Analyst: Apple may dump Google off iPhone for Microsoft’s Bing

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by *LTD*, Jan 17, 2010.

1. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_04/b4164028483414.htm

http://apple.slashdot.org/story/10/...ld-Drive-Apple-Into-Allegiance-With-Microsoft

Analyst: Apple may dump Google off iPhone for Microsoft’s Bing

"Some analysts believe the Apple-Google battle is likely to get much rougher in the months ahead," Peter Burrows reports for BusinessWeek. "Jonathan Yarmis, research fellow with the consulting firm Ovum, thinks Apple may soon decide to dump Google as the default search engine on its devices, primarily to cut Google off from mobile data that could be used to improve its advertising and Android technology. Jobs might cut a deal with—gasp!—Microsoft to make Bing Apple's engine of choice, or even launch its own search engine, says Yarmis. 'I fully expect [Apple] to do something in search,' he adds. 'If there's all these advertising dollars to be won, why would it want Google on its iPhones?'"

Burrows reports, "'This rivalry is going to accelerate innovation,' says Andreas Bechtolsheim, a co-founder of Sun Microsystems and an early investor in Google. 'Apple goes pretty fast, but having someone chasing you always makes you go faster. This is going to be good for consumers.'"

"Still, in a battle over the future of computing, friendship will almost surely be a casualty of progress," Burrows reports. "'You can just feel the tension rising,' says Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster. 'Until the Nexus One, the competition was at arm's length. But the iPhone is Apple's darling. Now it's personal.'"

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Uh. No.

Without Google, I'm not going to use an iPhone. Google's integration into the iPhone is becoming a very large reason why I even use an iPhone these days.

3. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

The "dumping Google" line is just a footnote in a otherwise well-researched article. The analyst's reasoning doesn't fly.

"primarily to cut Google off from mobile data that could be used to improve its advertising and Android technology"

What does this even mean? So, this "mobile data" would be better directed at Microsoft, who Apple knows won't do anything with? I don't buy it.

4. macfan881 macrumors 68020

I think MS has a better chance of fixing the RROD isssue on the 360 than the chance of this happening

5. *LTD* thread starter macrumors G4

*LTD*

Another perspective:

http://venturebeat.com/2010/01/15/apple-google-bing/

Would Apple dump Google for Bing?
    January 15, 2010 | Paul Boutin |

This week’s BusinessWeek cover story is about the increasingly competitive relationship between once-cozy Apple and Google. It contains a bold forecast by Jonathan Yarmis, a research fellow at consulting firm Ovum:

Yarmis thinks Apple may soon decide to dump Google as the default search engine on its devices, primarily to cut Google off from mobile data that could be used to improve its advertising and Android technology. [Apple CEO] Jobs might cut a deal with—gasp!—Microsoft to make Bing Apple’s engine of choice, or even launch its own search engine, Yarmis says. “I fully expect [Apple] to do something in search,” he adds. “If there’s all these advertising dollars to be won, why would it want Google on its iPhones?”

Well, Apple would want Google on its iPhones because it sells phones. Hands up, who wants a Google-less iPhone?

But there’s a nagging truth here: Search engines on mobile devices haven’t been figured out yet. Typing text into a little box is aggravating. Voice-powered search tools have a high goof rate.

Google, Yahoo and Microsoft have spent millions on R&D, but it feels like mobile search needs a breakthrough app — the sort of thing Apple loves to do.

Yarmis agrees. “[Google chief executive] Eric Schmidt has said that the search problem is 99% solved, but, boy, is that self-serving,” he told BusinessWeek. “The fact that I have to go to a search bar at all is a sign of failure.” Fix that, and you could sell a lot of phones.

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Apple should buy Cuil and improve that little search engine. Use it for their iPhone and Web 2.0 or 3.0 experience. I don't know what they're calling it these days.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Improve? More like "bring back from the dead."

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This... there is no way I am going to use Bing.

9. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I could see Apple dumping Yahoo off the iPhone for Bing, but the Google integration is not going anywhere.

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I agree with the general sentiments. Better shot of Apple developing all of those in house then going to bing.

11. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I can see Bing coming to the iPhone. Perhaps there'll be a better selection of search providers all-round. But dumping Google? Nah.