And now for something completely & sadly different... Swatting.

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I'm not aware of how many here know anything of video gaming, but there's a disturbing occurrence in it called swatting. For the most part in the past it's something that has happened to 'streamers' people who play games online and have others watch. Some idiot *** troll calls the police with the address of the streamer, claiming there's a dangerous situation at the address, which the police respond to terrifying the innocent streamer. It's a horrifying disturbance, great risk, and never funny. Recently it took an even more horrible turn...

https://compete.kotaku.com/police-kill-28-year-old-after-prank-swatting-call-1821648110

A 28-year-old man was shot and killed by a Wichita police officer after a reported hostage situation call last night. At a press conference this afternoon, Wichita police said it was a false call meant to draw SWAT officers to the scene, an act known as “swatting.” It appears to have been linked to an argument over Call of Duty, although police have not confirmed that.

During a press conference today, Wichita deputy police chief Troy Livingston said the caller had reported a hostage situation. In the call, which was partially played at the conference, the caller said his father had been shot in the head and was not breathing, and that he had his family at gunpoint. He also claimed to have doused the house with gasoline.

“I might just light the house on fire, burn the whole thing down,” the caller told the dispatcher.

When police arrived on the scene, a man answered the door and was shot and killed by an officer.

The male was given verbal instructions and complied, said Livingston during the press conference. But according to the department’s statement, he reached towards his waistband, leading an officer to fire. The man was later confirmed to have been unarmed.
The number of things here that went shockingly wrong is amazing. The sad backstory to this

https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/29/16830440/call-of-duty-swatting-death-wichita-kansas

Call of Duty players point to a wager-based match of Search and Destroy in Call of Duty: WWII as the origin of the incident. Two teammates, “Miruhcle” and “Baperizer,” had an argument after a loss. According to tweets and direct messages involving the two players, Baperizer contacted a third person, who goes by the name “Swautistic,” to initiate a swat on Miruhcle.

Taunting Baperizer or Swautistic to come after him, Miruhcle provided an address in Wichita, suggesting it was his own home. That address led police to Finch’s residence instead. There’s no indication the victim was associated with any of the players. In a video interview with The Eagle, the victim’s mother, Lisa Finch, said her son Andrew was “not a gamer.”

Swautistic has a reputation for calling in fake threats, according to tweets from Call of Duty pro player Tommy "ZooMaa" Paparratto of Faze Clan. Paparratto posted screenshots of Swautistic’s supposed tweets, which contain threats to swat Paparratto and his girlfriend, as well as possible bomb threats targeting the Call of Duty World League in New Orleans.
Two idiots got into a beef over losing a CoD match over $1.50!! :mad: The supposed idiot troll who may have called it in has an appropriate nick name.

How does an idiot NOT make themselves look guilty before shutting down their twitter account after trying to change their name on it?

The whole situation is horrible, it seems that the police have acted with incredible swiftness.

Update [12/30, 10:49 a.m. ET]: Los Angeles County Jail services confirmed to local news that 25-year-old Tyler Barriss has been arrested in connection with the swatting incident.
The amount of blame being passed around for this is intense, not lost in all this is the officer who did shoot the innocent man at the door. Seemingly the man had no chance. So the idiot who started this is looking at possible federal charges, a police officer is under review ( the fact that the man shot was reaching for his waistband is a new addition after the police scrutiny came into call ) two children have no father, and all over $1.50.

Reactions: hulugu

ThisBougieLife

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2016
SF Bay Area, California
About Barriss:

"This isn't the first time Barriss has landed in trouble over fake 911 calls. In 2015, he was slammed with federal charges after getting arrested for falsely claiming to have planted bombs at the offices of an ABC affiliate in Los Angeles."

Sounds like he was already known for this kind of thing. Not sure if that means we have a "trend" here, but this will certainly alert the nation to it.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Seriously, any random person can call from anywhere and say "I'm being held hostage at <any address>" and an armed squad will show up and kick the door down and shoot people and the problem is the phone call?

This is, in no way, a defense of the jackass who called.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Alarming direction society is headed. Further troubling is the caller knew the victim’s address suggesting they were acquaintances.
The player gave the caller his address, as kind of a taunt (i.e., "come and get me, I live at ..."), but it wasn't actually his - that's what makes this all the more tragic, the man who got shot wasn't involved in _any_ of this, it was just his address that was given.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Disgusting. Clearly there is something very wrong with anyone who takes video games this seriously. I’ve seen a number of people with serious video game addictions, but this takes consequences to a whole new level.

Overall this is just a sad situation for everyone involved. The “swatter”, the victim and his family, the police, etc.

Seriously, any random person can call from anywhere and say "I'm being held hostage at <any address>" and an armed squad will show up and kick the door down and shoot people and the problem is the phone call?

This is, in no way, a defense of the jackass who called.
It’s pretty interesting. You look at this situation and an innocent man is dead. Then you look at something like the Cheshire Home Invasion of the Petit Family- where a family was taken hostage and the police are informed but do nothing because there are no apparent signs of trouble from outside of the house. The police did not make a move until after the father was beaten, bank account emptied, mother and daughter raped, house set ablaze, and mother and 2 children killed.

