Analyst: Apple to Release Four iPhones in Fall 2020 With 5G Connectivity and OLED Displays

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008

Apple will release four new iPhone models during its fall update cycle, all of which will support 5G connectivity, according to JPMorgan analyst Samik Chatterjee (via CNBC).

Based on channel checks, Chatterjee believes Apple will release a 5.4-inch iPhone, two 6.1-inch iPhones, and one 6.7-inch iPhone.

Chatterjee's prediction is a bit of a deviation from current rumors, which have suggested we'll see a lineup similar to the 2019 lineup with 5.4 and 6.7-inch higher-end iPhones and a lower-cost 6.1-inch device.

Apple could, however, be planning to release two higher-end devices in 6.1 and 6.7-inch screen sizes, and two lower-end devices in 5.4 and 6.1-inch screen sizes as Chatterjee suggests, though it's not clear yet if this is the company's plan. Regardless of how many iPhones are released, the entire iPhone lineup is expected to use OLED displays and 5G technology.Two of the higher-end iPhones will be equipped with new rear camera technology with "world-facing" 3D sensing for improved augmented reality capabilities, while the others will use dual-lens setups similar to the iPhone 11.

There could also be a split between the type of 5G connectivity offered by each iPhone. The two higher-end iPhones could offer support for the fastest 5G technology, mmWave, while the two lower-end iPhones may be limited to the sub-6GHz spectrum, which is not as speedy but has a wider range.

mmWave 5G technology will likely be limited to major cities and dense urban areas because of its short range, while 5G networks in rural and suburban areas will use the slower sub-6GHz technology, such as the 600MHz network T-Mobile is rolling out.

Rumors have suggested Apple is going to use Qualcomm's X55 modems in all of its 2020 iPhones, and while those modems do support both mmWave and sub-6GHz spectrum, an additional mmWave antenna is needed for mmWave support.

To make the lower-end iPhones more affordable, Apple could potentially limit the mmWave antenna to higher-end models, though prior rumors have suggested Apple's aim with its 2020 iPhones is to match the technology in more affordable 5G Android smartphones, which do support mmWave.

Starting in 2021, Chatterjee believes Apple will make some significant changes to its iPhone release cycles. "Based on our supply chain checks, we are expecting a strategic change in the launch cadence with the release of two new iPhone models in 1H21 followed by another two in 2H21, which will serve to smooth seasonality around the launch," he wrote.

Releasing two iPhones during the first half of 2021 and two iPhones during the second half of 2021 could allow Apple to better compete with rival smartphone companies that introduce new devices throughout the year and limit "product cycle missteps" by allowing for designs to be altered more quickly in response to market feedback.

Apple has been launching new iPhones in the fall since 2011, and the note from Chatterjee provides little additional information on the potential split if Apple does pursue a new launch timeline.

Apple could release lower-end devices earlier in the year and then save its higher-end launches for the fall, but Chatterjee's current prediction would see Apple releasing four iPhones in September 2020 and then two additional iPhones in the first half of 2021, for a total of six iPhones within six months, which seems like a bit of a stretch.

Article Link: Analyst: Apple to Release Four iPhones in Fall 2020 With 5G Connectivity and OLED Displays
This makes much more sense compared to making the base premium (pro) smaller.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Was really hoping for a 5.4" 12 Pro. Definitely not wanting anything bigger than the 5.8" on my iPhone X. Having lived without my Mac for a week and only iPhone, I instantly came to the conclusion that no matter how big an iPhone screen was, it was no substitute for a MacBook so for me, a bigger screen on an iPhone is useless.

GuruZac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2015
The 2020 iPhones will be quite enticing but I’m really happy with my 11 Pro. Haven’t bought a new flagship iPhone since the 7 Plus three years ago, and expensive as these things are and iterative as phones have gotten, I figure I’ll keep this at least 2 years.

Reactions: m0sher and smulji

Anthony T

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
This is dumb, if true.

