And the Clinton lead narrows.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FieldingMellish, Aug 19, 2016.

1. FieldingMellish Suspended

"Pew Research Center: Clinton has a narrow lead"

"Washington (CNN)Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton has a narrow nationwide lead against her Republican rival, Donald Trump, in a four-way match-up that includes third-party candidates, according to a new poll released Thursday."

----> If the Clinton News Network says it, it must be serious.

This loaded statement is almost comical:

"However, Trump supporters trust Clinton more than Clinton supporters do -- on one thing.
    When asked if they expected Clinton to continue President Barack Obama's policies if elected, 63% of Clinton supporters said yes. Among Trump supporters, the number was 80."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/18/politics/pew-research-center-poll-2016-election/index.html

2. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Heard this on my way in this morning. I hope that Johnson and Stein make the debates. Is there a reason they feel they need 15% just to debate? Honest question that I've never cared about until this election.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

I thought polls didn't matter, only attendance?

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Johnson needs to drop weld to have a chance.

6. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

There is no Clinton lead. She was never winning. It's all ********.

They will bring in Johnson and Stein to hopefully take votes away from Trump. Trump is filling arenas in swing states and Hildebitch can barely stand up in a high school gym with 10 people!

7. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Are Trump supporters against 77 months in a row of job growth? The longest consecutive streak of any president ever since BLS began keeping the records... is a bad thing?

8. samcraig macrumors P6

9. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

That's not so impressive. Seeing Trump in an arena is free. Coldplay or Beyonce are filling arenas this summer too, and they're charging for tickets.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

And both have successful business and the same political experience!

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Hillary had to PAY to get seats filled at the coronation.

12. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Frankly you'd have to pay me to sit through a political rally of any party or candidate. Who has time to go to these things?

I'll just Google "which candidate is least likely to plunge the US into recession?" and "which candidate is least likely to start a war?" the day before the election and vote based on that.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

I ask again - who gives a flying fig about attendance at a rally?

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

ha, Hillary has supported plenty of wars.

15. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Mainstream Media Reality Distortion Field ..bought and paid for by..

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you seemingly do, perhaps you are trying to appease yourself?

17. samcraig macrumors P6

Do I care? Enough to post that I don't I guess. But like I've written before - I care more about the issues and what the candidates say hen how many people are in the audience.

18. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

They both have. My guess is this:

Odds of intentionally starting a war after diplomacy fails:
    12% - Hilary
    6% - Trump

Odds of intentionally starting a war without first trying diplomacy:
    5% - Hilary
    15% Trump

Odds of accidentally starting a war:
    1% - Hilary
    45% - Trump

Odds of accidentally starting a war by talking about nukes on Twitter:
    0% - Hilary
    50% - Trump

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

words VS actions.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 19, 2016 ---
    YOU, guessing those not showing up for Hillary will also stay home come NOV.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

I don't equate one with the other. Was nothing learned about Mitt Romney's campaign? Even the reporter on Fox News copped a confession there...

21. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

When it comes to actions, Trump has actually said or posted a lot of very confusing things that when taken the wrong way could start a war. One major job requirement of being president is having clear communication skills.

Also, I look at incentives: Despite the cronyism, I believe Clinton wants to leave a positive legacy in the history books. I think that is the first thing that drives her. Presidents that start unpopular wars generally will not be remembered favorably. Trump on the other hand, is driven by profit. You know who makes a lot of money in wars, popular and unpopular ones? Land developers make a lot of money.

22. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended

“Clinton's lead over Trump narrows to less than three points: Reuters/Ipsos poll”

August 6th.
    Article:

Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton's lead over Republican rival Donald Trump narrowed to less than 3 percentage points, according to a Reuters/Ipsos opinion poll released on Friday, down from nearly eight points on Monday.

About 42 percent of likely voters favored Clinton, to Trump's 39 percent, according to the July 31-Aug. 4 online poll of 1,154 likely voters. The poll had a credibility interval of plus or minus 3 percentage points, meaning that the results suggest the race is roughly even.

Among registered voters over the same period, Clinton held a lead of five percentage points, down from eight percentage points on Monday, according to the poll.

The reasons behind the shift were unclear.

Clinton had pulled well ahead of Trump on the heels of the Democratic National Convention last week, where she became the first woman to accept the U.S. presidential nomination from a major political party.

Since then, Trump has engaged in a days-long feud with the family of an American soldier killed in Iraq and squabbled with the Republican leadership over his comments and leadership turmoil within his campaign.

Trump, in recent days, however, has sought to refocus. On Friday he announced his economic policy advisory team, said he would deliver an economic policy speech early next week, and was expected to endorse U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Paul Ryan, the top U.S. elected Republican, who is seeking his 10th term in Congress.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-poll-idUSKCN10G2BQ

23. samcraig macrumors P6

Hmm latest says otherwise

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...s/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think the issue is that Trump is doing better than expected in the non swing states that usually vote Democratic but worse in the swing states.

To be honest I'd expect swing state voters to be more honest as they likely change their mind more often and have less polarised groups of friends.

25. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Presidents can start wars? Funny, I thought it requires a declaration by Congress as stated in the law (Constitution).