... And Beer For All: Budweiser Makes a Metallica Beer in Canada

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bradl, Sep 16, 2015.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Thought this was... interesting. Though I'm not a beer drinker (nor much of a drinker), if it didn't state that it was a basic Budweiser, and something more crafted, I'd be interested in picking it up. But since it isn't, just read and enjoy.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ll-budweiser-makes-a-metallica-beer-in-canada

[​IMG]

BL.

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Odd, given that all the members have been on the wagon for many years. Sort of like a Keith Richards line of designer syringes.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Thread reported. Beer and Budweiser in the same sentence??

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, in the interests of fairness, I have to point out that this dissonance is a lot less pronounced when referring to the ancestor of this product, which was the original (Czech produced) beer, 'Budvar'…

However, 'Budweiser' are not the only company which makes special brews for the Canadian market. The excellent Scottish brewing company, Innis & Gunn, does so, as well.

5. sim667 macrumors 65816

Agreed..... Budweiser is probably the second worst beer on the worldwide market........

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agreed. It is awful and an insult to the noun which goes by the name of 'beer' (unlike its venerable ancestor from the Czech lands).

And, a matter of idle curiosity, and no small interest, what, in your opinion occupies the hallowed spot where the Very Worst Beer In The World Can Be Found?

7. sim667 macrumors 65816

I don't know where it comes from, but it's Coors Light.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, I have heard of this horror. An offence to the very idea of what beer is.

9. sim667 macrumors 65816

Is it canadian?

I used to think the US had terrible beer, but last time I went it seems "craft beer" was taking off in a big way, particularly in NY and some of it was really nice.

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

This made me laugh... "I have heard of this horror" hahahahaha...

I can say I would rather drink a Coors light, than anything from bud, anything!

11. sim667 macrumors 65816

Have you tried the czech budweiser budvar? Its nice, but czech beer does tend to be quite a good standard.

Staropramen is another favourite czech beer of mine

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, the Czech beer Budvar is excellent and reliable (and nothing like its ghastly American descendant); in general, Czech beer is very good - the original Pils was a Czech invention. Agree, too, re Staropramen.

13. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I have not, didn't even know there was such a thing. I have a few czech beers, but this one I have not! Is it brewed by budweiser or a czech brewery using the budweiser name?

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

It is brewed by a Czech brewery that predates Budweiser.

15. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

That is what I kinda figured, but wanted to get clarification.

16. sim667 macrumors 65816

There's some very good beers from Eastern Europe generally. Also Belgian beer is famous all over Europe.

I personally tend to drink more milds now, but I do like a nice lager. Amstel is what I usually have at the pub, or San Miguel if there's no milds available.

17. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

No American, but yes there are more craft breweries in the US and Canada as well - I've discovered new ones every time I visit.