Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlindSoul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Israel
Hello,

I'm not living in the United States and my friend is going to be there for the next 3 weeks, It seems like there won't be any unlocked iPhones 5 at the Apple Stores till when he needs to come back. and I was wondering if there's any other way to get an unlocked iPhone 5 on the United States. such as special stories or if it's worth buying the iPhone 5 from Verzion and if it'll work here.

Thank you very much.

BlindSoul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Israel
Okay cool thanks,
Now is it possible to buy a Verzion iPhone 5 no commitment? If so how much does it cost?

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Just a friendly reminder, it appears that you are from Israel.

Israel LTE is using Band 5 and if you want to use the LTE feature, you HAVE to purchase the no commitment Verizon iPhone 5 (A1429 CDMA) or go to Europe and purchase the international A1429 GSM version. Either one of these model supports LTE band 1,3, and 5. With 5 being the one used in Israel.

The AT&T (A1428) version will NOT work with your LTE frequency because they only supports Band 4 and 17.

Source: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/
Source #2 for LTE Frequencies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-UTRA#Frequency_bands_and_channel_bandwidths

Of course if you do not care about using LTE and content of using HSPA+ speed then you can get any of the models.

No commitment iPhone 5 will be the following
16 GB - $649 + tax
32 GB - $749 + tax
64 GB - $849 + tax

Last edited:

korbui

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012

Israel LTE is using Band 5 and if you want to use the LTE feature, you HAVE to purchase the no commitment Verizon iPhone 5 (A1429 CDMA) or go to Europe and purchase the international A1429 GSM version. Either one of these model supports LTE band 1,3, and 5. With 5 being the one used in Israel.

The AT&T (A1428) version will NOT work with your LTE frequency because they only supports Band 4 and 17.

Source #2 for LTE Frequencies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-UTRA#Frequency_bands_and_channel_bandwidths

Of course if you do not care about using LTE and content of using HSPA+ speed then you can get any of the models.

16 GB - $649 + tax
32 GB - $749 + tax
64 GB - $849 + tax

What version should i get if i'm from Iceland? :)

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island

Hmm interesting. Europe LTE is kind of a "mess" right now because there are still nothing set in stone yet but as far as I know, the majority of Europe is using Band 1,3, and 7.

Personally, I am not sure what Iceland LTE carrier will use. Are they still in testing phase? As far as I know, they do not have any carrier that has LTE yet, correct?

But knowing Europe, they will probably use those 3 bands I listed above just like their European brethren. If that's the case, getting A1429 CDMA from Verizon in the US or A1429 GSM from anywhere in Europe/Asia probably makes the most sense. If Iceland ended up using Band 7 exclusively well then you're out of luck anyway since no iPhone 5 supports Band 7 (2.6 Ghz).

Basically, for any international user, it makes no sense to get the AT&T A1428 version because this model only has Band 4 and 17 which only works in Canada, USA, and Latin America (LTE wise)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

I'm guessing right now neither version will support the bands used. Most of Europe is using the 800MHz and 2.6GHz bands for LTE, which the current iPhones don't support. I think the Verizon model is compatible with the LTE bands used by Deutsche Telekom in Germany and EE in the UK.

phillypharm

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2012
Hmm interesting. Europe LTE is kind of a "mess" right now because there are still nothing set in stone yet but as far as I know, the majority of Europe is using Band 1,3, and 7.

Personally, I am not sure what Iceland LTE carrier will use. Are they still in testing phase? As far as I know, they do not have any carrier that has LTE yet, correct?

But knowing Europe, they will probably use those 3 bands I listed above just like their European brethren. If that's the case, getting A1429 CDMA from Verizon in the US or A1429 GSM from anywhere in Europe/Asia probably makes the most sense. If Iceland ended up using Band 7 exclusively well then you're out of luck anyway since no iPhone 5 supports Band 7 (2.6 Ghz).

Basically, for any international user, it makes no sense to get the AT&T A1428 version because this model only has Band 4 and 17 which only works in Canada, USA, and Latin America (LTE wise)

This isn't right. In regards to LTE coverage, please use the link here:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

LTE bands are not universal.

