Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

PhilN

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2009
Northeastern PA
Hybrid drives are silly. Either shell out and get the speed and reliability of the SSD or save your money by buying a normal platter-based drive.

Why are they silly? if you have a MBP as your computer, want to keep the optical drive and need space, they are a reasonable option.

Spending a grand on a 512 GB SSD could be considered silly by some, but not the guy or gal who carries a grand in their pocket at any given time.

Everything has it's purpose and it's consumers. It's relevant to the buyer...

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Hybrid drives are silly. Either shell out and get the speed and reliability of the SSD or save your money by buying a normal platter-based drive.

In your opinion. I have a 500 model and it works wonders. A good stop gap when one could use a little more than a standard drive offers.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*

I couldn't justify spending an absolute fortune shelling out on a 512Gb SSD never mind what the 768Gb models will end up costing! I've just upgraded my 500Gb Momentus XT in my MBP 2010 because I was approaching 90% full for the XT 2 750Gb and it seems noticeably faster. For a single drive upgrade when you need large capacity and speed it's the best way to go for me.

One warning though - some users have found HFS+ problems with the XT2 on Lion 10.7.2 but I'm not one of them!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.