I want a 5.4” phone but with the same features as the larger “Pro” model.

Why not have 3 “pro” models in 5.4”, 6.1”, and 6.7” and then offer another 6.1” as a “non-pro” option for people who still want OLED and a big screen without the bells and whistles of the other 3 models?

I hate it when they strip the smaller models of certain features.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
One in May and then one in September/October time, will help keep publicity all year round in terms of the iPhone market.
Or.. if not May, likely during WWDC in June, being that event is usually the first week of June. But otherwise, I’m thinking March/April. But either way, you’re right, publicity is what Apple wants year round, and keep the limelight on their most popular product, the iPhone.

But yet again, Apple is pretty unpredictable how they do things, similar to how we saw MacBooks launch in July of last year.

Reactions: Metrosey

tunastink

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2019
I hope the 5.4" model pleases the SE lovers. But probably not, it's too chunky and too big, am i right?
SE lover here. Yes, I suspect 5.4” will still be too big. But it’s a significant step in the right direction, and I would buy a high-end iPhone of this size on launch day. Then I’d use it until they release something even smaller. ... Improbable but I can dream right?

This is dumb, if true.

I want a 5.4” phone but with the same features as the larger “Pro” model.

Why not have 3 “pro” models in 5.4”, 6.1”, and 6.7” and then offer another 6.1” as a “non-pro” option for people who still want OLED and a big screen without the bells and whistles of the other 3 models?

I hate it when they strip the smaller models of certain features.
I’m with you, absolutely. Unfortunately I think there’s a logical position to making the smaller phone lower-end. Look at the SE advocates on this forum. Half would agree with you and me, we want the top-of-the-line phone in a much smaller package. The other half end up saying something along the lines of “give me something small and don’t charge so much — I don’t do that much on my phone anyway.” That is a request for a cheaper, lower specced phone.

If SE lovers are a minority, and half that group just wants something cheap, it doesn’t bode well for our chances of actually seeing the sizes on high end phones come down. The small-package-high-end phone market may just be too small. Hopefully I’m wrong.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2014
SE lover here. Yes, I suspect 5.4” will still be too big. But it’s a significant step in the right direction, and I would buy a high-end iPhone of this size on launch day. Then I’d use it until they release something even smaller. ... Improbable but I can dream right?

I’m with you, absolutely. Unfortunately I think there’s a logical position to making the smaller phone lower-end. Look at the SE advocates on this forum. Half would agree with you and me, we want the top-of-the-line phone in a much smaller package. The other half end up saying something along the lines of “give me something small and don’t charge so much — I don’t do that much on my phone anyway.” That is a request for a cheaper, lower specced phone.

If SE lovers are a minority, and half that group just wants something cheap, it doesn’t bode well for our chances of actually seeing the sizes on high end phones come down. The small-package-high-end phone market may just be too small. Hopefully I’m wrong.
Exactly what i thought, but i get your point. I do not really see the market for such a small phone either, but we'll see. A 5.4" iPhone next to a 6.1" iPhone (besides 2 Pro models) is a good step atleast.

Last edited:
Reactions: tunastink

newyorksole

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Flat edges were needed to attach the Pencil to the iPad Pro. I don't see the same thing happening with iPhone 5G. Rounded edges make a device feel thinner.
I mean, Ming-Chi Kuo and other analysts have been saying it’ll take cues from iPhone 4 for some time now. The design will probably be finalized by like January or February, if it isn’t already.

Rounded edges are nice, but I could definitely see a reimagined / nicer to hold iPhone 4 inspired iPhone coming in 2020. We’ll see.

Reactions: Elitegate

smulji

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2011

"Unfortunately I think there’s a logical position to making the smaller phone lower-end"

The logical reason would be that a 5.4" would be too small to pack all the technology of the Pro series and a big enough battery to ensure a decent battery life.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
This would be in line with Samsung, 1+, LG, Huwaei, and others.

