And another one bites the dust.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tunerX, Apr 1, 2016.

1. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

A company on the edge, employing a hundred plus workers. Lets cram a law into the NY books to raise the minimum wage.

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/157-Jobs-Lost-As-Climax-Plant-Closes-374303011.html

If the business environment and economy was great, my closest city would have a non-city vendor at the Watertown Ice Arena, and business' would not be leaving the county.

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/City-To-Run-Watertown-Arena-Concessions-374238931.html

The city thought the venue was so good they set a minimum of 900 plus dollars to run the concession. They approached eight providers and none of them wanted to bid. They then went to open bid and the highest bid was 400 dollars a month for dues. They turned it down and now the concession will be staffed by city workers (tax dollars).

2. steve knight, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016

steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Let's not forget don't raise the min wage and just increase welfare.

3. tunerX, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2016

tunerX thread starter Suspended

tunerX

Your post makes no sense.

4. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Its Watertown its not a booming metropolis. It a small town with a couple cottage industries a pretty downtown and an auto parts store. If 10th Mountain want there the town would be gone like most of its kind everywhere

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

The same Watertown?

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/...-precedent-in-current-privacy-debate-20160221
    --- Post Merged, Apr 2, 2016 ---
    So with no minimum wage and everybody working for $1/hr, how do you think companies - even the big ones that robbed, raped, and murdered the competition ("corporate personhood" makes those terms relevant, sorry) - survive? More taxpayer-funded corporate welfare, even though taxes collected from the working class won't begin to pay for their gravy anymore?!

Doesn't help that corporate welfare to companies gutting or leaving this country has been going on for decades, with the last decade showing a new level of depth in wasteful spending in our free market society:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/25/government-subsidies-corporations_n_1912835.html
    http://www.cato.org/publications/po...w-federal-government-subsidizes-us-businesses
    http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Corporate_Welfare/WalMart_Welfare.html
    (they pay so little that workers have to go on welfare, but the company takes in so much from corporate welfare... yet only the working class is the group of leeches to be freely scapegoated? Wow, just wow... our country has devolved, big time...)

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Minimum wage is too high if it does more than letting people live. But that isn't the case in the real world.

7. tunerX thread starter Suspended

tunerX

Really that's all it is. How very Google savvy and uninformed of you.

The bigger employers either have left the area or are talking about leaving. Kraft food is talking about leaving. Alcoa is talking about leaving. New York air brake is talking about it. So basically a bunch of manufacturing jobs.

8. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

The concept of working an entry level position, then earning and progressing involves an amount of thinking, commitment and effort that both terrifies and intimidates liberals.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think you'll find most people who live in big cities and vote for liberals actually work pretty hard.

10. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I think you're right... yet it's mind boggling that they believe in dreadful souls like the Clinton's.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And Trump and Cruz aren't dreadful as well?

12. tunerX thread starter Suspended

tunerX

So if there were no minimum wage everyone would be working for a dollar an hour? Hyperbole in the first sentence. You should have said a wooden nickel an hour.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No, everyone would be on disability.

14. tunerX thread starter Suspended

tunerX

Everyone would be dead except for the fat cat monocle wearing corporate rapists who twist their mustaches and drink the blood of small children.

15. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

No I lived there.

16. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

As a liberal who has worked myself up from entry level positions into management roles multiple times in my life I can say with a high degree of confidence that your comment was an absolutely dumb and untrue thing to say. And a comment which completely ignores the reality of the situation out there these days. You want to see commitment and effort? Let's talk about all those horrible liberals that work two jobs to keep a roof over their head. Let's talk about my husband who had to start one job at 8am, got off at 5pm started his next job at 6pm and worked that until 2am, then came home to get a few hours of sleep before being back at the first job again.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    CIRCUMSTANTIAL EVIDENCE! I CALL SHENANIGANS!

18. tunerX thread starter Suspended

tunerX

So you lived here and are not very knowledgable of the area.

19. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I lived there and there isn't and industry to speak of. If Watertown rolls up their streets it'll be 40 years late but it won't people like you will just cry and move on with life.

20. tunerX thread starter Suspended

tunerX

Again you still don't know anything about the area. Yep there is no industry... that automatically means it has one auto parts shop and nothing but cottage business.

21. MacNut, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2016

MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Im going to ask you to explain how it makes no sense. Unless you meant makes no cents.

22. tunerX thread starter Suspended

tunerX

It makes no sense for my topic. A small city is bleeding jobs and increasing the minimum wage (15/hour) here is going to cause more employers to leave. There will be a net gain of welfare and unemployment benefits recipients. The budget is done and it looks like NYC is 15 and the rest of NNY will be 12.50. Lets see if that attracts new businesses to open in the area.

A higher minimum may make sense if it were NYC where a higher minimum shouldn't cause a loss of jobs or the loss will be insignificant.

If you want to get mad. Kraft, Alcoa, and NY Airbrake are getting big fat tax subsidies from Andy so they don't leave. I think Andy gave Kraft 50 million in tax benefits.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The way this country is going the net gain of welfare will go up regardless. So make $8 an hour you are on welfare make $15 you have a good chance at not being on it, Plus you have happier employees willing to work for said company.

24. tunerX thread starter Suspended

tunerX

Or you have small businesses unable to shoulder the cost of the high NY taxes and high lease costs, coupled with the increase in wages. Jobs are gone and a person's wage goes from an unrealized 15.00 an hour to zero an hour. Minimum wage in NY is 9 per hour.

25. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

wonder how they survived 30 or 40 years ago? hmm stage they managed. but thats protect business and keep workers poor it won't effect business when customers don't have any money no not at all. overall everyone will benefit because more money is being spent. thats the only way to grow the economy. if workers are poor business overall will be poor.