Carrier An idea for Apple/Carriers to offer dual SIM support to network locked financed devices...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 1080p, Sep 28, 2018.

1. 1080p macrumors 68030

1080p

What if Apple worked with the carriers to have the phone setup to allow another SIM to work in the physical slot... if and only if the eSIM is activated to the network locked carrier.

Example: Phone is financed through T-Mobile. Physical SIM will accept other carrier SIM only if you have ACTIVE service on the eSIM. If you skip out on the financing, T-Mobile blocks the IMEI, making both SIMs useless. Or if you pay it off, request an unlock and then the physical and eSIM become permanently unlocked.

Seems like a good idea...

2. lovelybai macrumors member

Based on offical tech spec, if it is locked, both esim and physical sim have to be from that carrier

3. 1080p thread starter macrumors 68030

1080p

I know... that is why I said it was an "idea." I mean.... as it stands now, I would say the MAJORITY of customers in the US, buy their phone from a carrier on a payment plan or lease. So if both SIMs remain locked, then it seems kinda stupid for Apple to advertise it so hard at the keynote.

4. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

when you have a carrier agreement basically that carrier is either fronting part of the cost or securing you in a contract. There is no good reason for them to let you out of that agreement. Even if only one of the two sims is unlocked. they want 1005 of your money, not 50%

5. 1080p thread starter macrumors 68030

1080p

Who said anything about "letting you out of the agreement?" As a matter of fact, my idea... as stated... gives you dual SIM functionality while REQUIRING you to keep up your service with the carrier.

6. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

Then the carriers should also be required to not force you to pay off your phone if you leave. All you should be required to do is give the phone back and walk away. The carriers want their cake and eat it too.

7. stafil macrumors 6502

Why do people still finance their phones through the carrier? Get it on iUP. It’s 0% Apr

8. techiegirl macrumors 65816

techiegirl

To avoid a hit on your credit every year. Carrier financing does not check your credit for every device.

9. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Why the heck would the SIM1 carrier let you use another carrier?

So they could miss out on the potential revenue on SIM2?

10. stafil macrumors 6502

Neither does iUP, AFAIK. It only checks your credit the first year. If you don’t miss or delay your payments they just approve the upgrade.

“Citizens One reserves the right to perform a credit inquiry as needed to determine loan eligibility. Depending on your account performance and transactional history in the iPhone Upgrade Program, Citizens One may approve your new loan application without your credit being affected.”

11. techiegirl macrumors 65816

techiegirl

I got hit last year and this year. No missed or delayed payments.

12. stafil macrumors 6502

Hmm. That sucks. Sorry to hear.

I went through my second time upgrading this year with no hard credit pull.

13. 1080p thread starter macrumors 68030

1080p

International use? Work provided line is on a different carrier? Because I would like the option of using a 2nd carrier where my main carrier has dead zones or no service in a rural area.

14. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

So why would the carrier let you do that? So they can miss out on roaming fees?

I'm sure you would like to use a second carrier. But that's exactly why they wouldn't let you do it.

15. bungledvolley macrumors newbie

bungledvolley

Those are YOUR reasons, not the carrier’s. they would like your work provided line to be with them, otherwise, they don’t stand to lose anything.