Makes sense to me! Apple is hitting on all cylinders right about now. I wonder if they'll continue to update the regular Air Pods with enhanced technology. I can't do the oblong case and rubber tips.

MF878

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2020-iphone-lineup.2197923/

Just gonna shamelessly plug my thread from September where I proposed this four model lineup and outlined the reasoning.

TL;DR: Kuo and others were equating the 6.1” OLED to the current 6.1” LCD, not recognising that 6.1” and 6.7” are the Pros creeping up in size, with the 5.4” OLED being the new entry model. Adding another 6.1” in the “regular“ model plugs the large price gap between standard and Pro, and now you have a small, medium, large lineup with the (most popular) medium option available in both lines. It’s like having MacBook 12”/13” and MacBook Pro 13”/15”, two lines with two sizes each that overlap at the most popular size

GuruZac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2015
Yes, we should all be forced to use the same size iPhone because you don’t like making decisions, sounds great. Let’s have one 9.7” iPad, one 13“ MacBook, one 21.5” iMac and screw anyone else who wants different sizes or specs.
Exactly. Having choices is a great thing. Pick the size, pick the storage, pick your carrier, pick how you want to pay. Done.

Scottsdale

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I may be wrong here, but I assume the current 5.8” iPhone Pro body will fit a 6.1” display of eliminating the bezels all the way, approximately the same size anyways. I also think the 6.5” iPhone Pro Max 11 XDR retina Display Model will fit a 6.7/6.8” display in the same approximate body size.

And let’s remember the 5.4” could easily be an iPhone 4 sized phone with no bezels to make it small and sleek yet with a nice size display.

The biggest thing is to either put the damn sensors under the display or use a pop up mechanical camera. In 2020, for these iPhone prices and sizes, we really need to eliminate the notch. Hell, I would pay to use software to eliminate the notch on iPhone 11 and XS max models I own.

No notch is an absolute must. Anyone who says they like the notch and etc isn’t focused on reality of tech in 2019. The notch should not be here. It’s gone via many better methods. I would take bezel over notch. It’s disappointingly ugly and inferior to so many other phones on the market with beautiful full screen displays.

I don’t care whether it has three or seven cameras on the back. I don’t care if there are bumps and ugly design choices on the back. The front of my iPhone is what I look at and want to enjoy a notch-free design.

Reactions: BoycottCookApple

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
...No notch is an absolute must. Anyone who says they like the notch and etc isn’t focused on reality of tech in 2019. The notch should not be here. It’s gone via many better methods. I would take bezel over notch. It’s disappointingly ugly and inferior to so many other phones on the market with beautiful full screen displays.

I don’t care whether it has three or seven cameras on the back. I don’t care if there are bumps and ugly design choices on the back. The front of my iPhone is what I look at and want to enjoy a notch-free design.
Which better method is there instead of a notch. Pop up flash? Moveable bezels? Big chin or forehead? Translucent screen that I’m not even sure has proven itself? Hole in the screen that doesn’t have the electronics of Face ID? While I’m sure Apple is working to reduce the notch the electronics may not fit anywhere else until some other tech comes along. Only time will tell.

Scottsdale

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Which better method is there instead of a notch. Pop up flash? Moveable bezels? Big chin or forehead? Translucent screen that I’m not even sure has proven itself? Hole in the screen that doesn’t have the electronics of Face ID? While I’m sure Apple is working to reduce the notch the electronics may not fit anywhere else until some other tech comes along. Only time will tell.
No notch. It doesn’t matter. There are other manufacturers who do such a better job implementing either no notch or a hole punch, and using under screen which is a no brainer or pop up style camera. I don’t really care for FaceID because it has ruined the screen. In reality, FaceID is fine but they need to put the tech in the top bezel area and the speaker there too just as other companies have done. TouchID anywhere under screen gets rid of most of the problem. Number one for me is fix the software. Number two is give me a beautiful uninterrupted display to view the content.

Reactions: BoycottCookApple