An issue with my new Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24" LED LCD Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jim468, Jun 21, 2012.

1. jim468 macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I recently got this IPS monitor. Everything works well with it except for this one thing.

Based on what angle I look at the screen from, the blacks on the corners of the screen turn grey pretty quickly. Even if the offset angle is very small.

Even when looking head on, I can see the black's at the bottom right corner turn grey. This gets more frustrating when I am watching a movie and the black bars at the bottom and top turn grey.

It's easier to explain with pictures. So here is the imgur link.

Can you help me identify this issue? Is this really an issue, or do all IPS monitors behave this way? This is my first IPS display I am not happy with the screen and would like to return it.

I hope I am asking this at the right place. Please suggest. Thanks in advance!

2. Pistachio macrumors newbie

That looks to me like your LED backlight bleeding through the edges. My Samsung LED TV does something similar but doesn't look as pronounced as yours.

I'm not familiar with your display, but you can generally try tuning down the brightness a little and, wait for it, loosening the screws slightly in the offending corners of the display.

That's my impression anyway, perhaps someone else who owns the display can help you more. From the look of your pictures I'd personally consider returning the display for another, their not all going to look like that.

3. jim468 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I tried reducing the brightness but it did not help much.

One question. On your Samsung TV, does backlight bleed disappear when you look at the screen from a different viewing angle?
    Because as you can see in pictures 1 and 2 of the link I posted above, when I change the viewing angle from one to the other, the grey's turn into black and vice-versa.

What do you think? Thanks again and I will be calling Dell.

4. Pistachio macrumors newbie

Looks like I might be wrong about the cause.
    Just did a search and came across this in another thread;

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1090075

The U2412 comes with a polarizer though so you shouldn't be having this problem.

5. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

My Dell U2412 does not have this OP. Give Dell a call for a replacement if not over the exchange period. Good luck

6. jim468 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for this information and the link. This is exactly what I am experiencing. I did a quick search on Youtube and found several videos showing this "glow" on these U2412M displays.

As you suggested that this monitor comes with a polarizer, do you think getting it replaced to fix this? I am curious because this issue seems more common than I thought it would be.

----------

OK. Will do. Thanks.

7. Pistachio macrumors newbie

I'd go with SR45's suggestion and replace the display. It seems for the cheaper price of these displays there's the chance of a price to be paid with panel uniformity, but I couldn't imagine you'd get a worse display than what you have already.

8. jim468 thread starter macrumors regular

OK. Thanks.

9. stiwi macrumors regular

I have a different question, why refresh rate setting is missing in display preference? I have U2410, Benq and both for both of them system shows refresh rate in preferences, but for U2412M it doesn't.