iPad And it's official....I guess? [The best tablet you can buy]

Discussion in 'iPad' started by photoj2754, Aug 6, 2014.

1. photoj2754 macrumors 6502

photoj2754

2. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Just read this on my iPad Air.....smiling...... :) Of course she's a winner!

3. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

4. addictzz macrumors 6502

iPad Air & Mini has same score. Why iPad Air is declared as the winner?

5. cababah macrumors 68000

Bigger display --> better tablet

6. addictzz macrumors 6502

better tablet due to better color?

Bigger display comes with less portability. I am still lost how this could be a plus point. I would say a plus point is something that can't be compensated. If the plus point is better or warmer color for iPad Air then yes :)

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you read the article linked to in the OP, it says something to the effect that bigger is better because it gives a more immersive experience. Of course, if portability is the most important thing, then bigger isn't better, but I suppose the assumption is that for the majority of tablet users, portability isn't the most important feature. Because if it were, people will all just get the iPhone and nobody would buy any iPad, Air or Mini.

8. addictzz macrumors 6502

From what I read, one thing that makes bigger is better is the typing experience.

I think we are looking for a point where portability meets readability. iPhone does not meet readability criteria very well.

9. Tsepz macrumors 68000

Tsepz

As much as I agree WRT winner and runner-up, I can't really take the reviewer seriously, he claims the Samsungs have clumsy this and clumsy that, he doesn't really justify his reasons well enough. I've used a number of the Samsung tablets and I wouldn't call anything about them clumsy, the software can be a bit heavy but they do what they do very well and are seriously light and very comfortable to use, but Android still needs a lt of work in the tablet arena.

Overall, I'm glad the Air won, it's a fantastic tablet, I can't wait for the Air2 to arrive now :D

10. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

the feel or ease of typing on external keyboards was the reason sited in the article. The writer liked the selection of 3rd party keyboards for the Air.

11. cababah macrumors 68000

Sure the mini is more portable but let's not make the air seem like a lead brick; it's extremely light and portable as well. It just won't fit in your pocket.

It is a better tablet (IMO) because it offers a more complete user experience of bringing content like movies, e-books, internet browsing, productivity to the user as a result of its larger screen real estate. I think the mini compromises on a lot of those functions for the sake of having a higher portability but overall, the air ends up checking more boxes of "tablet functions."

12. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

To you.
    I think differently. The rMini excels.
    To me.

13. cababah macrumors 68000

Awesome, you have a different opinion than me. Isn't being human great...? :rolleyes:

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I've owned both and I could not disagree with you more. The retina Mini certainly does not truncate user experience.

15. cababah macrumors 68000

It has a much smaller display with noticeably inferior color reproduction. On a tablet device which is really "all screen" how is that not a truncated user experience?

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It is not to me and I assume others feel the same way. Likewise, I'm sure you can rally some folks who share your opinion...and start a club if you want. Your opinions are fine but do your very best in life to be sure you know the difference between an opinion and fact. It is not a fact that the retina mini offers a truncated user experience. It is your opinion and nothing more than that. I assume that you care about my opinion about as much as I care about yours. You don't have to bother with the mini so why in the world would you ever worry?

17. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

It made me smile to see the Air as the winner and the retina mini as runner up. While I personally use and prefer the retina for it's wonderful portability, I think that's about right. The Air has better color reproduction, the speakers are louder, and the user interface was designed for that size. I'm just happy to see both devices taking the top two spots.

18. CEmajr macrumors 601

Accurate article and not surprised as Apple is still a cut above the rest in the tablet sector. I prefer the Mini Retina over the Air though due to the size.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What? The poster you quoted clearly said that it is "IMO" that the Air is better. So they skipped ithe IMO in the one particular post you quoted. It's no reason for you to go off on a rant.

20. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GoCubsGo
    I've owned both and I could not disagree with you more. The retina Mini certainly does not truncate user experience.

IMO, having and using both I notice no difference in the color gamut. I have to actually put them side-by-side with the picture of certain color hughes to really notice any significant difference at all, and the difference is not necessarily worse to me. That difference does not lessen user experience in anyway.
    And one of the primary purposes of every tablet portability. :D So how is a more portable tablet worse? LOL

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I don't think anyone said more portable is worse. But what some people, including me, feel is that bigger is better (or conversely, smaller is worse), so in order to get a bigger tablet, we are willing to give up a litttle portability. Within reason, of course. If it gets too big, then it is no longer portable so it's no longer a tablet. On the other hand, if it gets too small, it's too small for tablet-type tasks. So there is this size range that makes sense for tablets, and within that range, some people prefer the upper end of the range, and others prefer the lower end.

22. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

NightSpring, as usual you're the voice of reason and I cannot agree with your assessment more. IMO, words like inferior and truncated are used to troll for responses, and they did.

23. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yep. This. The Air is extremely portable now as it is. Light, svelt, easy to maneuver. And, the screen size is KING. The mini is cute but just doesn't cut it.

24. runningtowin macrumors member

I had the Air and the Mini (actually I went Air --> Air + rMini --> Air) and I have to say, I think the Air is an all around better device. I do a lot of reading, and the rMini is fantastic, but the Air matches it. And the screen - maybe I had a defective rMini? I doubt it, but to me, the difference in screen quality was significant.

25. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

That may be the opinion of The Verge editors, but if I recall correctly the 2nd gen Nexus 7 won the reader's choice award for best tablet of 2013 on both Engadget and ign.

To each their own.