An Interesting Look at Entitlements is the US

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Nov 24, 2010.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

[​IMG]
    link

Well I certainly don't agree that the US has "he world's most generous entitlement system" but it's an interesting look at the lower end of the income spectrum.
    Otherwise I though you'd appreciate the slanted rhetoric. :)

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I call BS -- for the very reason you mentioned, slanted rhetoric.

This guy's talking about the poor having more disposable income. Yet the chart shows that income is going to pay for necessities such as housing, utilities, food, etc.

The use of the term "disposable income" might be technically correct in economic terms, but to the average person I think this guy draws up images of poor people buying big screen TVs and cars that the middle class can't afford.

Not to mention he talks about people on assistance as "scamming the system". He knows that for a fact, huh?

Finally, while the author in that link cites his source, he does not provide a link. Here, folks, is the Cleveland Current:

[​IMG]

It's a little community newspaper, and while that doesn't preclude its having economic policy articles, I can't find Mr. Emmerich's article anywhere on its site. I can, however, find an article about duck hunting season. :D

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Likewise, I couldn't find the source article in question.

One thing I'll never claim to be and that's a financial expert... but I see a problem with these numbers and if I'm wrong would appreciate the correction.

Take the line Medicaid and CHIP... $16,500. This is treated like income, but that family doesn't simply get handed that money. That's a benefit they might receive if a medical need arises that they are otherwise unable to pay for.

4. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

"Why, poor people aren't poor -- look at all the money they don't have to spend on yacht fees!"

Ladies and Gentlemen: The Return of the "Welfare Queen." Give me a frickin' break.

5. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

This

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Christ- talk about class warfare. This is truly amazing.

7. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

That's what I was going to point out.

I also have a general distaste for the article's presupposition that those making minimum wage are thieves and are purposefully working a minimum wage job to qualify for all of that aid.

I thought it was people who refused to work that wanted to rely on welfare. You know, because they're lazy. Get your misinformed socially damaging stereotypes straight people.

8. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Perfectly moral. I see nothing wrong with that. :rolleyes:

I would like to see similar data from a more reputable source. I've never searched for anything quite like that so I don't know if it even exists or how accurate this would be on a national scale.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

So you'll make a moral judgement based on questionable information and analysis?

I see nothing wrong with that. :rolleyes:

10. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Since Barack Obama became president and lunatics took over the Republican Party.

12. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I would imagine that he's arguing that since someone on MedicAid isn't paying out of pocket, it frees up the money in the pocket to be spent elsewhere.