An iPod nano convinced me to buy an Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by seble, Aug 24, 2015.

1. seble macrumors 6502a

I'm a physical/mechanical/whatever you wanna call it kinda guy, I've never done 'digital' watches. I'm in college (uni) and I can't think of a time that I've ever not had a watch on my wrist for more than a couple of days. My lovely daily driver watch developed bad condensation and died, and that's when I decided to pull my old iPod nano out of a drawer.

Within an hour i'd ordered a Lunatik leather strap for it, and in the next few days that was it. My first 'Apple Watch'. I'd been on the fence about the real AW for months. For a student an AW is expensive, and I knew in a couple of months I'd be wanting a 6s plus anyway. But this nano. Wow, the cool factor. Here I have this thing on my wrist, that tracks my steps & runs, has many clock faces (one might argue more so than an AW), plays music, and just feels cool and futuristic. It left me wanting more.

I mean there are so many things I wish it could do. I wish I could set timers on the thing and actually hear (or feel) them go off, I wish the screen would automatically adjust the brightness to when I go outside - boy is it annoying to have to manually adjust the brightness in settings all the time. I mean notifications yeah, cool, everyone understands the AW can do that, but having my runs automatically sync to my phone without having to plug into iTunes? These things might seem trivial, but the nano watch really was apple giving a glimpse at the future, and I'm looking forward to finally having the 'future' with me now.

Let's not forget the screen. The nano screen, yeah it was great at the time, but my, now it looks washed out and awful. For the nano to succeed as a watch it needs a really great screen especially for someone used to non digital watches - the nano just doesn't have a great screen, the 'black' doesn't disappear into the bezel like an AW does, making the display seem bigger.

Having a watch you have to charge made me realise that this isn't actually a massive issue. I mean I don't think I'll be able to go travelling or trekking next year with this thing just because charging it might not always be available, but here in the UK, in my normal life it'll be fine.

Finally though, my biggest gripe with the nano: It's unusable without two hands. To me, what sort of watch is a watch if you have to press a button to see the time? Defeats the purpose of having it on your wrist. I mean a phone is one handed - I could reach into my pocket pull it out, push the button and have seen the time, all with one hand. I cannot wait to have a watch where I can raise my wrist to see the time again and not have to press a button again.

Essentially (Tl;dr), I'm really looking forward to trying out the 'future' tomorrow when my watch arrives. The nano gave me a glimpse for it, and I mean its 2015, doesn't just having the time on our wrists seem a bit defunct? And if I'm still not convinced, I guess I have 14 days or whatever to return this hopefully gorgeous thing.

2. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I still say that the previous-gen Nano was the real Watch v.1.0, or even the public beta. I want to believe that as soon as Apple employees themselves started wearing it as a pseudo-watch around 1 Infinite Loop, Jony and Tim whispered to each other, "We gotta kill this Nano right away and work on a real watch…"

Indeed, if you look back at the Watch's development history, they only started really working hard on it as your Nano was being phased out.

Here's my pair:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440468400.615838.jpg

3. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Not satisfied? Return it

You don't know if you will really want it until you use it for a couple days. Apple's advertisements with models wearing it don't really say much

4. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

5. seble thread starter macrumors 6502a

I get that feeling too, you can just tell the watch was inspired by the nano. It's a great shame that some of the faces present in the nano watch didn't make it to the Apple Watch though!

Even the original nano isn't going for that much ;) (unless it's brand new of course)

6. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

This old Nano is my favorite iPod, too. The clip is great when my pocket isn't easily accessible, like on the Metro or a bus, and unlike the Shuffle, it's got a screen for easier navigation. Plus it's got a radio as a bonus.

I learned that it's a terrible watch, though, for the same reasons you gave in the opening post. It's also not waterproof, so I got paranoid of stray splashes whenever I washed my hands.

I've mostly used it without the wristband, and a few times with an armband. I'll only get rid of it when we finally sell off our iPad 2… maybe.