An iPhone with a 4.3" Screen @ 3:2 Aspect

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Want300, Aug 3, 2012.

?

For the new iPhone's Screen... Do you want?

Poll closed Aug 23, 2012.
  1. A larger screen that is Wider and Taller

155 vote(s)
    79.1%
  2. A larger screen that is only taller

26 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. No change in screen size

13 vote(s)
    6.6%
  4. Other

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. Want300, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012

Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I decided to see what an iPhone with a 4.3" iPhone with an aspect ratio of 3:2 would feel and look like. I did it assuming roughly the iPhone 4/4S bezel and thickness.

I have do not have big hands... Holding this 4.3 inch "phone" feels REALLY good. It is not too big to use with one hand, and it is still set up like a "brick" (no rounded edges). It feels just fine in my pocket.

See pictures below. This is what I want the iPhone to be like.

ADDITIONAL PIC:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I think 4.3 is as large as i'd want to go based on holding current 4.3 phones and finding I can hit all targets.

3. theman510 macrumors 6502a

I, personally, would LOVE to see one this size. I think if it's just elongated I'll be a little disappointed but I'm prepared for that ;)

4. audix macrumors regular

This makes sense. I like this. If you want a bigger phone it has to be even.

5. Want300 thread starter macrumors 65816

Want300

I am prepared for that as well... And expect it, but I hope thats not what we get. The mock up I made feels like the right size. I made it in AutoCad, so everything is to scale based off of the iPhone 4S (bezel/dead space/home button).

6. dvoros macrumors 6502

iPhone5 with 4.3 screen

:eek:
    I could accept this but I would love a 4.5- 4.8 inch screen. Thats not a whole lot bigger.

7. Want300 thread starter macrumors 65816

Want300

8. Want300 thread starter macrumors 65816

Want300

Here is the 4.3" screen we agree on... I was bored and made it.

9. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

That's very cool Want300 :)

I really hope we get a screen that is both wider and taller. A 4.5 would be perfect imo, but 4.3 would be a great improvement over the current form.

10. Want300 thread starter macrumors 65816

Want300

Thanks... I owe it to my college education and AutoCAD. And boredom.

I am interested to follow the results of the poll.

11. Tones2 macrumors 65816

You are all getting a taller not wider 4" phone. It's already done. I will be SHOCKED and the first one to admit I was totally wrong if it turns out to be anything else.

Go Android if you want something bigger in the next 2 years (which I already have).

12. lazard macrumors 68000

looks good

13. Want300 thread starter macrumors 65816

Want300

Hopefully, you are end up shocked. I tried Android already with the S2 as my work phone for 6 months... I gave it good effort, it just wasnt for me. but the screen size was great.

I might check out the changes with the S3 (in a trial run during the return period) if we get the only taller iPhone...

14. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

Good luck getting people to redo there apps yet again.

15. Want300 thread starter macrumors 65816

Want300

Out of curiosity, how are you a part of the iOS 6 Beta? Are you a developer?

16. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

Yes, Cat Trap, Wrecking Ball, and Land Mines. I do the graphics. Each game I make I learn something new... Land Mines was my first with "animation"

17. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I will each my right shoe if the next iphone is a 4.3" 3:2 display. You're mockup (which is really well done by the way, kudos) just proves this to me further.

Keep in mind I already ate my left shoe when I said the next air won't have USB3.0...

This is one reason:
    [​IMG]
    Your thumb easily reaches across the screen without using the other hand, fussing, or stretching, or anything.

And on the mockup:
    [​IMG]
    Your thumb would barely reach across. You would have to probably either fuss with the phone or stretch a bit to get there, and this is with the super-thin bezel.

Assumptions:
    (1) I assume your the flap of skin between your thumb and and index finger ends right above the knuckle of your thumb, as I indicated in the picture. I looked up this little factoid real quick from some random anatomy website.
    (2) Your mockup has a pretty thin bezel; apple seems to like thicker bezels. I know the GS3 has a thin bezel, but keep in mind that apple will probably have the antenna wrap around this thing which the GS3 does not.

18. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I think 4.3 inches would be a good (ideal?) size for me, although I honestly do believe that the 4" stretched phone is the best thing for Apple all around. It's a great compromise of keeping the phone small enough for children/girls, yet still making it larger for all the people clamoring for that, while giving the easiest possible transition for developers WHILE maintaining the same PPI. Plus it adds just enough screen space for an extra row of icons. I feel that it just fits together so nicely is so many ways.

I can't wait! :)

19. leoneedees macrumors member

This is the Iphone I am looking forward come September 12th (hopefully). I really want to come over to the iphone world mostly for jailbreak. Unfortunately anything less than a 4.3 screen is a huge turn off for me after trying all the newer 4.3 and up phones and would make my decision very easy.

20. Want300 thread starter macrumors 65816

Want300

When I made the mock up, I used the bezel thickness from my iPhone 4S. Pretty cool what you did btw.

When I type, I use both of my thumbs...

Yes, for my small hand, the iPhone's current size is great. BUT I still want the bigger screen.

ADDITIONAL: Thanks too. I wanted to know how it the phone would feel in my hand and in my pocket. Most people say the iPhone 4 form factor would be too much of a brick at that size. It does not bother me when in my pocket (I did not notice it any more than my current phone) or in my hand.

21. irDigital0l Guest

wider and taller 4.3 inch screen would be sweet...

I wouldn't mind the iPhone being a little bigger if they did that.

22. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

I like this mock up a lot, just one thing, why cant they get rid of all the wasted space. Make the screen closer to the speaker which will make the phone a little smaller.

23. GeeSixx macrumors regular

GeeSixx

I really hope Tim Cook meant what he said about doubling down on security - that way we will see something completely different than what we are all expecting. Fingers crossed for a 4" iPhone wider and longer than the current 4S. :)

24. LittleGwen macrumors 6502

yes yes yes please!!!!!!!!!!! i don't mind if it was even bigger! So jealous of my husband's 4.8 inch screen.... THAT.. on an iphone would be sweet :D

25. nfl46 macrumors 604