...and Fedex Delivers my new MBP to Joe Blow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MUBiomed, Feb 28, 2011.

1. MUBiomed macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

I had a delivery of today according to fedex's tracking website. I was out all morning but came back to my apt around 1 planning on seeing a "we missed you" sticker on my door. None was there...I happily thought Mr. Fedex was coming later in the day and I hadn't missed him. I check on my tracking status when I get inside and to my surprise DELIVERED appears...to someone who signed R. Mills (i.e. not my name). I go back outside and look to make sure nothing is there...I immediately call Fedex who says that the address it was delivered to is on the other side of town where Mr. Mills is and they don't know why. Anyway they are supposedly contacting the driver to go find it.

I am a little concerned that someone may have opened the box and you can guarantee that if the MBP box is open I will refuse the delivery even if they DO find it now. How exactly does Fedex handle this though? If someone did open it and pop out my baby can I refuse shipment and they will simply return it to Apple? Would Apple even know why they are receiving it back or who it came from? I realize it may be premature to ask these questions since they may find it unharmed/unopened, BUT if Fedex guy shows up and it IS opened I want to know how to handle it since I will need to do something right then if I am going to say no. Any experience out there?

2. rebby macrumors 6502

Call Apple and ask them what they recommend. Let them know that, if opened, you have no intention of accepting delivery. You're likely to get a far better answer from them than you are from anybody on the interweb...

3. altecXP macrumors 65816

Well as long as the white box isn't opened and even if it was, as long as your Mac is still in the plastic who cares?

If the mac was fully unwrapped then I would complain.

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

+1 Apple will either tell you to refuse delivery or email you a prepaid return receipt to send it back.

Do not let them tell you to wait until return is received to mail a new one to you. You might have to give them your cc again as good faith that the return is going back, but I would have them process a new order today and throw in overnight shipping for free, etc.

5. slumpey326 macrumors 6502

this is crazy, I cant believe fedex screwed this up...

6. Tabris82 macrumors member

Tabris82

You sir, are giving my fears a real world example...
    I wish apple gave an option to pick up yourself.

7. mobi macrumors 6502

mobi

Please let us know how this was handled / resolved for our future reference. Hope your situation turns out to be a positive one!

8. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

it would be nice if you can pick up your BTO order at your local Apple store. That would only work for those with a store nearby however. Being in NYC I have a ton I can choose from between NY, LI, SI and NJ

9. slumpey326 macrumors 6502

you can pick up a BTO order at a store? can you order it from the store or does it have to be online.

10. benpatient macrumors 68000

"IT WOULD BE NICE..."

reading is good for you.

11. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

well fedex has the option of holding the package at their facility.. I did this on my last apple purchase so my ipad didn't sit outside all day in the middle of the winter... pretty simple to do from the tracking page

12. MUBiomed thread starter macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

I should probably do this and see what they have to say. I assumed they would not really care since they already have my money and now maybe Fedex would have to reimburse me if it doesn't show up?

I think if the seal on the white MBP box is cut then I will not take it regardless of whether the MBP is unwrapped or not. A person may cut the outer cardboard box and once they see the MBP box inside stop and ask who it is addressed to, but if you are already inside the MBP box I have to ask WTF are you doing since you know it isn't yours at that point.

Yeah I will update the thread if I find something out. The funny part of the whole ordeal so far was when the Fedex national rep asked me what the package contained and its value. I told her it was a brand new MBP and it cost ~2300. She did the whole, "Oh my god we will definitely find that for you sir" routine. :p

13. stev3n macrumors 6502

I think the Fifth Ave Store in NYC would be the best store for BTO pickups since it's open 24 Hours. Unfortunately, this would only benefit local customers.

14. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

Wtf they have a 24 hour Apple Store?

Drool.

15. Reminisquare macrumors newbie

check

I don't know about this, but check your rental office if you live in an apt ?

in my knowledge, it is felony offense to open other people's mail

16. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Really? You can't believe FEDEX screwed up a delivery and gave it to the wrong person? I sure can. :)

At any rate OP you're covered. FEDEX is at fault for not collecting the right authorized signature.

If the driver is simply going back to retrieve an already delivered package, I would consider refusing delivery even if it does look unopened. Once they get the correct authorized signature, they are off the hook and you're on it.

17. MUBiomed thread starter macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

My only concern is that if Apple receives the package without an RMA will it hinder me getting a refund because they have no idea who it came from and why?

On hold with Apple now...

18. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Wow, this blows my morning Joe out of the water.

Give FedEx a call

19. brentsg macrumors 68040

It's not mail, it's a Fedex delivery.

20. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Apple ships by FedEx. IIRC, FedEx is not, technically, "mail." "Mail" is what the Post Office delivers.

That's why FedEx can't deliver to a PO box and (assuming the item would fit) can't leave your item in your mail box.

21. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

Same rules apply, I'm fairly certain.

22. HBOC macrumors 68020

When I ordered my first MBP, UPS effed up! I was home all day, and when I checked the tracking info, it said "delivery attempt #1 failed" or some sort of nonsense. I called Atlanta (headquarters) and I guess the driver was running behind and just did that to get home. They sent someone out to deliver it. It was on a Saturday as well, so I probably wouldn't get it until Monday or so.

23. brentsg macrumors 68040

Federal postal laws don't apply to UPS/Fedex, etc.

24. HBOC macrumors 68020

I am pretty sure that since FedEx is NOT government ran, it won't have the same laws as the PO.

25. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Nope they don't. However, even if U.S. mail was mis-delivered the incorrect receiver will not get in trouble for opening it.

You only get in trouble if you take mail from someone else's mailbox or break into a public mailbox and retrieve mail--that kinda thing.