An iPhone miracle

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stampyhead, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

On Saturday my wife and I took our two youngest kids (2.5 and 1.5) out to a local park that has several duck ponds. We saw some friends there and stopped for a second to say hello while the kids ran around together. At one point I looked over at the closest duck pond and saw my daughter disappear under the water. Without a moment's hesitation I ran over there and jumped in after her, forgetting that my iPhone was in my pocket. After I pulled my daughter out and we made sure she was fine (she had only been in for 30 seconds max) my wife said to me, "what about your phone?" I didn't even want to think about the fact that my non-human baby was probably dead, so I just pulled it out of my pocket, handed it to her and took my daughter away to wrap her in a blanket. I keep my phone in a leather Sena sleeve, and my wife told me later on that when she took it out of the sleeve it was almost completely dry. When we got home I put the phone in a bag of rice and kept it there overnight. The next day I decided to give it a try and it turned on just fine. I tried to make a phone call, it went through just fine and the other person could hear me clearly. All of the apps opened fine, even the camera took pictures with no signs of moisture or spots. As far as I could tell it was working just like before. This was blowing my mind, as you can imagine, because just the day before the phone was completely submerged in 4 feet of water for at least 5-10 seconds. I guess the leather case managed to keep most of the water away from it.
    When I used my phone on the train this morning I noticed two little things that may or may not be signs of water damage: 1) the video player stopped on its own half way through the video I was watching and then the sound kept cutting out after I turned it back on, and 2) the battery seems to be draining slightly faster than before. But if this is the worst that happens to it after the ordeal it went through there's no way I can complain at all. At the end of the day both my daughter and my phone are alive.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

1st I'll say one dad to another glad your daughters ok and good job dad... try the rice in a phone in a bag for a couple days.. though it's best to do it before turning the phone on.. If it's really bad and you can take to a Apple store try it. I would also tell the genus the story of what happened. We have found compassion by genus's in the past but it's been a little tougher since apple care+ came out... worst case you can replace it for $199 which is a steal compared to your daughters life...:D

3. Stampyhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Thanks. I'll tell you, when I saw her disappear under the water my iPhone was the farthest thing from my mind. All I was thinking about was getting my daughter to safety. You're right, I probably should have kept the phone in the rice longer. If those little niggles keep happening I may take it to the Apple store and see if I can get any sympathy. I live in the UK so we don't have AppleCare+ here. Worst case, my phone is insured and I can get a replacement if I need to.