An ideal monitor for photo editing 20-24"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thinkband, Apr 20, 2008.

1. thinkband macrumors regular

Hello everyone,

I am going to soon buy a MBP when I go off to college but I am a little unsure about an external monitor. First of all, size... Do I want a large 23-24" or a modest 20.1." There is also brand. I seem to prefer Dell, because dang the Apple monitors are expensive. I guess my price range is around $600.

Some background information: I like computer games, but nothing too crazy. Mostly WOW. So I really do not care too much about the FPS. Though, I am getting into photo editing and would like the best monitor as far as colors go. I guess that would not be the standard TN panels? S-PVA best for my purposes? Which monitors nowadays have this type of panel, because the Dell's I have been looking at seem to be TN based.

Also, I am going to have a roommate and I am unsure if having a fancy monitor might be a little showy. Basically, I do not want it to grow legs and walk away while I am at class if anybody knows what I mean. I am by no means going to a horrible school (going to a UC) but I do get worried what college students might do. If I had a 24" monitor, should I be worried about it getting stolen? Is there anyway to lock the monitor down like there is for laptops? Do college students often have an external monitor for their laptops to use in their dorms?

Thanks for the thoughts. Any way Apple might release some new ACD's before September?

Have a good day!

2. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Well, for colour accuracy I recommend an Eizo, but it may be out of your price range. They have a 5 years warranty though, so it might be worth it to stretch the budget a little. Just look at www.eizo.com

Within your budget, you can't go wrong with a 24" Dell, as far as I know they have the better S-PVA panels. In a small college room I'd get an eyeTV and use it as a TV too.

3. jason999 macrumors member

If buying for photo editing or for video I think a must have is the new 24" full high def screens.

Samsung 2493HM 24" Wide Format, Dual input plus HDMI, Speakers, Full HD Support, 10,000:1 Dynamic Contrast, 400 cd/m2, 5ms.

I own the Samsung 2243bw, great on Windows PC but on the Mac it required it to be calibrated. All lcd screens these days are set for Windows PC's so which ever brand you get you'll need to get it calibrated which is a barrel of laughs, NOT! :(

4. Mr. Quiet macrumors newbie

I just got a Dell 2408WFP (Ultra sharp 1920x1200) and it is incredible. I am running Logic Pro mainly, but stuff in iPhoto looks so crisp and sharp, I guess it would be good for editing. It has usual crop of input source choices (DVI, S-Video, HDMI etc), plus 2xUSB and memory card reader!. It also has a Kensington slot should there be any light fingered bunnies amongst your peers;).
    Not sure of USD price, it was £450 in UK, this includes 3 year premium panel exchange service.

Good viewing!:cool: