An interesting read about Eric Trump, the Secret Service and mixing Business with Washington

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Feb 3, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Article aside, this may be the first time I've seen Don Juan Trumpito in a non solid tie. Suits him rather nicely!

3. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

As a taxpayer I really resent this. I think having SS details for adult children with families of their own is absurd.

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

now lets see this get justified. well that or ignored.

5. HEK Suspended

HEK

While i understand the need for secret service, i too find this quite distasteful.

If the Trumps were less well off i could let it pass, but in all fairness to the nation, it's hard working people and taxpayers, Trump being a multi billionare could really make a statement by re-embursing the US taxpayers he is so fond of saying he is working for.

Consider the good press and propoganda value. I suspect he wouldn't hesitate to promote himself and family with paid consultants or spin masters. Here is a chance to actually put his money where his mouth is.

Come on Trump, save the american taxpayer from expenses of supporting your and your family's billionare lifestyle with taxpayer funded security. Really make a bold statement and pay for this kind of security from your BILLIONS.

Convince me, a guy on social security and a part time job to get by paying for food and medicine that you really are for the people.

6. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Normally I would, but given the reaction to Trumps presidency I would be concerned for my son's safety if God forbid I were Trump, or God forbid I was Trumps son. (That said the Trump family should afford their own security)

Ugh, that was some ugly thinking. Time to take a shower.

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Maybe they should all go live together at the White House.

8. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

9. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Providing security for the presidents family is a long standing tradition. Surely you would not deny something to Trump that was given to Obama.

10. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

As a tax payer I agree. I also think that ss service should end for ex presidents after 1 full term of being out of office.

11. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Agreed.

12. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

For children, most definitely. For full grown adult children not associated with Trump on a daily basis, not so much. You'd think Trump given he refused a salary would also rely on private security for his children. I imagine Trump's family given their extreme status prior to the election have already had security measures in place prior to his political life. He has graciously declined taking a salary and already tried to turn down SS Security for himself.

Where am I denying something Obama had, and what does he even have to do with this?

13. HEK Suspended

HEK

Surely the so called President being a billionare and caring so much for us commoners would re-emburse the taxpayers he purports to be so all firied concerned about.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If Trump were truly a man of the people he should walk out in public without security detail.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

But didn't the article say the SS protection was given to immediate family members? It doesn't sound as if the trump offspring are being treated any differently than any other first family would be. The main difference is that we haven't had a family of globe-trotting adults. So while it feels different, (AFAIK) the policy is still being consistently applied. Honestly, so long as the trump family isn't changing the rules of how a family is protected, I have no problem with the SS adapting to the family's circumstances.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Are you really willing to risk national security by handing over the security of the immediate family to a private company that has nothing to do with presidential needs?
    While I certainly think that the Trump family should reduce the number of engagements, the proposition that adult immediate relatives of the President should not be protected by the most efficient, organized, and respected protection service is foolish, and quite risky.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I wouldn't even request that. People should be able to live their lives and conduct their business as much as possible. The question of trump not truly being divested, or his children being engaged in both the government and private business is still an issue that demands the utmost scrutiny.

But just on a purely philosophical level, if adult offspring are protected, then I believe that protection should adapt to their needs, as opposed to the offspring living restricted lives to accommodate the protection.

18. HEK Suspended

HEK

Don't the Republicans want to privatize everything else. Prisons, schools, keep health care private. So you are admitting their is something the government can do better than private company? Interesting when it the so called President and family's protection, private isn't the best. How do you spell HYPOCRISY.

19. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

But no other president owned the resort where he stayed while on holiday, so the US government never had to pay the president to put up the SS and other staff.

20. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

too bad he can't donate his resorts service to himself.

21. HEK Suspended

HEK

And no previous so called President, has anywhere near the wealth this one claims to have. Footing the security bill for non governmental visit he and his family makes seems rather justified. Would certainly present an image that he truelly does care about the american people. Hey Bannon, look at the fantastic PR it would engender. Talk the so called President into doing it. You got him doing so many other goofy things, this one would actually makes sense.

22. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

He can, but he can't make any money that way.

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Find a single post where I claimed what you said. I am for public schools, and I actually donate a lot of time and effort on the local district's financial committee. I also mentioned multiple times that I am not against single payer.
    I also do work for the government, and yes some stuff is better if done by the gov't (example: NASA).
    Don't call me a hypocrite again.

24. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Trumps family already had heavy security long before he decided to run. I think more bad people would try to target Barron over his older sons. I might be wrong here, but I somehow get the feeling that Barron is Don's favorite.

25. HEK, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017

HEK Suspended

HEK

Actually if you read closely, i didn't call you a hypocrit. I said there is a great deal of hypocrisy in what Republicans (et al) say when as a general collective they expound the virtues of privatization over anything run by government. Until it comes to things benefiting their current favorite son.

I do appologize if my general comment was taken personaly as it wasn't an arrow directed at you. Rather a generalized critique.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 5, 2017 ---
    You really think Barron would be targeted. I don't think so and certainly hope that would not be the case. I rather doubt any family member would be targeted. Past attempts have by and large been towards the office holder himself, at least to my recollection.

Wikopedia had this:
    Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, Jackson, Taft, Roosevelt, Kennedy; John and Robert, Ford, Reagan. With exception of Johnson, every President since Kennedy has been threatened with assasination.

When i looked this up it was rather disturbing to me. With a high percentage seemingly motivated by mental illness, rather than political reasons. As the vice president would be of the same party, political motives would seem illogical.

Political assasinations by country
    Japan 45
    USA 44
    Italy including rome empire 43
    Russia/Soviet Union 41
    France 37
    GB and Northern Ireland 33
    Israel 30
    Sri Lanka 23
    Turkey 22
    Germany 22
    Iraq 20
    Egypt 15
    China 10
    Syria 10

Political assasination is common in countries with following, liberal democracy, international secret societies, powerful corporations, typically leading to formation of organized criminality at top levels which include activities of political assasinations and massive corruption.

Yikes !!!