Analysis of Canadian Tar Sands Oil

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TK2K, Nov 19, 2009.

1. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

"SIMON DYER, The Pembina Institute: The oil sands is the fastest growing source of greenhouse gas pollution in Canada. On a per-barrel basis, it takes about -- produces about three times as much greenhouse gas pollution extracting and upgrading a barrel of oil from the oil sands as conventional Canadian or North American production."

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/environment/july-dec09/oil_11-16.html

Is the environmental impact of tar sands mining worth it to not rely on middle eastern oil?

2. No1451 macrumors 6502

I want my money to be worth more so, yes. But really, no, and it's kind of a moot point as we really SHOULD be looking for other options for power/etc.

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

It's a numbers game. The mideast oilfields are in decline, approximately 4% per year in output. There are even some who believe the Saudis are lying about how much oil remains there. And we know that Mexico's Cantarell field will drop so low in output that sometime in 2012 the US will lose the one million bbl/day we have been importing from Mexico.

Offshore deepwater oil? Yeah, it's there. But Brazil's elephant will likely take fifteen years to reach full development. Same for the waters off western Africa.

Bottom line? We're using, what, 20 million bbl/day? World oil is presently in decline? If there's any economic recovery and world demand picks up, hang on to your butt and your billfold. We'll be lucky to avoid rationing, with top priority given to food producers and commercial haulers.

As a generality, strong anti-pollution efforts are affordable only by wealthy economies. We're no longer wealthy.

'Rat

4. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Don't forget to add the cost of freshwater reserves when adding up the impact of processing the oil sands.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Today it's not worth it. Five years from now.... who knows? Like 'Rat says, established fields are decreasing in output and the new enormous finds like Brazil's are years away from production.

I'd hate to be a duck in Alberta though, lots of oil slicks in the tar sand areas and as brad.c states, the loss of so much fresh water could prove to be devastating down the road.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

6. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

As a Canadian, I consider the tar sands a national embarrassment. Unfortunately money talks. :(

7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

adroit, you're aware of all those wheat fields in western Canada? Without diesel and gasoline, they won't be there--unless you want to go to farming with Ian Tyson's horses. :) Which is more important? A lack of embarassment, or food?

8. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Water.

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Interesting info.

It's curious that from what I've heard with regards to climate change scenarios - that Canada (along with Greenland) might actually be a beneficiary of a warmer planet - being wetter and warmer.

Ironic?

10. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I wouldn't say we rely on Middle Eastern oil if by we you mean the U.S. Pretty inaccurate considering the numbers. You want to single out a country, I would say the US relies on US production followed by Canada and Mexico above all. It may please you to learn that Saudi imports have fallen more than half over the last year. Could the tar pits replace Saudi Arabia? I don't know.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/...ons/company_level_imports/current/import.html

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ene_oil_con-energy-oil-consumption

http://www.indexmundi.com/united_states/oil_production.html

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Are you talking about fertiliser or tractors? There are solutions to both, GM crops for the former, and electric vehicles for the latter (or you don't worry about it).

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The tar sands aren't worth it. Giving the Middle East oil money won't stop, the environmental impact is atrocious and the problem is consumption, not lack of oil - at least for now.

13. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Excuse me?!? Food or oil? Reaching a bit aren't you? I mean I'm a bit flabbergasted by that argument especially since yours are usually fairly high quality.

There are far cleaner sources of oil out there and we aren't desperate enough to forgive what's happening in Canada's far a away spaces.

Even then, I certain that Canada's food production relys more on water than it does diesel.