And another cop walks away a free man

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Meister, May 24, 2015.

1. Meister Suspended

Meister

According to the logic of this verdict, if you get 10 people and shoot a policecar 200 times from 10 different angles you should be found "not guilty" ...

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Wouldn't they normally all be found guilty of murder?

3. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Another US policeman kills, an unarmed human being, there is a definite patten.:(

What always worries me is, America sees it's self as the WORLDS policeman.:eek:

4. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

That's what you'd think but if you read the story you'll read that those cops got away with that.

5. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Yes, it does seem outrageous and as much as I would like to see this guy go to prison, I have to agree with the not guilty verdict.

What undermines both of the charges in this case is the fact that the police did have the right to use lethal force since the suspects were using their vehicle as a lethal weapon by ramming the police vehicles. Had that not been the case, the charges would have been upheld against this officer and applicable to the other officers engaged in the shooting as well.

Manslaughter is not an appropriate charge for an excessive use of force when a lethal use of force is justified but I do agree that this officer should at least be fired.

6. malman89 macrumors 68000

Just going off the story you linked and assuming the judge's legal reasoning is accurate, I don't see how you can disagree with the verdict, as despicable as it seems.

If there were 100 shots fired at the car, how can you place blame solely on one person who fired a fraction of those shots?

This case doesn't sound anything like Michael Brown/Ferguson, Eric Garner/NY, or Freddie Gray/Baltimore. Not even apples and oranges. Apples and avocados maybe. There's a very general underlying tie - potentially excessive police response - but the situations are far from similar.

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

You are making a logical leap that doesn't quite add up.

In many respects the problem with US domestic law enforcement - and I'll concede there is one - is that in certain respects America's police forces are too professional. In that they become so focused on their purely law-enforcement role -, the potential risks posed by suspects to officers and society in general - that they lose some of the basic humanity that would have prevented an incident like this.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The description of this event sounds like sharks in a feeding frenzy. Resistance is now a condoned capital crime. This country is seriously ****ed up.

The U.S. is experiencing a transformation from holding police accountable for wrong doing, to exempting militarized police from wrong doing. If you resist police, don't be surprised if they try, convict, and execute you on the spot, including offenses much less than murder. The worst aspect of this is we have three classes of citizens now, the citizen, licensed CC gun owners, and the enforcers. If you are the former and commit a crime, expect the legal system to try its hardest to put you away. If you are an enforcer, or a licensed concealed carry gun owner rest assured they will bend over backwards to allow you to walk away from murder, I guess cause it's automatically assumed your intentions were good. :confused:

9. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I think if 10 people shot up a police car it would be fair enough to assume premedication. When 10 police officers do the same I don't think it is since police officers are inherently coordinated.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Using your car as a deadly weapon towards police is the same as firing a bullet at them.

11. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Yes, up until the point the car had been effectively neutralized but jumping on the hood after the fact and unloading your weapon and reloading is an act of revenge. Unfortunately, there is no way to definitely prove that the suspects would still be alive today if it hadn't been for the actions of that one cop.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

There were reports of gunfire/gun being pointed out the window, the officer had no reason to believe the threat was neutralized, someone willing to run over/ram cops with a 2500 lb car is more than likely willing to fire a few rounds after they are forcibly stopped.

13. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Except it hadn't been neutralised. The judges verdict clearly says that.

14. SusanK macrumors 68000

15. unlinked, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 24, 2015

unlinked macrumors 6502a

The car backfired but no shots were fired until it was driven at a police officer. I think that is more of an indication as to why they died than being black.

16. SusanK macrumors 68000

I think that may be inaccurate.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    The whole thing is a textbook example of excessive force, but because it was shown that more than one person was involved in the killing, one guy gets fired, another couple disciplined, and...nothing more.

18. SusanK, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 24, 2015

SusanK macrumors 68000

That's about it. The Malibu was passing the Justice Center when it backfired. A police officer called out "shots fired" and the chase ensued.

This incident led to the DOJ investigation of the police department. A reference to this police chase is on page 8 of the DOJ report.

http://www.justice.gov/sites/defaul...veland_division_of_police_findings_letter.pdf

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

A group of civilians would be at the least be found guilty of manslaughter

So what happened to ballistics & checking who fired the fatal shots?

20. unlinked macrumors 6502a

That is certainly possible. I don't think shooting was referenced in the judges verdict until that point. Free free to provide a reference that does.

21. vrDrew macrumors 65816

One thing I've noticed in this country: There are guys (and they usually are men) who really love a crisis. And if actual crises don't come along often enough - they'll wilfully ignore facts in order to make them come to life.

We have a volunteer fire department in my town. And we very rarely have any actual fires. But if there should be a small blaze: a yard fire gets a little out of control; a microwave malfunctions; a barbecue sets a garage door smoldering - and pretty much every member of that 40-man team shows up. Often with turnout coats slung over Bermuda shorts and Aloha shirts.

We've all seen police responses to minor incidents that are completely out of proportion. Fifteen or twenty officers, and a dozen squad cars to handle a drunk driving arrest.

Put twenty armed cops around a Catholic Priest accused of littering,and odds are pretty good that one of those guys is going to interpret an odd gesture or confused answer - and turn it into a bloodbath.

And thats what happened here: a car backfire was turned into a drive-by shooting. Two intoxicated idiots on a joy ride was turned into Bonnie & Clyde's last stand.

Its a case of excessive enthusiasm; combined with watching too many "worst case" training videos - unleashed upon a citizenry that has no idea what they have wrought.

22. SusanK macrumors 68000

23. unlinked macrumors 6502a

24. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

When sixty-two cop cars are chasing you, you pull over. If these two had complied with the first cop, they would still be alive.

It's as simple as that.

25. unlinked macrumors 6502a

It is certainly true that if they hadn't sped away from the initial traffic stop everything would have ended better for everyone.