...Macs are just great machines that work well...but you can't really appreciate all they offer until you take the plunge, buy one, and learn your way around it...

jtown

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Go for the 12", tho. It's cheaper, plenty fast, and significantly smaller. The screen's the same resolution so you can't "see" any more on the 14" screen. Since you're still in high school, your mind is young and limber enough to cope with a new OS so don't even worry about that.

When you buy it, order the biggest hard drive available and add bluetooth. Those are the two things you can't upgrade later. You can add memory later (at significant cost savings) by purchasing from another vendor. You can also add airport extreme later, tho you'll still have to buy that from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.