And now it's Cold War II

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by scotthayes, Jul 8, 2008.

1. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Not only is bush happy with the complete f***up that is Iraq, spoiling for a fight with Iran now his crazy missile defense system has got Russia threatening military action if he goes ahead and ratifies the US-Czech deal to base interceptor missiles in the Czech Republic.

BBC News

Still, only 195 days left.

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Why the **** do we need "interceptor" missiles in the Czech Republic? What a load of ********. The "terrorists" don't have intercontinental ballistic missiles.

I'm so ****ing sick of this ********. NOBODY WANTS THESE ****ING THINGS except for the stupid ****ing military contractors who get no-bid contracts to build these ****ing things.

This is why I'm so god damn sick of this country.

3. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Exactly what i thought when i read the article, Cold War II. Not to mention the situation with Iran and Israel/USA at each others necks.
    I can't begin to express my anger at this.

:mad:

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That's the trouble with these Rapture freaks, they're always saying "Bring it on", they're spoiling for a fight. Oh, for someone in power who has a clue. Bush and all his cohorts are simply not fit for purpose.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

An anti-missle missle in your peculiar transatlantic parlance.

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I see, a defensive weapon. So if the Russians decide to launch missles they may have them shot down.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You may call them defensive, but for example if the Russians were to want to launch a missile against an incoming threat of their own, or for any other reason, their response would likely be compromised by the presence of such a "defensive" system. What self-respecting, independent world power would be happy to have their capabilities pre-empted in such a fashion? I think the US itself might have issues with such a position, don't you?

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Sure they would (object to missiles). Hopefully the missiles would just be used against missiles directed at the Czech Republic.

10. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Would that make them anti- anti-missile missiles?

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

International relations is not a science that deals in "hopefully"s. Nobody has suggested that these missiles are specifically to defend the Czechs. They are nothing but a provocation. What possible threat from Iran are they designed to mitigate? Iran has no offensive capability.

12. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

A weapon is a weapon, a missile is a missile. There is little difference between offensive and defensive.

"the best offense is a strong defense"

13. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Gotta love the Russians.:rolleyes:
    LOL I have a widget counting down until January 20, 2009:cool::D

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its simple History , Fact is Russia/USSR invaded those countrys and occupied them for decades. If you lived in Poland or Czech you would want those missiles, and tanks and a army and airforce to make sure it never happens again. Cant blame those guys with the Soviet Union History. Russia is still ran by communist and is hardly a democracy and is falling right back into its old ways.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Hey, that's (a) revisionism and (b) implying that the missiles are aimed at Russia, which they allegedly are not. Poland and Czechoslovakia were actually liberated by the Russians, not invaded (though in Poland's case the eastern bit was invaded under the Molotov-Ribbentrop carve-up in 1939, so it's somewhat moot...).

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

No Russia didnt liberate anyone after WW2, they took over these countrys with the UK & USA's lack of help after WW2. I feel sorry for anyone living under a communist flag anywhere in anytime.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

In Russian eyes, the UK and US were only incidentally involved in the Great Patriotic War of 1940-45. And they certainly did liberate Poland, Romania, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Eastern Germany (including Berlin) and much of Austria from the Nazis. Who on earth did if it wasn't them?

18. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

of course the soviets liberated europe from the nazis.

that they then decided to stay as an occupation force is a different story, but the fact that the nazis were defeated pretty much single-handedly by the red army is a well-established fact.
    we helped a little bit, but mainly just by accellerating the inevitable.

what the allies DID achieve was no so much to defeat germany (already a goner by the D-day), but to ensure that the soviets wouldn't take over the entire continent, which they surely would have.
    and the importance of this cannot be underestimated.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Correct, apart from the fact that "the allies" included the Soviet Union. :)

20. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

hehe, only in name...

21. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

from the link that scotthayes posted;

this whole plan looks like yet another thing that wont happen

22. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Granted the range of missiles isn't there, but Iran isn't without any offensive capability.

CNN

23. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Your quote merely reinforces my point that there is no conceivable threat from Iran which any missile shield in the Czech Republic or Poland could possibly mitigate. Despite any bluster and bravado being deployed by Ahmadinejab as a natural reaction to the extremely threatening posture of the US and Israel, these US missiles are clearly designed purely to provoke the Russians. Why else position missiles in Poland? Have you looked at a map lately?

25. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Why provoke Russia?

That's ridiculous. One is to kill people, one is to prevent people from being killed.