And that is why I go to carrier stores (new ones are best - Verizon)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blackforge, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Blackforge macrumors 6502

Arrived at about 7:20. 7th in line. 8 rolls around and they take the first 10 customers. This is why I usually go to the carrier stores (especially new ones) for new iPhones.

This is where it turns to crap... What should only be a 10 minute transaction turns into a 30+ minute ordeal of: "No, I just want the phone..."

"No edge plan... Just the phone..."
    "I didn't ask for that mophie case.... just the phone"
    "No... no speakers... just the phone..."
    "I did not ask or want an iPad Mini... just the phone"
    "No, I need the entire thing on my credit card for the extended warranty, just the phone"

This goes on for awhile...

I'm pretty sure I saw the head sales manager shake his head "no" to the girl to let me out of there with only the phone.

Got my Space Grey 64GB, but was about to walk out and switch to T-Mobile or AT&T and pay an ETF at this point. AT&T never did any high pressure sales tactics. Hell, I've bought cars with less frustration. Ugh... At this point Verizon can kind of suck it.

2. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Same thing, in line a little after 7... number 4. Got the silver 64GB. No high pressure sales though, out by 8:15.

Last time I arrived at 8 and was number 30, waited 2 hours for people to get their phones and my turn to come up. Ended up with the last phone they had. Paid off to come about an hour before they opened, less time waiting.

3. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

Verizon is notorious for trying to sell accessories and other crap. I usually tell them I only want the phone and not to offer me anything else before they even ask. You have to make it very clear from the start otherwise it's gonna be question after question.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'll say that the VZW store is the only carrier store to ever make me feel as though I can't get out without buying something else. I bought one phone from VZW's store once and that will be the last time. I don't want their overpriced cases, speakers, docks, screen protectors, extra insurance, etc. etc.

I often think VZW trains their people at the same place where DirecTV folks are trained. These asshats are conditioned to sell you just about everything but the one thing you asked for to begin with!

That being said, if stock is low and I need to buy in person, often those stores have stock. If I must go I'll drink first. ;)

5. Blackforge thread starter macrumors 6502

Did that and they didn't listen.

6. sportykid2332 macrumors regular

Similar problem with AT&T this morning.

Me: "What models do you have today"
    Rep: "Everything except gold 5s"
    Me: "Ok, I'll take a silver 32gb"
    Rep goes to the back of the store comes out with the space grey model.
    Me: "No, I want the silver model"
    Rep pretends to not hear me and quickly tears off the plastic wrapping
    Me: "STOP! I said silver, not space grey. That's not the right model.
    Rep: "Oh, well this is the only color we have" stares at me like I should just settle.
    Me: "No, I do not want it"
    Rep: "Are you sure, it's already opened"
    Me: "Yes, absolutely sure, and I won't be ordering the one I want from you either."

Seriously, it was an absolutely ridiculous exchange..

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Precisely why I don't go to the stores (among other reasons). To each his/her own.

8. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502

I would be FURIOUSSSS

9. mr1581 macrumors 6502

AT&T was pushing their home automation service while we were waiting in line. I was #7 as well so didn't have to hear it for long. They asked twice if I had heard about their "next" program which i politely declined and that was pretty much it.. no other crazy BS

10. Godzilla71 macrumors 6502

Godzilla71

Wow! that sucks that they try and be so damn pushy with other accessories. That is another reason why I am heading down to my local apple store instead of a carrier store. When I went and bought my iPhone 4s I went the day after the launch date. their system was being kind of slow but I stood there patiently (tried to be anyways) then a manager came by and apologized for the activation taking so long he pointed to the accessory wall and told me to choose a case of my choice on the house. :eek: :cool: blew me away and it was very cool. That is why I am returning there for my upgrade just because of that great customer service. :cool: It was my very first apple store experience and it was a great one.

11. DaGrandMastah macrumors 6502a

I went to my local Verizon store and was approximatley the 20th in line...arrived at about 730 AM. It took an hour and a half to go through but I was able to snag the 64 gb space grey i wanted. I did ask the guy and he said that they didn't get any gold phones in and that most people wanted the 16gb or 32gb. They had some stock left but it was going quick.

Cancelled my order online that i put in at 3 am. No interest in selling for a profit to screw someone else out of their money.

For what it's worth, they did try to sell me on accessories but i kindly told them i wasn't interested and he didn't push me at all.

12. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502

Whenever reps try to sell me on ANYTHING that Im not asking for, I find this usually works very well.

I just give them an emphatic "Nope"

Just 1 word guys, don't say anymore than that. If they keep pushing, just keep saying "Nope".

Works very well for me.

13. Xerotech macrumors 6502

When I was younger and visited a Verizon store for a cheap phone replacement. The lady there simply grabbed accessories and rung it up. I was furious, I didn't want it, why are you ringing up this? :mad:

14. carelesswhisper macrumors member

I got the same thing in AT&T this morning. I wanted to just tell the girl, "Look, I just what the phone!!" She was pushing a car charger (which I do eventually want to get), a case, all kinds of add ons. She also made a big deal that I didn't want to trade in my 4S for $200. I told her it was because I could get more for it online. She agreed that was true but was still shocked beyond belief I didn't go for the trade.

15. Blackforge thread starter macrumors 6502

My sales person grabbed an iPad mini, speaker dock and mophie juice box case along with my phone and started to try to ring them all up. All things I had just finished saying I had no interest in.

It took me a lot of restraint not to yell out loud "WTF ARE YOU DOING? I SAID THE PHONE ONLY!"

16. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I didn't get my phone today, but siri didn't ask me if I wanted any accessories while I was ordering in bed. :D

17. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502

I would die laughing if someone did that to me.

18. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

It's called "Three On Top." Some managers require them to bring out three additional items for you to ponder while they activate your phone. iPhone is the least profitable phone for them. They have to try to make it up on accessories, insurance and new line activation. This is why they are so pro-android and anti-iPhone. It's also what happens when the majority of the reps income is from commission. For years, I have been pushing the Verizon people I work with to adjust the compensation structure to focus on doing what's right for the customer. It works for Apple yet Verizon just doesn't see it.

19. Spacial macrumors 6502

Moral of the story?

Apple creates so much hype they influence their otherwise smart customers to line up like sheep and subject themselves to risky behavior. Common sense goes out the window.

Then when things don't go smoothly the Apple worshipers cry.