And thank you for flying Partisan Airlines

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Okay, so I'm reading this light article about Marco Rubio and his woes with airline flight lately.

And on it went, elaborating on the problems. Then I get to this part:

Strange thing to tweet. I mean, don't all Americans love liberty? Don't those of us who are not strict constructionists nevertheless believe in the Constitution?

...You know what Rubio really meant, don't you?

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yes...the dumb notion some conservatives have that all liberals hate America and want to turn it into some sort of communist hell hole. Actually, I don't even think they really believe that. They just like to scare their base into thinking it so they won't drift away to the Democratic party. The GOP party has become the party of fear. Fear of anything or anyone different. Fear of change. Fear of new ideas. Fear of the changing demographics. If only they had outreached many years ago, there would be nothing to fear. Instead they got stuck in a rut and now are starting to pay the price for that short sightedness. It's not irreversible. But it will take a whole lot of years...decades..to fix. And a change in mindset.

3. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

It reminds me of that scene from The Newsroom that hit the internet a few months ago. A panel of people were asked why America is the greatest country on Earth and almost everyone responded along the lines of "freedom" or "liberty" or something, as if only Americans know what freedom and liberty are! So yes, very strange thing to tweet but not surprising sadly.

4. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

That would seem to support the study that reported apparent neurological differences between conservative and liberal brains. The right-wing types seem to have a larger amygdala (emotion and fear center) compared to the left-wing types' larger anterior cingulate cortex (complex information processing center), so of course they will appeal to paranoid anxieties whenever possible and advocate simpler solutions.

But this can only be perceived as "hating" on them :rolleyes:

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

That does not surprise me. It makes sense actually. I have always wondered if people were prewired up to be more liberal or more conservative. Kind of like the whole "born that way" debate that gay people have to put up with. Then there are the swing voters. I guess that makes them the bisexuals of the political world. :)

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Might want to reread the article, especially the last paragraph. You seem to be reading in a bit too much and are only isolating the bits of information that sound good to you.

No one is born a liberal or conservative, the labels don't even cross international borders.

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I never actually suggested that anyone was "born" that way. No one is born a christian, buddhist, scientologist or whatever, but they sure do acquire pretty strong metaphysical opinions, usually from upbringing. If you develop habits that nurture your lizard brain, chances are it will become dominant, similarly, habits that cleave toward complex analysis will likely grow your pre-frontal cortex. Once you build a mental muscle up, it will be inclined to stay built up unless you actively work to suppress it. Maybe there is a significant congenital factor at play, but more likely it is a complex interplay of various elements.

8. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

No...but since the discussion has taken an unexpected turn in this direction...

I have wondered for a while now how much sociopathy plays into conservatism.

Thanks to the media, the word "sociopath" conjures up images of calculating, cold-blooded killers like Hannibal Lecter (in fiction), Vlad Tepes (in history) and Jeffrey Dahmer (in modern times). But much in the way that the public is only now beginning to understand that autism exists on a wide spectrum, ranging all the way from the functionally undiagnosed person to one with severe symptoms, sociopathy certainly exists on a similar spectrum. Few sociopaths are outright homicidal. Many more have problems relating to and sympathizing with other people.

It would seem to me that for people who have problems with empathy, who are not bothered by guilt or who are prone to blame others, the philosophy of modern conservatism offers a comfortable fit. Shared responsibility is anathema; what matters is what benefits the believer.

So perhaps certain characteristics with which you are born do help you gravitate to one group or the other.