And Down Goes Paul

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Feb 3, 2016.

1. rdowns, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If you had asked me a year ago who I feared most from the Republican side to defeat the Democrats, I'd have chosen Rand, because I would have thought the libertarian message could have sold well to centrists as well as the Republican base. I certainly didn't see him going down so quickly.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

sucks, he was the only one who was worth a crap.

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

He's always been treated as the red headed step child in the GOP along with his dad.

6. samiwas macrumors 65816

Precisely why he didn't do well. It's beginning to appear that this election, at least on one side, is not about who will do well or who will make a great Presidential leader, but who can make the most bat**** crazy inflammatory statements in one day.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Somehow I imagined the Tea Party movement would adopt him. Wrong!

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Well, yea, libertarian. What happened? I think the Tea Party has transformed from it's original mandate. Them and the Country Club Republicans have been busy polluting each other's gene pool.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

personally I don't think the GOP wants to be at the top
    [​IMG]

the one thing the industrial military complex learned is that they can get away with indefinite detention w/o trial, never ending spying & limitless money for war. hell they can bomb sovereign countries under the pretense of humanitarian reasons & the liberals would gobble it up. Cindy Sheenan and code pink stopped getting news coverage pretty much as soon as the war monger in chief was elected. if a republican gets to be POTUS again liberals MIGHT start growing back their back bones...........
    --- Post Merged, Feb 3, 2016 ---
    TEA party was great in the beggining, we even had democrats in there
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the GOP saw fit to hijack the TEA party, and sadly they succeeded

[​IMG]

10. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Most of these Tea Party GOP insurrectionists have been absorbed into the establishment at this point. Couple of hold outs here and there, but the establishment has ultimately prevailed.

Example: Does anyone think Ted Cruz is not in the GOP country club at this point?

I think this is a big reason why Trump (and Bernie) took off. People want an alternative

11. thewap, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016

thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Because the message of peace / anti war, justice and civil rights is not acceptable in both parties, nor is an outsider who posed the only threat to the bi-partisan party of the 1% and the MSM who obviously gave almost no air time to his campaign even though he beat out most of the rinos.

Not looking forward to the fear mongering message and war policies of the republicans and democrats.

Trump is the 1% war monger tool, while Bernie is promising the same things as Obama did, but with even more *free* stuff - *yes we can, old white man!..scam*.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Liberals only care if republicans are beating the war drums, it's ok for other democrats to kill as they see fit.

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

This is fundamentally untrue. There are wide swaths of liberalism that is against the Obama administration's drone strikes and remains highly critical of interventions in Yemen and Libya.

The Noble prize committee screwed up by awarding the president a prize, which was clear the minute he gave his acceptance speech and argued for the use of force.

However, the failure of the Bush administration to prosecute the wars means that the White House, and liberals, can't be attacked for enduring the consequences of those wars seven years later.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

if the liberals really cared the war monger would have NOT seen a second term.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Even if it's a bad alternative (at least for The Donald), yes I agree. The problem with Sanders is that much of his agenda based on the Congress he would have to work with is a bit of pie in the sky. He would need a very strong grass roots revolution to pull it off, which I don't see happening. Although I can't say I disagree with him, I think Hillary has a more grounded, realistic approach, even if she does like scamming bankers out of their money, but that's just me. ;)

Did you mean to say this? If so, how did you draw this conclusion? Democrats don't hold a candle to Republicans when it comes to war mongering and completely out perform them when it comes to justice and civil rights.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

lmfao.

Obama has bombed most of the middle east AND signed indefinite detention w/o trial into law.

17. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Did you mean to say this? If so, how did you draw this conclusion? Democrats don't hold a candle to Republicans when it comes to war mongering and completely out perform them when it comes to justice and civil rights.[/QUOTE]

7 years of democrats in the oval office = more wars , more patriot act, and now the push for the golden ring that is Iran and Russia. Call me a skeptic.. :)

18. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Like Romney would have been any better on that front, and no smart person is going to take on a sitting president in a primary, especially if their base is only unhappy with him over one issue.

19. FieldingMellish Suspended

I couldn't stand his goldilocks haircut, appearing all geri-curled and whatnot. It prevented me from focusing on what he was saying. Especially when he was hammering another candidate while bobbing his head.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

war/ patriot act extension & indefinite detention w/o trial signed before 2012
    https://www.aclu.org/news/president-obama-signs-indefinite-detention-bill-law
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Act

like I said, Liberals seemingly only have issues with republicans war mongering & crapping on the constitution.

21. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Plenty of liberals have problems with what Obama is doing in those areas, but where was Romney promising to reverse those laws? And he would have been much worse on other important areas like health care.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

er, Obamacare was modeled after romneycare.

23. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

But Romney had changed his mind about it by 2012 and was against it. Do you honestly think he would have changed back and vetoed it when the Republican congress sent a bill to his desk about repealing the ACA?

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I think he might have lead us down the path of single payer............. something Hillary says will not happen.
    http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/05/26/168483/romney-single-payer/