And Here It Is...Trump's Yuuuuuuuuge Flip-Flop

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Aug 23, 2016.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Wow, his signature campaign issue and now he wants to do like Obama. Bwahhhhhhhhhhh.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...able-main_pp-deportation-150am:homepage/story

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Great that he used a term that has no meaning here. With more energy? What does that even mean? He'll insist that everyone doing the checks eats some Wheaties before?

3. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This directly contradicts the story he's been telling for over a year and with his own ad that started running a few days ago.

4. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

5. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

[​IMG]

Didn't know he had big feet.

Although we all know he would have to fill in impossibly big shoes in case he actually would be elected.

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

There go his 13 million votes.

7. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I'm confused, do people want him to maintain the hardline stance he had before? Are you upset that he has softened his rhetoric?

If so why? It seems like you were all pretty upset about his immigration stance before. This should be a step in the right direction for you guys. Something you would applaud.

Strange reaction IMO.

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah one meme I won't miss from the 2016 election season is the whole thing about low energy. Whenever it pops up again, I think about the Republican Party that I used to know. Whatever and however that party was, it was not snarky in a kind of low way. Feisty sometims, snippy, outrageous. Not smirking and snarky.

But hey, they want to keep that up, fine by me. Pretty soon they can bring in the bulldozers and start over.

9. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Some people want to make fun of Trump, others want to make fun of Clinton the policies espoused are absolutely irrelevant.

Now if we could just get someone funny to make fun of Clinton would could make PRSI great again

10. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Cool color scheme!

Bit it's no wonder Clinton is seen as being better for the economy, Trump might feel the plight of the people but the flip-flop crocs could indicate confusion...

But that's all supposition, flip-flop croc, doc. Is it any different to Clinton changing her mind on gay marriage - originally against, had an epiphany, and changed her opinion and belief accordingly? Why or why not? The same conditions and possibilities surely would apply equally to Trump as well as Clinton. Or Johnson. Or Stein. Or Cookie Monster, if he ran for the Presidency?

11. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

That would be misogynistic.

12. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I think most left-leaning folks would support this change, but there are a few other things to consider. I will always applaud someone moving to the right direction, if they do it for the right reasons.

- Trump has never governed before, so there is nothing to go on to predict his behavior. If he is apt to change his mind so often, it is increasingly difficult to predict what kind of president he would be. At the end of the day, voting for a candidate is really based on trying to predict how a person will be in the future.

- There are lots of ways he could have softened his stance, the fact he chose to do in a very hypocritical way shows how untrustworthy he is. He is now adopting the policy he has been criticizing for over a year. What other policies that he has he been criticizing is he willing to accept as good policy?

- Trump has not said why made this change. If he now sees his prior rhetoric was wrong, and the will of the citizens is something else, then explain it like that. If instead this is a calculation to gain some points in the polls or get some more big donors, it's not nearly as noble.

13. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

He changed his stance on a major campaign issue 2 months before the election as a result of being crushed in all the polls, are we supposed to believe he's even remotely genuine? This after calling Hillary a flip flopper and a liar.

All the people he has offended in the last year won't start to all of a sudden support him over his "change", and many people who did support him solely because of his hardline views will no longer do so. Smart move, Mr. Trump, keep on winning! :D

14. samcraig macrumors P6

No - It's good that he's changing his stance. However that wouldn't remotely convince me to vote for him. Nor does it make me believe him or that he will bring anything better to the table. Politically, he's in over his head.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 23, 2016 ---
    Don't dare call it pandering!

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

That is not quite funny enough! ;) But keep going, I was going to nominate you for this effort :D

I would so vote for Cookie Monster. LOL Ryan Lizza's cookie "deal" tweet the other day. I'm just hoping we don't get a two-Clintons-for-price-of-one starting in January. If I vote for one, I just want the one...

RyanLizzaSuchADeal.jpg

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If he actually follows through on keeping this stance that would be great, but the problem for him is that nobody who didn't like him before will trust him on this and it might push away some of his hard core supporters.

17. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

"Softened his rhetoric..."?? o_O

This is on par with Pastor Perkins saying "Actually, God loves the gays. And He wants us to love them and their lifestyle. Live and Let Love."

Softened his rhetoric. Wow.

18. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

People probably are sick of him pandering to which ever way the wind is blowing.

And now that dick head don is realizing he can't win without the minority vote, he's trying to back track.

19. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Read your post again a few times and tell me you'd be truly upset if Pastor Perkins said that.

You lefty's are strange people sometimes!

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well...it's not that strange if by "you guys" you mean people not thinking Trump is temperamentally fit to be Prez.

Look, the guy switched up his campaign manager and instantly "pivots" on a couple fronts that before that were firewalls. No runup to the changes. Boom, new managers, boom, new Donald.

One, he's suddenly regretful for a few things he might have said that might have offended some people who might have heard him say them or might have read about those things in

the ... godblasted media (but see he doesn't pivot on everything).​

Two, he pivots on immigration a little too fast for credibility. Needed to poke a little fun at himself? Like if Barack Obama can be caught buying bios of right wing politicians, Donald Trump can be caught joshing around a little about his flippin' wall, since you know, The Donald has a sense of humor now, big maybe. The "temperamental pivot"?

And btw one of the things I'll miss about President Obama is his sense of humor.

PrezWithASenseofHumor.jpg

21. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Alas, imagine that would be true..:eek:

" “It’s never been about me,” Trump said in Charlotte. “It’s about all the people in this country who don’t have a voice. I am running to be their voice.” He added, “There’s a reason the hedge-fund managers, the financial lobbyists, the Wall Street investors are throwing their money at Hillary Clinton. Because they know she will make sure the system stays rigged in their favor.”

In rhetorical terms, that’s not a bad spiel. Among the many things it ignores, however, are these:

1) Trump has just brought in a wealthy former Goldman Sachs investment banker, Steve Bannon, to run his campaign.
    2) The person Bannon’s replacing, Manafort, is a prominent Washington lobbyist whose lucrative arrangements with a pro-Russian party in Ukraine had turned into an embarrassing distraction. (Speaking to Fox News on Friday, Trump’s son Eric confirmed that’s why his dad canned Manafort.)
    3) Before making the personnel changes, Trump met with one of the richest and most reclusive hedge-fund managers in the country, Robert Mercer, who has a long record of supporting ultra-conservative causes, including Breitbart, the controversial news site that Bannon runs. While he previously supported the Presidential campaign of Senator Ted Cruz, it is widely expected that Mercer will now open his wallet for Trump.

“It’s the powerful protecting the powerful—the insiders fighting for the insiders,” Trump declared during his speech. In that, at least, he was telling the truth. About himself and his crew."

source

22. samcraig macrumors P6

Well we know he's not really sorry for saying those things. He's sorry they were blasted all over the media and it might have cost him votes.

23. vrDrew macrumors 65816

This is what Trump said to Bill O'Reilly:

This is the same Donald Trump that has made the spectre of hordes of murderous illegal aliens rampaging throughout our country, ignored by the Obama administration, a central part of his candidacy. There is a line between inconsistency and incoherence. Trump crossed it - and then some - in his comments to O'Reilly.

24. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Indeed it is.

Also on par to Obama: "I believe marriage is between a man and a woman. I am not in favor of gay marriage."

25. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Would seem Trump is in conflict with his campaign ad.

--- Post Merged, Aug 23, 2016 ---
    Not even close. Trump's campaign was based on immigration from the start. Obama hardly based his campaign on gay marriage. In other words, the very issue he ran on for over a year is now being discarded in a frenzied attempt to stop the bleeding.