And now, a commercial message ...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Mar 27, 2011.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

While watching television, I saw this commercial today.

I controlled myself just enough to not throw the remote through the TV.

TV Ad: United States owes China

Thoughts?

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Saw it. I didn't want to throw the remote at the TV, but I did roll my eyes and think that there are no depths to which conservatives will not stoop.

If there are two things they're good at, it's impoverishing the middle class, and creating fearmongering bullcrap propaganda.

3. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

Wait, why are you guys so angry about this? It's a simple rule. You can't spend money you don't have without dipping a very deep hole very fast.

I always fight the urge to burst out laughing when I hear news anchors, internet articles, government reps, etc tossing around "billions" and "trillions" of dollars like chips. It's like Dr. Evil demanding "1 billion, gagillion, fafillion, shabolubalu million illion yillion...yen."

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I think we should be fearful of our out of control spending. Both sides refuse to see the other side's point. Until we have a meltdown, nothing will happen. We have a spending AND revenue problem.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Proper Keynesian response to a recession, particularly one headed quickly for a depression is deficit spending. Proven time and time again.

However, the neo-liberal whizz-kids who have been generally in charge of the consensus over the past 30 years always forget that the flip-side of the equation is to build a surplus when times are good, something that the Clinton (D) administration did by raising taxes on higher income earners and then handed it over to George W. Bush (R) who pissed it up the wall, giving tax cuts to billionaires and running up two wars without any of it being paid for in the long run, with the worst record of job creation of any president in history.

Cue massive recession and economic disaster after a housing bubble stoked by unregulated lenders, the dying days of the Bush and the incoming Obama administration had little choice to spend, because a recession is a problem of demand, not supply... as we can clearly see when corporations are now sitting on huge profits and the Dow is climbing steadily. But they're not creating jobs, because demand is slack, almost solely because of high unemployment.

Supply-side is a failure. It only looked good in the 80s because the Fed squeezed inflation out of the system by raising interest rates, then dropping them again... but interest rates across developed economies these days can hardly go lower. The limits of monetary policy, apart from measured quantitative easing, can go no further. Like Keynes said: like pushing on a piece of string.

The only way to raise demand is to pursue policies that further full employment. More jobs, more money in people's pockets, more revenue, more demand. However, Republicans in congress, after wasting many months of pursuing fruitless bills about abortion, defunding their pet hates etc. have a new, bright idea up their sleeves which I'm sure every forum member would like to see for themselves:

Lower wages and more unemployment

Why it's foolish:

We're already seeing the results of cutting spending during a recession over here in the UK and also Ireland. Unemployment on the rise, revenues down, services slashed, growth down.

Why do we put these fools in time and time again? Because many of us think like peasants:

So, the sight of the video in question, from a lobbying organisation with links to Jack Abramoff and that represents Exxon-Mobil amongst others, decrying government spending is nothing but empty but loud crap of the highest order. What they want is for government to spend money on them. Screw those who have lost their livelihoods, their jobs, their homes in the biggest recession in any of our lifetimes, let those suckers pay the bill. In fact, screw you, take a pay cut, be fearful of losing your job with all your benefits. We'll also press to weaken child labour laws so you're competing with kids...

Living standards have remained stagnant over the past decades, papered over by a housing bubble and cheap goods made in China while your healthcare costs have been going through the roof. But time and time again, you put the same oafs in who wrap themselves in the flag and carry a cross.

Jesus wept.

6. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

I think even this is probably too long to use as my sig. :(

But I would use the whole post if I could. ;)