An Open Letter to Tim Cook

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Bernard SG, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Open letter to Apple CEO:

Dear Tim,

Perhaps it's time for the world to see someone who is not a white dude in the top-executive team of Apple.

Best regards.

2. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Not only that, but someone who is not a dude. Yahoo snagged one, I'm sure Apple could get a token woman.

3. drakestan macrumors regular

If they have the credentials and are top of the top then I agree but, why settle just to appease? They should be going after the top of the top, not to appease a small margin of it's base.

4. 50548 Guest

You should be banned for such a racist comment alone. People should be hired for their merits and NOT the color of their skin (or gender for that matter).

Alas, the US mentality on race is so sick it's disgusting. Just like mulatto, half-white/half-black Obama being called the "the first black US president".

5. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

perhaps it is time for the world not to see these useless racist posts.

6. hanksmith macrumors newbie

I agree, that guy should be banned for making such ignorant and frivolous posts.

All I see is a hater who can't stand the white race being predominant in Apple's top brass.

7. andyjam macrumors regular

I think it's time for Apple to catch up with the rest of the world and bring in some women... Looking at that PR page is embarrassing.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: We decided to let this live in PRSI.

B

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This thread should be sent straight to Wasteland. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

10. Archer1440 macrumors 6502

Archer1440

When a woman comes along who is qualified for the job she will get the job. What's unclear about this?

11. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

12. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Open letter to Bernard SG:

Dear Bernard,

Perhaps it's time for MacRumors to get rid of some of the whiners.

Best regards.

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I'm quite sure there is a lot of diversity in the Apple higher-ups. Michael Tchao VP iPad Marketing is one.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Some euro countries (Norway?) have mandated gender diversity in boardrooms. I don't know if they've mandated ethnic diversity but I don't think either is a bad thing.

Cook obviously blew it with Browett, so he wasn't the best person for the job, now was he? Forstall's abrasiveness might have been ok under Jobs but I'll bet it wore thin with Jobs gone. My point is, is the best person for the job is not necessarily the one who was chosen.

Browett was a really bad choice by Cook and I hope he learns from it. Picking the best does not always mean picking the most qualified. Cook was chosen because of his bean counting abilities. He shouldn't be filling all other posts with like minded people. Apple retail would be best served by someone with a global perspective and a little bit of flair.

16. Lucky736 macrumors 6502a

Lucky736

Thank You. I didn't realize affirmative action was supposed to be imposed by American corporations as well.

If you qualify for the position it's one thing, if it's for any other reason.... sorry, work harder next time.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Thread reported. This serves no purpose but to inflame.

18. Bernard SG, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012

Bernard SG thread starter macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Yep that's definitely part of the idea, though I don't agree with "token".
    Talking about Yahoo!, long before Marissa Mayer was hired at its helm, I always thought she would be a great recruit for Apple, and not just because she was obstinately rocking an iPhone whilst Google was pushing harder and harder with its Android push.

19. krravi macrumors 65816

That's so selfish and arrogant. To be at the top based on just color and not your merits.

20. Bernard SG, Oct 29, 2012

Bernard SG thread starter macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Well, I didn't really start a thread. Mods just moved a post I made in the Apple management shake-up thread in the News forum, which I guess is fair enough because it could appear off-topic.
    Anyway, I'm quite astounded that many seem extremely offended by what I posted.
    The tech industry and Silicone Valley really have a poor reputation in terms of promoting women and minorities. Some even state that most companies in the industry qualify as 'hostile environments" for those categories of people. For example, while many women graduate in computer science, most of them eventually choose not to work in a tech company.
    As the industry leading company, it would really be nice to see Apple join Google, Yahoo!, Facebook, IBM or HP in having some people who are not a white male in high profile positions.
    The point is not about hiring or appointing a woman or non-white person for the sake of doing so, but this is really saying something in terms of not paying attention to that kind of issue (not one out of ten, really? This one shows a striking contrast, and I'm no Google lover). It's actually going against Apple's attitude that's otherwise usually more on the progressive side of things.

21. leekohler, Oct 29, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I might remind you that Tim Cook himself is a minority as a gay man. Or does that not count? Of all those groups, gay people have fewer legal rights than the others.

I seriously doubt Tim Cook is suppressing other minorities.

From your links I see a black guy, women and people of Middle Eastern descent. What is your issue exactly?

22. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Why? You're making out like Apple should bring in some woman just for the sake of it, which is dumb.

23. Bernard SG thread starter macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

I'm not saying that at all (that he is "suppressing" minorities). And, precisely, Tim Cook being gay (though he never came out officially as such) gives me some hope that he's more likely to pay attention to that kind of subject.

Gay people are taking a lot of **** from society indeed, but it is not my perception that workplace "glass ceiling" is as prevalent against gays as it is with women and minorities (now I might be dead wrong about this, and in that case I preemptively apologize).

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wait, so now gay people are not minorities? Are you serious? And yes, you're dead wrong.

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2011/10/harvard-study-shows-discrimination-against-gay-job-applicants/
    http://www.politifact.com/oregon/st...t-states-allow-employers-discriminate-agains/

I await your apology.

25. Bernard SG thread starter macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Well, I'm just pointing at the contrast between the two management teams. That's an area where Google has visibly made much more efforts that Apple. Now, that doesn't mean that I will personally ditch iOS and go Android but I give credit when credit is due.
    This is really the kind of matter where things won't change unless active steps are taken at the very top to make the change happen.