An Open Letter to Donald Trump from Humans of New York

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bent christian, Mar 14, 2016.

1. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

An Open Letter to Donald Trump:

Mr. Trump,

I try my hardest not to be political. I’ve refused to interview several of your fellow candidates. I didn’t want to risk any personal goodwill by appearing to take sides in a contentious election. I thought: ‘Maybe the timing is not right.’ But I realize now that there is no correct time to oppose violence and prejudice. The time is always now. Because along with millions of Americans, I’ve come to realize that opposing you is no longer a political decision. It is a moral one.

I’ve watched you retweet racist images. I’ve watched you retweet racist lies. I’ve watched you take 48 hours to disavow white supremacy. I’ve watched you joyfully encourage violence, and promise to ‘pay the legal fees’ of those who commit violence on your behalf. I’ve watched you advocate the use of torture and the murder of terrorists’ families. I’ve watched you gleefully tell stories of executing Muslims with bullets dipped in pig blood. I’ve watched you compare refugees to ‘snakes,’ and claim that ‘Islam hates us.’

I am a journalist, Mr. Trump. And over the last two years I have conducted extensive interviews with hundreds of Muslims, chosen at random, on the streets of Iran, Iraq, and Pakistan. I’ve also interviewed hundreds of Syrian and Iraqi refugees across seven different countries. And I can confirm— the hateful one is you.

Those of us who have been paying attention will not allow you to rebrand yourself. You are not a ‘unifier.’ You are not ‘presidential.’ You are not a ‘victim’ of the very anger that you’ve joyfully enflamed for months. You are a man who has encouraged prejudice and violence in the pursuit of personal power. And though your words will no doubt change over the next few months, you will always remain who you are.

Sincerely,
    Brandon Stanton

http://www.humansofnewyork.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/humansofnewyork

2. FieldingMellish Suspended

You really don't dig Trump, with your ten threads on the subject.

3. chown33 macrumors 604

If he's really a journalist, shouldn't he have written "alleged humans of New York"?

Inquiring minds want to know.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, the person he's writing about is barely human. If he were any less so, he'd be flinging his feces when he's mad.

At this point I think it's beyond denial -- although I'm sure someone will try -- that Trump is the most incredibly divisive presidential candidate we've had since George Wallace.

I think it's also true that, after a period from the 1970s to now during which they were kept in check, he's unleashed the monsters from the ID that live just below the surface of so many conservatives.

Racism is the new black, if you'll pardon a morbid turn of phrase.

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Do people not understand that Trump is providing us theater? His views are extreme because it get air time but do not reflect his actual stance. Trump is "that guy"

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

7. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

So what is his actual stance?

8. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

On his 30+ years of ego driven talk I'll leave it for you to decide

9. bent christian thread starter Suspended

bent christian

Yes, I full understand that. That's why I have been telling people to grab a bucket of popcorn and enjoy the show. Donald Trump is toying with people. He has no chance to win the presidency and doesn't care either way if he wins. Donald Trump is just talking S and enjoying the attention. But, people are being assault at his command and he doesn't care about that, either. The situation has changed. It's time for active opposition.

10. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Boo hoo, Mr. New Yorker. How about a safe space?

11. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I think he has a chance of winning, but I also think he has no real values so he'll be easily manipulated. He'd be less bad the Mr. Cruz I'm just undecided if he'd be more or less bad than Ms. Clinton. I'm inclined to say less because he doesn't have any real convictions and she does.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

like Obamacare, you are going to have to elect him to see what's there :D

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I would make 10 more threads about Trump, we clearly haven't gotten the gist of your disdain for the man. If we did the same thing only about Hillary, we could probably crash macrumors servers.

14. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Shouldn't have written it in crayon either.

15. chown33 macrumors 604

It is known.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 14, 2016 ---
    I see no crayons here.

A hollow voice says "plugh".

16. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

New Yorkers? Humans? Aren't they the people who urinate in the street instead of toilets like civilized people? Who cares what they think?

17. FieldingMellish Suspended

Writing in need of a vocabulary and an editor.

18. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

People would complain.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Oh look, Mr. Duck got another thing wrong, again.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

21. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Oh look, downer made another unsubstantiated claim. Shockface.

22. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

New York values are the best.

23. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Probably call me a sexist *******.

24. CPx macrumors 6502

I love the people attempting to dissect the name Humans of New York and thus dissect the message. Classic gleeful ignorance.

25. bent christian thread starter Suspended

bent christian

Yup. Trump is truly The Great Revealer.