and it begins...anyone related to Christmas banned from a Public School

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iOrlando, Dec 7, 2009.

1. iOrlando macrumors 68000

I just came across this link from google.

http://www.rep-am.com/articles/2009/12/03/news/local/453024.txt

summary: an elementary school principal is banning anything "Christmas" claiming the constitution says freedom of religion and he doesn't want to exclude those people who don't celebrate christmas. The best part? He is going so far as to ban Santa, Christmas Trees, Elves, and anything having to do with December 25. Their Christmas party is now deemed winter party.

i put this one in the "if I had a kid...I would not send them to public school because" list

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

:(

Sadly... the War on Christmas continues... new battlefields arise daily and the secular enemy has no tolerance... all we can do is defend traditional values of Christmas and hope the secular are exposed for what they are.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

The worlds gone mad, what about Christians right to celebrate Christmas?

5. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Wouldnt a better idea be asking the students to submit their faith's holiday to a teacher, compile them, and then have one day of December, seperate from the traditional dates, to celebrate all of them at once, to teach diversity and understanding? Like, celebrate them all on a day that is specific to no holiday.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Whaaaaa, maybe now you'll know what it feels like to be the minority religion for once.

Welcome to my hell of being surrounded by all things Christmas even though I don't celebrate it. I don't necessarily agree with the principal, but the people whining about it are just as bad. Damn right I have no tolerance. I have no tolerance for having someone else's religion shoved down my throat, whether it's Christmas crap everywhere I look or someone knocking on my door at 8:00 in the morning on a Sunday to ask me if I found jesus.

It's been awhile since I was in elementary school, but I'm pretty sure we did something similar to that. And it was called the winter party.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Pretty sure load of cocks are banned form the school too. Besides, it's a winter festival, shrinage. ;)

8. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Well, I think my definition of a "winter Party" was better, and tought better values, but whatever...

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Best not have candles as decor at the "winter party" as candles go on a menorah and menorahs are "religious". :rolleyes:

10. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

No, because Christmas is celebrated around the world and here in this nation on December 25th; the United States is an overwhelmingly Christian nation; and the traditional holiday transcends and encompasses both religious and secular citizens. I believe "diversity" is celebrated the third week of January and the month has cultural and diversity events to herald it as a concept.

December 25th celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ. Stop trying to change it.

Do you work on Christmas? I thought most businesses and government offices were closed...

11. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Sorry mein fuhrer. I forgot that all of your beliefs "transcend" those of others. If it matters that much, they can call December 25th "birth of Christ" day. Would you shut up then? Then you could celebrate the extra stuff whenever, because its not important, right?

Never mind, you wont respond to this because you're a coward post sniper.

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Damn straight.

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Have they lost him?

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

We are not a Christian nation. We're not a f***ing theocracy. We have a diverse group of religions practiced in this country. Stop trying to change it. If you love this theocracy crap so much, move to Iran. But stop trying to f*** with our Constitution by saying we are a Christian nation. We're not. I love this country too much to let the Christian Taliban take it over.

15. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

How about asking the children what they want? My guess is the children would like a party with out all the bollocks that surround the Xmas fable. Poisonous pedagogy indeed.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If my company gave me the choice, I'd work on Christmas and use that time off on another day of the year of my choosing.

Vegas. Alcohol. Bad ecstasy. I think they made a movie about it.

17. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I don't care what it celebrates or what it means to you or anyone else. For me it's a time to put up festive decorations and spend time with friends and family. I'm an Atheist but I really enjoy christmas.

18. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Christmas is just a fancy new name for Yule or the solstice festival anyway, it's got nothing to do with the Christian god.

Our public schools get all decked out for Christmas every year fir the following reasons:

1. Christmas is about family and presents, not Jesus anymore, it's hardly a religious holiday.

2. Those family who do follow a religion but have their kids in a public school don't really give a crap enough to look like a tool in front of the rest of the parents to demand that it all get pulled down.

3. I guess it's just too damned hot this time of year but our politicians don't give a crap either. They're too busy anyway fighting over who's environmental plan for a country of 22 million is going to end global warming. You know, useful stuff like that.

I'm an atheist and I really enjoy Christmas, getting together with family, hearing completely baffling christmas music about snowmen and reindeer whilst I try to stay out of the sun and as cool as possible.

It hasn't been a religious holiday in decades and the world is better for it.

19. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Yes we are. Numerous graphics showing the demographic of religious belief have been posted herein time and time again showing the clear majority of both religious faith and belief over secularism of Americans and the clear majority of Christian belief of Americans over other faiths. As I said, the majority of the United States is a Christian nation; belief in Christian faith(s) the clear and preferred religion in the nation.

However, we will look at any reputable evidence you care to post to back up your opinion. Have any?

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

QFT.

And it is NOT Christ's date of birth either. I think some Pope thought they best steal this celebration for their own purposes.

21. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Sorry I've tried reading that several times and to me it makes no sense at all.

22. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I don't really see the problem. XMas is mostly a B.S. marketing blitz anyway. Well, that and bible thumpers coming to my house uninvited in greater numbers, thinking it's OK to ignore my "No Solicitation" sign, to tell me I should accept their way of life.

As for the religious part of XMas, I'm agnostic and uncomfortable with any kind of religious celebration that takes place in a secular environment I'm required to be in (work, school, whatever).

23. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Curious...

Schools here [UK] all pretty much do something for Christmas. They will put a tree up, they'll have the kids do the nativity play, and all that jazz.

It's never struck me as a particularly religious thing though, it's done because it's tradition, and the kids enjoy it.

Is there a strong emphasis put on the religious aspects in American schools? Or is that a bit of a broad question, with it differing greatly depending where you go?

24. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It was about when the Romans went Christian, they decided in order to ease the transition of the pagans into their new religion that they would swap out Yule with Christmas and the spring fertility festival with Easter. It's why to this day a celebration of a supposed ressurrection of a revolutionary is associated with symbols of shagging and fertility (rabbits and eggs).

The dates are meaningless, Jesus certainly wasn't born in the middle of the northern winter and despite the Romans fairly decent record keeping over 2000 years ago, the day a fairly influential public figure was executed is still for some reason figured out based on the timing of a full moon.

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Every single bloody person in this country could be a practicing Christian, and that still does not make this a Christian nation. We do not have an official religion, our government isn't run by a church, we should not base our laws off a book of religious beliefs and we most definitely are not a theocracy. Despite your wishes, we are not a Christian nation.