Any of these phones can be used on "3g" gsm networks worldwide, but LTE is up in the air. the verizon/sprint variant supports USA and Japan LTE. AT&T's supports USA and Canada LTE. and the other is for varous countries in asia and europe as the link indicates.

all verizon iphone 5's come unlocked as per the FCC mandate. you can buy full price from verizon on month to month. you would have to activate the phone, then cancel the service, but you get to keep the phone.

iMarvin

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
On the internet!

Whats the difference in hardware between Verizon and AT&T? My mom is going to New York in a couple of weeks and she will bring back an iPhone for me. Apparently the network i am on is currently using 2600Mhz frequency which the iphone 5 doesnt support, so it doesn't really matter does it?

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
This isn't right. In regards to LTE coverage, please use the link here:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

LTE bands are not universal.

Any of these phones can be used on "3g" gsm networks worldwide, but LTE is up in the air. the verizon/sprint variant supports USA and Japan LTE. AT&T's supports USA and Canada LTE. and the other is for varous countries in asia and europe as the link indicates.

all verizon iphone 5's come unlocked as per the FCC mandate. you can buy full price from verizon on month to month. you would have to activate the phone, then cancel the service, but you get to keep the phone.

Isn't that what I was saying? I made the point about the LTE frequencies being different and how someone in Europe is probably best to get A1429 CDMA (Verizon) or A1429 GSM from other part of Europe and Asia because the A1428 AT&T model only supports Band 4 and 17 which are only compatible in Canada, USA, and Latin America.

It is a given that all 3 models, A1428 AT&T, A1429 CDMA, and A1429 GSM International will work for all 3G network but buying it for 3G compatibility is foolish especially when many providers around the world are racing to get 4G LTE up and running fairly soon.

----------

Whats the difference in hardware between Verizon and AT&T? My mom is going to New York in a couple of weeks and she will bring back an iPhone for me. Apparently the network i am on is currently using 2600Mhz frequency which the iphone 5 doesnt support, so it doesn't really matter does it?

Aha yes your provider is using Band 7 (also called 2.6 Ghz) and unfortunately no iPhone 5 models support this band. However, since you are from Sweden, I would highly recommend getting the A1429 Verizon model from USA or A1429 GSM international model from other part of Europe or Asia because when you travel to any other part in Europe it's probably have more compatibility vs A1428 AT&T model which only supports Band 4 and 17 (only in Canada, USA, and Latin America)

----------

I'm guessing right now neither version will support the bands used. Most of Europe is using the 800MHz and 2.6GHz bands for LTE, which the current iPhones don't support. I think the Verizon model is compatible with the LTE bands used by Deutsche Telekom in Germany and EE in the UK.

You're right, some Europe are using Band 1 and 3 as well in addition to Band 7 (2.6) and 8 (800 Mhz).

From what I'm seeing here, the trend is that Europe will probably use 1,3,7, and 8 as their LTE spectrum.

US/Canada will be divided between 4 and 17 (AT&T + T-Mobile + Canada), 13 (Verizon), and 25 (Sprint). Canada will also have some Band 7, I know Bell Canada is expanding to that 2.6 Ghz spectrum as well.

Asia-Pacific will be fairly similar to Europe as far as frequencies goes (1,3,7... not so much 8 though)

Oh... The joy of insane wireless frequency is here!!!

Kyoko

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
South California

Hello, can I ask you a question?
Is it really necessary to activate the phone and cancel the service before using it freely? my understanding is that we can buy a month-to-month verizon iphone 5 at any verizon store and keep it on the spot (without any other procedure).

I am a Japanese who is travelling to the US in Oct, but I will not be able to stay there for long, so I need to make sure beforehand.

Thank you very much in advance!

iMarvin

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
On the internet!
Aha yes your provider is using Band 7 (also called 2.6 Ghz) and unfortunately no iPhone 5 models support this band. However, since you are from Sweden, I would highly recommend getting the A1429 Verizon model from USA or A1429 GSM international model from other part of Europe or Asia because when you travel to any other part in Europe it's probably have more compatibility vs A1428 AT&T model which only supports Band 4 and 17 (only in Canada, USA, and Latin America)

Okay, thank you. Appreciate it. :)

BlindSoul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Israel

16 GB - $649 + tax
32 GB - $749 + tax
64 GB - $849 + tax

Thank you very much for this great reply, I will just do my best to get a Verzion iPhone 5. Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.