An Open Letter to President-Elect Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Nov 13, 2016.

1. vrDrew, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016

vrDrew macrumors 65816

Dear President-Elect Trump:

Contrary to my expectations, you won the election, and will be our next President. Congratulations.

Let me start out by saying this: There is no question about the legitimacy of your coming Presidency. We are a nation of laws, and under those laws you are 100% entitled to the office you will soon assume. I will strenuously oppose any efforts to de-legitimize you, or your Presidency.

Some people in this country are protesting your election. That is their right to do so. The same laws that give you the right to become President also give them the right to express their opinion. Freedom of Speech is one of the things that makes America "Great" - even if sometimes we disagree with that speech or even, as in this instance, that speech is irrelevant. (More on this later.)

I would be lying if I said I do not continue to have great concerns about your abilities to be a great or successful President. You began your political career with the allegation, one you later recanted, that your predecessor, Barack Obama, was somehow ineligible to be President. That bothers me. It demonstrates a fundamental disregard for the truth, and an opportunism that is unworthy of the person holding the office of the Presidency. Don't do things like that again.

I am also concerned about a great many things you said during the campaign. You do not know more about military affairs than our professional officers. That doesn't mean that the generals and colonels who will soon be advising you are always right. But they do have training and experience that you do not. Listen very closely to what they tell you. Weigh the advice and counsel carefully, and decide against them only on the strongest possible grounds.

I have serious concerns about the potential conflict of interest in your extensive business affairs and that of the Presidency. Get ahead of this problem. Difficult as it may seem, you need to assign control of your private business affairs to truly independent managers. Your children, regardless of their business acumen, do not fit into this category. It might surprise you, but there is a more than reasonable possibility that if you do so, you will leave the Presidency considerably wealthier than you are now. I don't expect that you will follow a half century or more of precedent by annually releasing your income tax returns. But understand that eventually, this is going to catch up with you.

As President, you are going to be criticized. That goes with the job. Conservatives criticized President Obama for being too liberal. Liberals because he was too conservative. Take a page out of President Obama's playbook and put it into perspective. Laugh it off publicly when appropriate. Don't take it personally in private. But also weigh carefully the opinions of those that disagree with you.

Foreign affairs is an area where you, our soon-to-be President, has great influence. While the United States is indeed the most powerful and influential nation, that is a status we did not attain on our own. US military, political, social, and economic power relies to a great extent on the amity and co-operation of many other nations. Don't antagonize our friends around the world. Stand with them in their own struggles. Recognize that people in Paris, Tokyo, and London are going to see the world somewhat differently than voters in Dade County. Placating Miami Republicans while enraging people in Dusseldorf and Seoul is likely to have seriously negative long term consequences for our nation

Pick your advisors and friends carefully. I would again be lying if I didn't say this was an area of great concern. You seem to have surrounded yourself with individuals who seem either sycophantic or intent on pursuing an agenda that is probably at odds with that of the interests of the majority of Americans. Nip this problem in the bud.

I will end this by noting that you have made your entire career one that is defined by one simple parameter: You winning. In that process you have left many people hurt. Vendors and lenders left unpaid. Customers dissatisfied. Understand this very clearly: As President, you are playing with stakes that are infinitely higher. A misjudgement on your part doesn't leave bankers negotiating arguing with lawyers over the terms of a bankruptcy. It leaves American servicemen and women dead. It leaves children and families without access to healthcare and jobs.

You simply cannot let the concept of Donald Trump winning define your Presidency. If you do that, then you are destined to fail. For once in your lifetime, you need to rise above that ideal and embrace the principle that you are the leader of a nation of 320 million people, many millions of whom did not, and probably never will, support you.

President-Elect Trump, you have a great opportunity. You will be blessed with a Congressional majority rarely seen in modern US politics. Don't waste that chance. Don't use it to settle old scores or pursue agendas that are neither in the interests of the people you serve, nor the nation you lead.

I'm willing to give you a chance. please don't disappoint me, or the millions of people in this country.

2. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Ambien?

In all seriousness, I am glad you're keeping an open mind.

3. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

Trump never said he was an expert in foreign affairs (though he is way smarter than Gary Johnson) and he's a businessman. Having worked almost 20 years in the private sector that type of speech is way different than the public sector. When trump says that he'll be surrounded by smart people (such as generals) that's his way of saying I don't know everything that is why I have smart people around me.

An had you listen to one of President's Trump acceptance speeches you would had heard him say that he is handing over the reigns of the company to his two (or three) oldest children and have fun with it.

4. ibookg409, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016

ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Dear President-Elect Trump:

You are in no doubt receiving many open letters from dyed-in-the-wool self important liberals. I encourage you to not throw these away. You can instead read them on the presidential commode, they will make some excellent toilet paper.

Respectfully,

Ron Swanson

5. kobalap macrumors 6502

Sadly, it is the liberal elites that will benefit most in the Trump presidency. All those letters ought to be saying, "even though I hate your guts, thanks for the extra vacations I'll be taking over the next 4 years."

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'd add, don't be so thinned skinned. If they hit me I'll hit them back will not serve you as President.

7. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

Wonderfully written vrDrew. You have my respect. Thank you for writing this. :)

8. samcraig macrumors P6

I say this without hesitation. You're part of the problem. Quit pointing fingers at the other guy when you can't even resist being snarky towards someone that wrote a very well articulated letter.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yeah we shouldn't call out the guy who wrote this and started the threads titled:

How long before regret sets in?

Conservatives think they won, but they didn't.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

Well - interesting question. Do you believe people's opinions can evolve?

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Like how he like wiki leaks until it started revealing DNC and Podesta emails?

12. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Seem to be a waste of time to post this here, there are many ways to try and contact President Elect Trump. I can understand your misgivings, and would be lying if I said I did not share one or two of them, and many of my own.

Time will tell, we'll just have to take a wait and see approach until he takes office. I have also contacted President Elect Trump, and expressed my desire for him to fallow his 100 day plan, as he promised to do if elected. I intend to hold him to it. If he does not try and fallow his plan I will contact him and be very harsh with him in my displeasure.

I won't fallow him blindly, if I do not agree with something he does in office, I will express it, here and elsewhere.

13. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

It doesn't matter if it's well articulated if it's full of inaccuracies.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 13, 2016 ---
    He doesn't want to contact Trump. I personally feel he (or she) just wants attention. There are people looting, rioting, and setting fires and mr Drew has nary a word to say about that.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

Not to pivot - but members of the right (or those that voted for Trump) are coming out as well and committing hate crimes. I'm not a fan of the civil unrest from either side when it's counter-productive to their causes.

15. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Do you have a source to back up this claim?

16. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Ok. Which trump voters are coming hate crimes.

17. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Dont you remember the great republican riots of 2008??

18. Meister Suspended

Meister

19. samcraig macrumors P6

Did you not just see the links I posted?

20. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

You'll have to define what you mean by "Members of the Right", nowhere in your links could I find any proof that the people that are claimed to have committed "hate crimes" were in fact Trump voters. You'll need to provide a source for that claim.

and "claims" are all these are, not one of the stories in the sources you linked has been successfully prosecuted, or even charged with a hate crime.

People have the Right to free speech, even hateful speech, chanting, " Build the Wall" is not hate speech.

21. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Dear Emperor Trump,

Please investigate vrDrew. He claims he is a government employee and I suspect writes his long polemics on government time. This is a clear case of waste, fraud, and abuse.

Furthermore, please re-introduce the $100,000 bill and send me one.

Regards,

//original signed//

Colonel Lingus
    Adjutant

22. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

That explains a lot, 75% of Federal Government employees need to be fired, including military personal, and not replaced.

23. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Nope

24. samcraig macrumors P6

Sorry but I don't agree. I think it's a lot of mental gymnastics to think Trump voters aren't responsible.