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
The player gave the caller his address, as kind of a taunt (i.e., "come and get me, I live at ..."), but it wasn't actually his - that's what makes this all the more tragic, the man who got shot wasn't involved in _any_ of this, it was just his address that was given.
Good god.

Thanks for the information.

DearthnVader

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Disgusting. Clearly there is something very wrong with anyone who takes video games this seriously. I’ve seen a number of people with serious video game addictions, but this takes consequences to a whole new level.

Overall this is just a sad situation for everyone involved. The “swatter”, the victim and his family, the police, etc.

It’s pretty interesting. You look at this situation and an innocent man is dead. Then you look at something like the Cheshire Home Invasion of the Petit Family- where a family was taken hostage and the police are informed but do nothing because there are no apparent signs of trouble from outside of the house. The police did not make a move until after the father was beaten, bank account emptied, mother and daughter raped, house set ablaze, and mother and 2 children killed.
Too many unprofessional police, being taught that the people are the enemy and or failing to do due diligence.

Suspended
May 28, 2017
The level of idiocy in the US is becoming alarming.
Human Idiocy Virus (HIV)

I hope the idiot that called the cops gets a lot of "love" from his fellow inmates, wherever he ends up.
[doublepost=1514668982][/doublepost]
Too many unprofessional police
Well, I don't know if the individual policemen are at fault. They were probably trained with "rules of engagement" that compelled them to respond with deadly force if someone went for something that could have been a weapon.

Have you ever been pulled over in your car by cops ? They will always keep an eye on your hands and any sudden movements will be considered suspicious, in case you're going for a gun.

I think it's the training itself that was likely the problem in this case. On the one hand, there is the question of self-defense, but on the other hand, innocent people get killed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gutwrench

DearthnVader

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Human Idiocy Virus (HIV)

I hope the idiot that called the cops gets a lot of "love" from his fellow inmates, wherever he ends up.
[doublepost=1514668982][/doublepost]

Well, I don't know if the individual policemen are at fault. They were probably trained with "rules of engagement" that compelled them to respond with deadly force if someone went for something that could have been a weapon.

Have you ever been pulled over in your car by cops ? They will always keep an eye on your hands and any sudden movements will be considered suspicious, in case you're going for a gun.

I think it's the training itself that was likely the problem in this case. On the one hand, there is the question of self-defense, but on the other hand, innocent people get killed.
What maybe a weapon vs what is likely weapon.

People tend to get nervous when you point a gun at them, they may say or do ill advised things, it's not an excuse to open fire on an unamed person, standing in their own doorway.

Reactions: ronntaylor

Suspended
May 28, 2017
People tend to get nervous when you point a gun at them, they may say or do ill advised things, it's not an excuse to open fire on an unamed person, standing in their own doorway.
Right. That's what I mean by "The training is the problem". My point was that the policemen were doing what they had been taught (training) and were obligated to do. So, it's not the policemen that are at fault, assuming they followed protocol exactly. It's their training/protocol that is at fault. If the policemen had deviated from their protocol, they would have come under intense legal scrutiny and probably faced the prospect of jail time themselves.

In other words, this is not an isolated or one-off event ... not isolated to those particular cops. This could happen anywhere in the world, if the same questionable protocol is followed by cops.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
It's always with the "He was reaching" excuse. I'm just waiting for the day when police shoot down a man with no arms and say "He was reaching".

Reactions: JayMysterio

Suspended
May 28, 2017
I'm just waiting for the day when police shoot down a man with no arms and say "He was reaching".
That is what happened in this case. The guy was totally unarmed.
[doublepost=1514670701][/doublepost]
I totally agree ... this is a serious loophole in the system. Ridiculous.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
The level of idiocy in the US is becoming alarming. :mad: Somebody should do serious jail time for calling the police in a hoax like this.

What an utter waste for all of those involved, including the children who will now be fatherless. :(
Incredible. All parties involved seem to have behaved like sociopaths in this instance... except for the completely innocent person that was shot for no good reason. :confused:

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
That is just horrific and deeply disturbing.

This is like a videogame equivalent of road rage with equally devastating results. Some people are so detached from reality that it seems like they fail to realize the potential consequences of their actions. That Twitter post collectively sums up something so wrong with America today, and how commonly people (of all ideologies) take zero accountability for their own terrible decisions and behaviors. It also shows just how little regard some people have for the safety and wellbeing of others.

I can't speculate as to the appropriateness/inappropriateness of the police officer's response relative to that specific incident and their SOP due to a lack of information at the time, but I think there obviously and absolutely needs to be a very, very thorough investigation on that front as well, considering how an innocent and unarmed person is now dead.

Things like this shouldn't happen in a "civilized" society.

Reactions: LizKat and tkermit

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
It really amazes me that we haven't invented a non lethal weapon to arm police with that would be as effective as a Glock or even an automatic weapon but ensure no loss of life. There must be a way to remove lethal weapons from police or anyone. Tasers are not the answer, nor are rubber bullets. Obviously I don't have the solution but shouldn't it be a priority to explore this?