And so the international blowback against Trump begins.

webbuzz

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2010
How do you feel about spending hundreds of billions of dollars to repair the damage from rising sea levels? From droughts and wildfires? From ruined crops? From more-frequent, more-destructive hurricanes?

Just so some gap-toothed hillbillies can dream about getting the same lousy job that killed their grandpa, in a coal mine that closed thirty years ago.
Dane County?

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Goodwill based on what they can get from us or we probide them at our expense. That kind of goodwill we can do without.
Yes. It looks like we'll be doing without pretty much any kind of goodwill, won't we? Trump isn't trying to make friends here. I don't think Trump even understands the concept of "friendship". We're entering a world now where treaties are disposable, alliances are disposable, the very environment is disposable...
[doublepost=1496444112][/doublepost]
I don't think It's fair to stick with a pledge that uses tax payer dollars to help fund lesser developed nations to eventually go green. At the very least Congress should have voted on this. Why didn't Obama send this to the Senate?
Ah, yes, that's right! The Paris Accord was an agreement that takes dollars from US taxpayers and sends them off to lesser developed nations. Oh, and by the way, NATO also takes dollars from US taxpayers and sends them to European nations. Yup, that's exactly what those agreements do.

Reactions: MLVC

DrewDaHilp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
All Your Memes Are Belong to US
French defense expert?
How do you feel about spending hundreds of billions of dollars to repair the damage from rising sea levels? From droughts and wildfires? From ruined crops? From more-frequent, more-destructive hurricanes?

Just so some gap-toothed hillbillies can dream about getting the same lousy job that killed their grandpa, in a coal mine that closed thirty years ago.

Carry on though. Glad to see you haven't learned.

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH

Al Gore Promised us more destructive hurricanes immediately after Katrina 12 years ago. Where are they?

We heard that Trump was a war monger and that we'd be in endless war if he was elected? Where do we have boots on the ground?

There have been countless "doom and gloom" predictions that never come true. There are many right in your post. Why should anyone believe your predictions when you guys have such a poor record?

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Al Gore Promised us more destructive hurricanes immediately after Katrina 12 years ago. Where are they?

We heard that Trump was a war monger and that we'd be in endless war if he was elected? Where do we have boots on the ground?

There have been countless "doom and gloom" predictions that never come true. There are many right in your post. Why should anyone believe your predictions when you guys have such a poor record?

iLunar

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2006

Wasn't Obama from Kenya? And the Muslim Brotherhood was going to take over with Sharia law? And guns were going on to be banned? And whatever happened to the Obamacare death panels?

Reactions: Thomas Veil

alex2792

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
Oh no, some snobby European bureaucrats got their jimmies in a bunch. EU won't do a thing, because they know that without US military protection they would be speaking Russian or Chinese.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
1. Wasn't Obama from Kenya? 2. And the Muslim Brotherhood was going to take over with Sharia law? 3. And guns were going on to be banned? 4. And whatever happened to the Obamacare death panels?
1. Hillary supporters started the birther movement
2 they did thanks to him in Libya
3. Ha. He changed the law so he could arm terrorist
4. Died

Rhonindk

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2014
watching the birth of the Dem WTH Party
Yes. It looks like we'll be doing without pretty much any kind of goodwill, won't we? Trump isn't trying to make friends here. I don't think Trump even understands the concept of "friendship". We're entering a world now where treaties are disposable, alliances are disposable, the very environment is disposable...
[doublepost=1496444112][/doublepost]

Ah, yes, that's right! The Paris Accord was an agreement that takes dollars from US taxpayers and sends them off to lesser developed nations. Oh, and by the way, NATO also takes dollars from US taxpayers and sends them to European nations. Yup, that's exactly what those agreements do.
Why do you insist on this being the end of all good will? Diplomatic friendship and cultural friendship differ. It is time we stop financing the diplomatic ones. Sorry you disagree but the PA is economic in nature.

It is time we stop trying to finance world change. It doesn't work and is helping bleed us into insolvency.

Reactions: jkcerda

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Be nice if it happened sooner, and I understand it's all diplomacy, but as Trump doesn't believe in that I wonder if using his own brash attitude against him is the best option. Hmm.

Reactions: jpietrzak8

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Visit site
Trump isn't trying to make friends here. I don't think Trump even understands the concept of "friendship".
I think that is actually profoundly true.

Donald Trump Poisons the World

By treating the world simply as an arena for competitive advantage, Trump, McMaster and Cohn sever relationships, destroy reciprocity, erode trust and eviscerate the sense of sympathy, friendship and loyalty that all nations need when times get tough.
By looking at nothing but immediate material interest, Trump, McMaster and Cohn turn America into a nation that affronts everybody else’s moral emotions. They make our country seem disgusting in the eyes of the world.

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Why do you insist on this being the end of all good will?
Friendship isn't something you create in a five-minute phone call. When wars break out, the nations who ally themselves together are those which have forged a relationship over the previous years. Economic agreements take time to be created, and must be managed over time to be maintained.

And yes, when you disparage people, they remember. Trump likes to insult people. He does it all the time. He's doing it to other nations. He doesn't seem to think that people will remember that they've been insulted, or that they will care if they do.

He's burning our bridges.

Diplomatic friendship and cultural friendship differ.
Again, Donald Trump doesn't understand the term "friendship". You are treated as either a profit, or a loss. If you are a profit, Trump will use you. If at any time he sees you as a loss, he will throw you into the trash.

Friendships don't work that way!

Reactions: IronWaffle

niploteksi

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2016
Good guys always win. I'm the good guy :D
Maybe in the Disney remake.
[doublepost=1496499653][/doublepost]
Oh no, some snobby European bureaucrats got their jimmies in a bunch. EU won't do a thing, because they know that without US military protection they would be speaking Russian or Chinese.
Actually, I think we would be just fine without it since Russia does not enforce and expansionist politic. Even if they did, they don't spend nearly enough on their military. Russia is dangerous because of their propaganda machine and all the useful idiots in the west, who know idolize Putin because they have the hots for totalitarian "macho men" wielding the covfefe.

The reason Europe won't break with the US is trade. https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c0003.html

Hopefully this whole episode will show the policy makers in the EU that they should look for deeper partnership with Asia. Possibly including Russia, if they can get their act together. Maybe Putin will put on the "benevolent" approach once they have pushed the US aside?

The UK and the US will always be important trade partners, but maybe it's time to look east. I find it both disconcerting and curious that Merkel would talk about better relations with the Russians. The trade between Russia and the EU has been decreasing over the last few years, but closer economic ties with the east would lessen the probability of armed conflict. It will be an interesting time for sure. May and Trump aren't exactly making it easier for the leaders in the EU.

EDIT: and... eeeh Chinese? The US military stops Chinese investments?

Last edited: