An iPhone for the cheapskate

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Reflection, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Reflection macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I recently acquired an iPhone 3G. AT&T, of course, requires a data plan to put it into cellular service-- which I simply do not need and am not willing to pay for. Thus, here is my elaborate plan, hatched from many hours of thought and blood and tears (as seems to be typical of dealing with cell phone providers, no? ;) ), which I believe to be an adequate solution.

Talkatone is an app that will allow me to use Google Voice as a VoIP service. Thus, I simply port my current number to Google Voice and use my iPhone when I'm in range of wifi or my flip phone when I'm not. Problem? The iPhone 3G doesn't support multitasking, and thus is not compatible with Talkatone (I'm aware that I could jailbreak it, but that's not something that I'm particularly interested in right now).

The 3G I have is worth approximately $150 (it's basically in mint condition). Thus, I can sell it, plop an extra $50 down for an iTouch 4G.

That got me thinking. The iPhone 4S is also $199 (with a contract). Thus, I could buy the 4S for the same price as the iTouch, immediately cancel the data plan (since the contract is only for voice), move the SIM back to my dumbphone and have an iPhone 4S as an iPod.

Benefits over and above the iPod: according to several threads of discussion both here and elsewhere, the 4S is faster than the iPod and the resale value will undoubtedly be higher. The only drawback is the 2yr contract, which I'm not sure I care about.

The only hitch might be with the AT&T contract and if my current plan will satisfy the terms...

Thoughts?

2. forcetactic macrumors 6502

If you're on a single plan, buy an iPhone 4 $275 off craigs and sign up for straight talk's unlimited talk/text/data for $45 a month no contract

3. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

If you plan on getting an iPhone 4S from AT&T you will not be able to cancel the data plan. You can choose the lowest tier they offer, but you can not just dump the plan. It's part of the contract.

4. Reflection, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

Reflection thread starter macrumors newbie

AT&T employees and other users from the AT&T forums apparently disagree:

"If you switch to a basic phone for the term of your contract to meet that obligation, you may drop the data plan."

"you do not have to have a data plan for the time that you are not using the smartphone. The contract is for voice only. Data is not part of the contract, and is only required for use of the smartphone."

"You are only required to have the data plan as long as you are using a phone that has a data plan requirement. So as long as you use a Smartphone (iPhone, Android, Windows Mobile/Phone, Blackberry etc etc etc) you have to have a Smartphone data plan. If you have an Smartphone and you device to go back to a non-smartphone device, you can have the data plan removed."

"The requirement for data is not related to the 2-year commitment. Your 2-year commitment was for voice service only, not data. The requirement for data is because the iphone is a smartphone and all smartphones require a data plan whether they are in a 2-year contract or not. During your 2-year contract you could have switched to a non-smartphone and dropped the data plan at any time."
    http://forums.att.com/t5/Apple-iPhone/Using-iPhone-3G-with-no-data-plan/td-p/2675799/page/2

5. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I never said a word about a 'basic' phone. I was simply refreshing you on the iPhone 4S.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can remove the iPhone data if your not using an iPhone with that sim any more.
    You just gotta put it in the regural flip cell and call them to give them the imei number.
    I don't know about getting $150 for your iPhone 3G.
    Unless you find someone drunk:)

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I have WiFi at home. at work, and at many hotspots around my hometown. I hardly ever use 3G data, so I have the lowest package. Still having 3G access has saved my bacon several times when I needed access to data on the hoof. The OP might want to consider whether they might want the 3G as a backup.

8. Reflection thread starter macrumors newbie

The contracts of the 4S and the basic phone are the same: voice only.

The terms of service are different.

Haha, now there's an idea. ;)

Exhibit A:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPhon...=Cell_Phones&hash=item2c63994c77#ht_500wt_912

Hmm. Potentially. Thanks.

9. daaneel macrumors regular

so your telling me i can buy a 32gb iphone 4s on contract for what $250? and then cancel the data and just have a regular talk/text plan?

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not with an iPhone on that line: AT&T will add a data plan if you try to cancel it.

11. daaneel macrumors regular

so then all i need to do is switch to a phone that is not a smartphone?

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What would be the point?

You would have an iPod - and it is cheaper to just buy one.

13. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

yes then your data plan will be dropped, however, after the data plan is dropped and you pop that sim card back into a smartphone, it will detect you are using a smartphone and will put you back into a data plan.

14. daaneel macrumors regular

yea but you could turn around and the sell the iphone and pretty much pay your phone bills for a year lol